REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

another ticket and another drop of fines by the police...

this is starting to get funny. thats the 3rd ticket in a row where I have showed up and had the officer drop the fines and say no evidence. and this is AFTER the officer tried to convince me to plead guilty to a lesser charge and even said he would show my driving record to the JP if I lose and try to reduce my fine. implying JP will not reduce my fine if I decide to dispute and if I do not dispute he will not say anything against me getting a reduction on the ticket.

Lesson of the day boys and girls...if you know you are right don't let them convince you to plead guilty to some nonsense like a reduced fine.
Advertisement

Last edited by ws6ta; 07-18-2009 at 02:06 PM.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

anyone can confirm if cops actually has quota of traffic tickets to issue each month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Was the officer a no-show? I thought they have dedicated court dates to batch up all ticket disputers.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
anyone can confirm if cops actually has quota of traffic tickets to issue each month?

search, there is a thread about it
Dan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

I resent funding the Integrated Road Safety Squad through my tax dollars when I hear of stuff like this.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
No more quota's but in other news a ticket for no seatbelt costs 167$ Howz that for a load of bullshit. Thats more than a speeding ticket AND running a red light ticket.

Berz out.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

On my last court date, an officer dropped a speeding charge because he lost his notes.
The accused had a confused look in his face when the officer said the charge was dropped.
Bath Tussue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Its $167 now? Hm, I need to update my cheater. I gave out 3 at the old price last night.

And I believe that red light tickets are $167 as well.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
^^^ Wish it you that had caught me then lol.

The officer recommended I dispute the fine and ask for a reduction.

Berz out.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Its $167 now? Hm, I need to update my cheater. I gave out 3 at the old price last night.

And I believe that red light tickets are $167 as well.
LOL...what a joke!! you don't even know up-to-date costs of fines

I guess you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #11

A joke that we're not provided with up-to-date information? At times I agree. The laws, case-laws, judgements, fines are always changing and have an effect on the way we deal with things. It is a fluid environment in that regard and is hard to keep on top of each and every change as every day there are countless rulings taking place across the country which can affect even the simplest situation. Do I feel bad that I inadvertently gave a couple young kids a cheaper ticket? No.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
A joke that we're not provided with up-to-date information? At times I agree. The laws, case-laws, judgements, fines are always changing and have an effect on the way we deal with things. It is a fluid environment in that regard and is hard to keep on top of each and every change as every day there are countless rulings taking place across the country which can affect even the simplest situation. Do I feel bad that I inadvertently gave a couple young kids a cheaper ticket? No.
So you admit that you are not doing your job properly. Whether its issuing wrong amounts for tickets or another carless regard for the laws that you are there to uphold, you are not doing your job properly. The law is black and white, you sir are not following it. I wonder what other crap you just didn't care about. Sure there are lots of changes, even more the reason to KEEP ON TOP OF IT. There is no excuse, you get paid to uphold the law, you had better be informed and educated on what you do. When you start to get sloppy, other things will follow. You must have no pride in your job, nor take any interest to do it properly. Way to go Sho BC, you must make the Burnaby police dept proud, nice to see how high your standards are.

You would surely issue a ticket for something a citizen did not know, you cannot please ignorance of the law. Something to think about next time you issue a ticket.

Last edited by stutterr; 07-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #13

Your vision of what police do seems to be terribly skewed. If you knew anything about our job and paid any attention to the threads on here, you'd know that 99% of our job and the law is varying shades of gray.

*edit per your edit*
I don't think the Burnaby RCMP thinks about me much, as I've never once set foot in their detachment, sub-detachments or cars and do not work in Burnaby.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Please. Go cry me a river. You are obviously not giving 100% if you can't even keep up-to-date with the fines you have to issue.

The way I see it, its quite simple. You are out there upholding the law. Thats what you do right?? You can't even keep up-to-date with the fines and/or changes, you shouldn't be issuing tickets period. If you don't know the law, how do you expect an average citizen to know?

You seem to have a skewed vision on what your job is!!

Quote:
*edit per your edit*
I don't think the Burnaby RCMP thinks about me much, as I've never once set foot in their detachment, sub-detachments or cars and do not work in Burnaby.
Regardless I am sure your precinct appreciated your lazyness and overall careless attitutude.

Last edited by stutterr; 07-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #15

Part of my job is educating others as to what the law entails. If they don't know, I explain, inform, educate where I can. Not knowing a fine amount is quite different from not knowing an offence.

I will admit that I am not the be-all-end-all when it comes to federal, provincial and municipal law. I think you would be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who claims that title. Not even your highest paid, top-notch lawyers would claim it after countless years of doing but studying the laws, as they all have focuses and specialties. So, if there is a new fine amount or a new ruling on how things are done, I am happy to be further educated on these things.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Good to know that the cops out there issuing tickets are so hypocrites. I hope next time you pull someone over and find a violation that they did not know about, you give them mercy. You are pleading ignorance of the law, on a simple thing such as a seatbelt ticket.

