REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   cooking on a bed of coals.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582666-cooking-bed-coals.html)

hamsup 07-15-2009 10:59 AM

cooking on a bed of coals..

I am going camping and will not have access to a stove, pots/pans, nor habachi (bbq).... I have no access to coolers.. and am camping overnight.. I have to pack light as well.... (no running water as well).

I will have charcoal and will probably be cooking in packages of foil.

Would it be safe to cook chunky soup right out of the can. Of course I will remove the tops and will not put the can directly on the coals. I will just put it really close to heat through.

Besides that.. i am thinking of grilling up some steaks in foil packs.. and maybe some yams or regular potatoes...

Any great recipes would be much appreciated...

November 07-15-2009 12:19 PM

No idea about the can of chunky, but you could pack the yams in a bunch of butter and brown sugar and just let that cook in the coals. You'd have yourself some candied yams.

brokentelephone 07-15-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsup (Post 6508821)
I am going camping and will not have access to a stove, pots/pans, nor habachi (bbq).... I have no access to coolers.. and am camping overnight.. I have to pack light as well.... (no running water as well).

I will have charcoal and will probably be cooking in packages of foil.

Would it be safe to cook chunky soup right out of the can. Of course I will remove the tops and will not put the can directly on the coals. I will just put it really close to heat through.

Besides that.. i am thinking of grilling up some steaks in foil packs.. and maybe some yams or regular potatoes...

Any great recipes would be much appreciated...

Whenever I make BBQ I'll throw some yams directly on the coals. Obviously, you won't eat the skin but the high heat really caramelizes the yams -- probably one of my favorite ways to do any starch.

Bobby Flay cooks steak right on the coals as well, but he uses a hairdryer to remove the ash from the coals before laying on the meat. I think using a piece of paper to fan the coals would work almost as well!

Alphamale 07-15-2009 01:40 PM

I'd be careful on that chunky soup. You have to get it to boil for at least 15 secs before eating it. Yes I mean BOIL, not fucking simmer or your anus is going to burn.

jimzilla 07-15-2009 04:43 PM

chunky cans melt.....

Hondaracer 07-15-2009 05:07 PM

cooking in the can is fine.

RTS 07-16-2009 12:40 AM

are you driving there?

if so, take 4 bricks and a metal rack. then build this:
_______
[] fire []
[]oooo[]

hamsup 07-16-2009 08:43 AM

RTS.. OMG.. you are still around !!! i am going to send you a PM !!!!!

no.. we are going to kayak for a few hours.. and set up camp... so what we bring and how heavy thigns are is somewhat limited.. lol..

Manic! 07-16-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6509020)
I'd be careful on that chunky soup. You have to get it to boil for at least 15 secs before eating it. Yes I mean BOIL, not fucking simmer or your anus is going to burn.

Are you serious???

bcrdukes 07-16-2009 06:23 PM

^
Alphamale is a victim of such tragedies.

hamsup 07-17-2009 09:37 AM

Hm.. i've had chunky soup in the microwave.. it wasn't boiling... and just warmed it through.. i didn't get sick at all !