REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

just received my court date for dispute

so about a year ago, i was drinking at a friends place and decided to drive home after (yes i know, stupid.) anyways, i got followed all the way home and as soon as i pulled into my driveway the cops told me to get off my property, and put me in handcuffs.

they said that they were following me and that i was speeding and i didnt stop for them. they breathalyzed me and i blew a FAIL.

they let me go with a 24 hr suspension, and gave me 3 tickets, 1 for speeding, fail to stop for police, and fail to stop at a stop sign.

i disputed everything but the 24 hr suspension because i was guilty of having alcohol in my system, i have learned my lesson and i have never drink and drive again.

since i disputed, icbc already sent me a letter saying the fail to stop at a stop sign was invalid and has been dropped, so now im awaiting the dispute on the speeding ticket and fail to stop for police.

my question is since i blew a fail and only received a 24 hr suspension, does that mean i got criminally charged or does that mean they can go back and criminally charge me if they want? i never received a 3 month suspension on my license or anything. and the fail to stop for police is that a criminal charge?
Advertisement
do_da_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

If you received a violation ticket for failing to stop for police, it is not criminal, just a Motor Vehicle Act violation.

No, you cannot be criminally charged for driving with a BAC over 80 because the investigators failed to follow through with the investigation by making a breath demand and taking you in for further testing.

Yes, it is possible (but unlikely) that you could be charged by indictment and tried on driving while your ability was impaired by alcohol or a drug. The summary conviction option has passed due to the time involved. I seriously doubt that Crown Counsel would approve the charge.

You are very lucky, even if you are convicted of the speeding and failing to stop.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

yes, i am very lucky. Lesson learned, dont drink and drive. havent since. thanks for the help appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The police action could have been worse. If they pulled you over before you got home they would have impounded your car which means $140 or more out of your pocket to the tow truck company to release your car 24 hours later.

Always look on the plus side!
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

so did you really run a stop sign and not pull over? did the kop light the cherries up and attempt to pull you over?

or was that just horse$hit cause the officer was angry?
chatterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #6

my court date is next week, if I lose the dispute would I lose my class 5 license for those 2 tickets?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #7

is the cop also allowed to re-issue more tickets at court? if so how likely is that to happen
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_da_drew View Post
is the cop also allowed to re-issue more tickets at court? if so how likely is that to happen
http://www.revscene.net/forums/offic...k-t589036.html
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #9

how likely is that to happen?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
As likely as the forecast for Vancouver asks for rain.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #11

If I show up and say I want to pay it but to see if they could reduce the amount, you think the possibility of him re-issuing more tickets is high
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
CRS

Quote:
If I show up and say I want to pay it but to see if they could reduce the amount, you think the possibility of him re-issuing more tickets is high
Can't really answer without knowing more about the case.

If you are disputing for a reduction in fine, you better have gone to ICBC with that reason and not for the allegation.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #13

if i disputed the allegation and ask for a reduction at court, is that out of the question then
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
CRS

Quote:
if i disputed the allegation and ask for a reduction at court, is that out of the question then
No, you can still do that.... Sort of....

When the JP calls your name, you can stand up and he/she will ask what do you plead, you can plead guilty and ask for a reduction in fine then...

But this is one of those I will be plead guilty things. OR you can do likewise prior to case starting and going to the cop and tell him the same thing....

This may or may not work considering the circumstances of your situation. Who knows, you may have made the cop angry by even disputing. Why did you even dispute?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
you never did answer if you actually ran the stop sign and failed to stop for police... or were you too drunk to realize you were being follow by the cops? anyways, regardless, when you go to court, and the cop shows up, just plead guitly and ask for a reduction. I have actually heard someone use being drunk as an excuse in court and the JP reduced their driving without due care fine to like $100... so worst come to worse, tell the JP you were drunk and didnt know the police were following you and didnt see the stop sign... if you're lucky, the cop won't show, then you just plead not guilty and go home.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
you never did answer if you actually ran the stop sign and failed to stop for police... or were you too drunk to realize you were being follow by the cops? anyways, regardless, when you go to court, and the cop shows up, just plead guitly and ask for a reduction. I have actually heard someone use being drunk as an excuse in court and the JP reduced their driving without due care fine to like $100... so worst come to worse, tell the JP you were drunk and didnt know the police were following you and didnt see the stop sign... if you're lucky, the cop won't show, then you just plead not guilty and go home.
I could see how the plan A would go horribly wrong and the JP actually raising the fines to the maximum possible.

These are one of those occasions that I wouldn't bother even trying to ask for a reduction. Seriously. It could have gone sooooo much worse.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #17

don't think they can do that since you can't incriminate (sp?) yourself, so admitting you were drunk to the JP should not have a negative effect on your situation

Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
CRS

Quote:
don't think they can do that since you can't incriminate (sp?) yourself, so admitting you were drunk to the JP should not have a negative effect on your situation
Why can't you incriminate yourself?

By saying you were drunk and you should get a reduction because you didn't realize you were breaking the law should get you an even harsher fine.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

wow you badass muddafucka, 3 tickets in one night. nonetheless gl in court.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #20

the reason i disputed was because, i dont know if you're familiar with the street 16th between fraser and main but thats where it happened and the road is so uneven that it would have been impossible to be flying down that street at a high speed. the fail to stop for police i disputed because i was in my driveway when i noticed them with the lights on, they asked me to come off my property and i obeyed their orders.

the reason I dont want to dispute it anymore is because like xplosive said Im a bit worried that the fact i was under the influence is going to make my case a total write off, and i would rather it not get worse. receiving more tickets or something that im not sure would happen. Im just thinking of receiving the worst case scenario thinking the cop would issue me a ticket for reckless driving or driving without due car or something. I would rather just ask for a reduced fine and get it over with.

btw xplosive that fail to stop for stop sign was already dropped. ICBC sent me a letter saying it was invalid.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I could see how the plan A would go horribly wrong and the JP actually raising the fines to the maximum possible.

These are one of those occasions that I wouldn't bother even trying to ask for a reduction. Seriously. It could have gone sooooo much worse.
so you're saying my best bet is to not even bother asking for a reduction, show up, plead guilty and just pay it?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
CRS

Well, normally, when you plead guilty (though it depends on the JP) there is a reduction in fine. But then again, I haven't really ever seen a case like this before so I cannot speak on how it "normally" happens for these circumstances.

I don't know, maybe talking to the officer before hand would help just to clear the air since you're planning on a guilty plea anyways.

If an officer can chime in, that would probably be good? Skid? Zulu?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #23
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
If you are foolish enough to testify in court about something that you did wrong, the judge certainly can take that into account!

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #24

hmm weird... i'm not making this story up, there was an asian girl that went before me in court, looks like a triad's girlfriend, anyways, she was disputing a few tickets, one was driving without due care, another was driving while prohibited... the JP asked her if she pleaded guilty, and shea said yes, he asked her why she was doing what she was doing, and in very broken english she answered, "i had been drinking that night". so the JP asked her if she promised never to drink & drive again, and she said yes, and he reduced both tickets to minimal amount and that was that... i mean those two tickets and pretty serious, and she admitted she was drunk, driving carelessly while prohibited, and JP gave her a break... i mean doesn't get much worse than that

Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Ther has to be a lot more to this story.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote