REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red Plates (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582648-red-plates.html)

Dan_Guy 07-15-2009 08:40 AM

Red Plates

Was just wondering whats the difference between regular plates and those red ones with white lettering.

( not sure if been asked before )

skidmark 07-15-2009 09:10 AM

The red ones are Diplomatic plates.

http://www.bcpl8s.ca/ is a great source of information on BC plates.

Dan_Guy 07-15-2009 12:05 PM

do people w/ red plates not get pulled over?

I know a friend got hit and run by a red plate that he wasnt fast enough to write down... never found him

BNR32_Coupe 07-15-2009 03:00 PM

they have complete immunity. i can imagine they can get pulled over and warned for speeding, running reds, etc, but they cant get ticketed or arrested.

they're our countries guests, after all. it would cause a major stir if a really high-profile leader of another country was arrested or heavily fined for some kind of driving mistake

Dan_Guy 07-15-2009 03:15 PM

above the law hmm.....

cool thanks =)

PACER 07-15-2009 03:44 PM

The plates do not have immunity, only if the driver is a foriegn dignitary or foriegn consulate employee.... Some of my guys have pulled them over for varrious reasons.... one casue they did not believe the plate was real, he was not a traffic guy but a regular patro officer. (ICBC changed them but did not do a very good job of advising those that enforce, oops)

Solo_D33A 07-15-2009 04:44 PM

I thought someone like mayor or some sort a few years ago before from Canada was ticketed for speeding in Hawaii or something???

skiiipi 07-15-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACER (Post 6509194)
The plates do not have immunity, only if the driver is a foriegn dignitary or foriegn consulate employee.... Some of my guys have pulled them over for varrious reasons.... one casue they did not believe the plate was real, he was not a traffic guy but a regular patro officer. (ICBC changed them but did not do a very good job of advising those that enforce, oops)

but would a police officer be less likely to pull over a car with a red plate, because the passenger in the vehicle could potentially be an important individual in another country.

i also understand that there are different letters in front of the plates that states your position/rank, cause i've seen pos tercels and other older cars around with the red plates, I highly doubt an Ambassador or someone of that stature would ride in one of those.

int36ra 07-15-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 6509267)
I thought someone like mayor or some sort a few years ago before from Canada was ticketed for speeding in Hawaii or something???

Gordon Campbell, the Premier of BC got a DUI down there.. he's not a diplomat though he was just on holiday if i remember correctly

jlenko 07-16-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6508700)
http://www.bcpl8s.ca/ is a great source of information on BC plates.

That's a neat site there Skidmark, thanks! Especially the Expo 86 plates...

Quote:

Originally Posted by int36ra (Post 6509789)
Gordon Campbell, the Premier of BC got a DUI down there.. he's not a diplomat though he was just on holiday if i remember correctly

Yup... the convicted criminal running our province. We laughed at the stupid Americans who voted Bush in for a second term... yet we voted him in for a third? Wow.. we suck. :haha:

Soundy 07-16-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACER (Post 6509194)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 6509704)
but would a police officer be less likely to pull over a car with a red plate, because the passenger in the vehicle could potentially be an important individual in another country.

There would be plenty of legitimate reasons the car might still be pulled over. As PACER says, the plates have no inherent immunity. If the driver commits a moving violation, he may not have diplomatic status, and would still be ticketable. Or if you watch too many movies ;) it's possible the diplomat inside is being held hostage and would very much appreciate being pulled over!

(Just remembering that scene from Lethal Weapon 2: "Diplomatic Immunity!" *bang!* "...has just been REVOKED.")

shenmecar 07-16-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6510088)
There would be plenty of legitimate reasons the car might still be pulled over. As PACER says, the plates have no inherent immunity. If the driver commits a moving violation, he may not have diplomatic status, and would still be ticketable. Or if you watch too many movies ;) it's possible the diplomat inside is being held hostage and would very much appreciate being pulled over!

(Just remembering that scene from Lethal Weapon 2: "Diplomatic Immunity!" *bang!* "...has just been REVOKED.")

Too much movie for you!

Anyways, couple months ago, Richmond Pro badminton had a sort of international competition held there. There were at least 4 cars with red plates outside in the parking lot. Now i know what they are

underscore 07-17-2009 05:15 PM

if the cars never got pulled over, would that not be a primo car for a thief to steal?

stutterr 07-18-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6512416)
if the cars never got pulled over, would that not be a primo car for a thief to steal?

ya sure..because who wouldn't report their car being stolen to police...especially a diplomat......:haha:

underscore 07-18-2009 11:12 AM

well it takes time for them to notice. it gets jacked at night, doesn't get reported til the next day... the car would be long gone

johny 07-18-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6512416)

probably gps tracked...

gnu5 07-19-2009 11:49 AM

my friends dad is a diplomat, he has red plates, i dont think they would get charged for moving violations because they could be an emergency at the consulate, before they changed to red plates, they plates would say CONSUL-DXX or sumtin like that, but usually they are just normal cars with red license plates