REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   New Pho place on W41st in Kerrisdale (near W Boulevard)? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582647-new-pho-place-w41st-kerrisdale-near-w-boulevard.html)

sonick 07-15-2009 08:26 AM

New Pho place on W41st in Kerrisdale (Pho Tan's)

Went to the Dim Sum place on 41st a few days ago, and noticed that there was a Pho place near the Liquor Store there... is this a new joint?

If not, is it any good? If so, anybody tried it? I work by there, and would be awesome if there was a decent Pho place close by.

shenmecar 07-15-2009 08:54 AM

try it out for lunch one day, then tell us!

bcrdukes 07-15-2009 09:07 AM

It used to be an old bubble tea joint, the name slips my mind, but it's changed hands over a few times.

sonick 07-15-2009 09:15 AM

Ah, gotcha. It's now "Pho Tan's Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup & Bubble Tea Restaurant" I believe.

Expresso 07-15-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6508698)
It used to be an old bubble tea joint, the name slips my mind, but it's changed hands over a few times.

Oasis right?

After that it turned it to some BBT + Vietnamese food place this was years ago tho.

Sp3cial_K 07-15-2009 10:17 AM

oasis was one of the orginal places to get bbt.. and an awesome chill place.. then it got really expensive..and now its a pho place..sigh..

hamsup 07-15-2009 10:53 AM

it was oasis.. and now it's pho tan...

The restaurant set up still resembles oasis... so its weird to have a bbt counter that is 1/4 of the restaurant.. lol..

I am curious if this pho tan is the same as the one on main street....
(their spring rolls are not those store bought ones..which is a perk)

ilvtofu 07-15-2009 11:39 AM

Just went two weeks ago, wasn't great, bland and not great value.

November 07-15-2009 12:13 PM

It is the same one as on Main street except this one is more of an "express" sort of thing. Limited menu

sonick 07-15-2009 12:22 PM

Just got back from there for Lunch. $6 for a small, $7 for large of all major kinds of Pho. I got rare beef and tripe.

It was fine, not great, not bad. Broth wasn't too salty or MSG-y, but was bland and didn't have much depth of flavour. Noodles were kinda mushy, but not the worst.

Would go again as it's close to my office and not terribly offensive.

Talked to a young guy there, says they've been open since early May. Not sure if its Express or not, but the menu is fairly comprehensive with about 60 items including various rolls, bahn mi, pho, noodle soup, stir fry, curry, rice, and vermicelli (grabbed a take out menu on the way out).

ooops 07-16-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6508944)
It was fine, not great, not bad. Broth wasn't too salty or MSG-y, but was bland and didn't have much depth of flavour. Noodles were kinda mushy, but not the worst.

^couldn't agree with you more! overall not great, but not terrible either, was edible to say the least... really nothing to rant/rave/comment/complain about.

oh! except the vietnamese iced coffee.. it was terrible! they don't use the regular vietnamese beans? they used like regular coffee beans and it was super watery like it had not dripped properly i'm not sure..

Nvasion 07-16-2009 08:46 PM

thats my friends restaurant. its fairly new and its related to the one on main street. i like their bun bo hue there. their bubble tea is fairy decent.

sonick 07-17-2009 10:51 AM

Mmmm, almost lunch time. Bún bò Huế sounds good.

Domani 07-17-2009 11:29 AM

oasis was awesome, taiwanese owner too

sonick 07-17-2009 11:50 AM

Just had the Bun, it was quite good. Great balance of heat, not too salty. Found a nice piece of pork knuckle in there with skin and hairs still intact; good to know it's authentic!

Will be one of my regular lunch places when I forget my lunch from now on!

There's a young asian guy working there, I think he's the owner, or at least manager.

Nvasion 07-17-2009 08:41 PM

hes the son of the owner. hes the front worker, his sister works sometimes also i believe. the son does open-close like 6 days a week lol (family business owned)