There is no excuse for this. You don't keep upto date on new fines, yet you expect all of us to know.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #17

Sorry, at what point was I being hypocritical? Admitting that there isn't a single person out there who knows each and every single law? Again, your expectations of police seems to be quite skewed.

I don't expect any member of the general public to know the fine amounts for motor vehicle act violations. Not at all. And if you expect police to know each and every fine amount for each and every violation by heart, I'll say it yet again: Your expectations of police seem to be quite skewed.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
to the OP, props on sticking it to them dude, cops need to stop using their bullshit scare tactics on anyone they pull over, instead they should be using rules of law and follow proper procedure. I got a few disputes I'm working on myself where I plan on working things in court the same way you did cuz I was put in a similar situation as well.

I am pretty sure that it's in their training to always act like they're a 100% right in anything they say or do to the common citizen, and even when they fck up they're not allowed to back off their position. I will never understand this, because I for one will have more respect for a cop who owns up admits a mistake was made.
Because that would show me these are real people out here patrolling the streets with guns and deadly force, and have the ability to think and act like rational beings which would make me and any normal person feel a lot safer than having cops running around acting like this is Communist fckin China acting how they see fit.

and as for seatbelt tickets being almost double than what they used to be, they used to be $90 right ?
I wish they were $500 matter a fact, I got no problem with that, they save lives and I know this from first hand knowledge I won't get into.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Sorry, at what point was I being hypocritical? Admitting that there isn't a single person out there who knows each and every single law? Again, your expectations of police seems to be quite skewed.

I don't expect any member of the general public to know the fine amounts for motor vehicle act violations. Not at all. And if you expect police to know each and every fine amount for each and every violation by heart, I'll say it yet again: Your expectations of police seem to be quite skewed.
Hypocritical because you are pleading ignorance of the law. Where as you ticket people for moving violations, even if they claim that they did not know.
How is that skewed? Its not some vauge or odd law that the OP asked about, its a fairly simple law, which you didn't even know about. Then you blame you little rule book for not being up to date. If you are issuing a wrong fine for a violation, you don't know what you are doing. The fine is part of the violation.

You seem quite skewed on your job description and what you have to do.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When I worked at McDonald's, I didn't know the price of every item on the menu. Darn, I must have been a horrible employee, although, when a customer asked me what was in a burger, I did know the answer to that. Oh well, I'll never ever be able to be a good cop cause I don't think I'll remember the cost of every single fine.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
When I worked at McDonald's, I didn't know the price of every item on the menu. Darn, I must have been a horrible employee, although, when a customer asked me what was in a burger, I did know the answer to that. Oh well, I'll never ever be able to be a good cop cause I don't think I'll remember the cost of every single fine.
Well Wing-Woo, I sure as heck hope you knew when they were giving away free cups of coffee, or when there was an increase in price. If you worked there as a cashier and you were charging me for my free coffee, or you were charing the wrong price, you would be a terrible employee.

Bottom line if a cops wastes my time and issues a wrong ticket price, or he just doesn't know than he shoudln't be in a position of power. To compare a fast food employee to a cop is quite far fetched. The consequences from dealing with some cop who doesn't know what he is doing can result is much greater consequences than a fast food employee who does not know a price of an item.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #22
The "You'd Know" Moderator

I laughed.

The fine is not a part of the MVA so your whole argument is flawed already.

Get this inside your head:
The fine, unlike the allegation, is not part of the law.

Go look at the MVA and tell us what you see in there.

How does it waste a person's time anyway? You were pulled over for the same amount of time even if the cop wrote "a trillion dollars" as the fine. You show up at ICBC Licensing Centre to pay for the ticket and find out that the fine is not the same. Wow I guess a lot of your time is wasted. Don't make it sound like your time is worth more than 8 bucks an hour.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
Well Wing-Woo, I sure as heck hope you knew when they were giving away free cups of coffee, or when there was an increase in price. If you worked there as a cashier and you were charging me for my free coffee, or you were charing the wrong price, you would be a terrible employee.

Bottom line if a cops wastes my time and issues a wrong ticket price, or he just doesn't know than he shoudln't be in a position of power. To compare a fast food employee to a cop is quite far fetched. The consequences from dealing with some cop who doesn't know what he is doing can result is much greater consequences than a fast food employee who does not know a price of an item.
Well, actually, at McDonald's, it's built into the system and if the computer was not updated, then I would be charging you the old prices. Of course, does that make me a bad employee because the manager didn't update the computer with the new prices? You order a hamburger, and I gave you a hamburger. You might have got it for a cheaper price because the computer wasn't updated.

If you got a speeding ticket, and the officer gave you a lower fine cause he was not provided a copy of the updated fines pricing, would you go to court and argue saying that he's a bad cop cause he didn't know that you were supposed to be fined more than you were?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post

You're wasting some of our time... should you be banned?

and what impactX said. the fine is variable.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Wow, stutterr is a bigger idiot than I thought... getting hung up on such trivial crap. Get a life, buddy.