REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Anyone here drive a Lexus RX400h? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583297-anyone-here-drive-lexus-rx400h.html)

achiam 07-21-2009 06:02 AM

Anyone here drive a Lexus RX400h?

Just wanted to hear if anyone has one, and if they've encountered reliability problems, or anything else they are annoyed/happy about.
Thanks!

thumper 07-21-2009 06:10 AM

i don't own one, but my manager did test drive one. the only thing notable he reported was that the regenerative braking was very annoying :confused:

Leopold Stotch 07-21-2009 10:40 AM

Are you buying used?
i thought 08 was the last year, i think it's the 450h now.

my uncle just got a 09 400h, i haven't driven it , but my family says it's the nicest car they've ever ridden, lol we're poor.

ilvtofu 07-21-2009 10:53 AM

We have some close family friends with one, and they absolutely love it!
Their two dailys are a CSX and an RX400... so they're not particularly exciting ppl though.

orange7 07-21-2009 11:48 AM

I've never been in one, but I expect it to be nice.

Plus it's a hybrid, so it's great for a family suv.

shenmecar 07-21-2009 12:08 PM

new one or the old one?

thumper 07-21-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6516586)
I've never been in one, but I expect it to be nice.

Plus it's a hybrid, so it's great for a family suv.

read up a bit on this... i always see arguments that the operational cost savings of the hybrid lexus dosen't offset it's higher purchase price when compared to an rx350.

orange7 07-21-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 6516704)
read up a bit on this... i always see arguments that the operational cost savings of the hybrid lexus dosen't offset it's higher purchase price when compared to an rx350.

but for the environmenttttttt worrr............. :crybaby:

haha... I personally wouldn't buy a hybrid, but what do I know? I've never driven one nor taken care of one.

boatcaptain 07-21-2009 02:43 PM

i driven one for many days,once u get use to it,is pretty awesome,is sooo quiet and it does save alot of gas compare to his old rx350,the car do have alot of neat feature tat my mini dont have like the back up camera n the hyprid system lol

wasabisashimi 07-21-2009 03:05 PM

someone do a calculation: is it worth the higher cost to save fuel in the long run?

roastpuff 07-21-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6516788)
but for the environmenttttttt worrr............. :crybaby:

haha... I personally wouldn't buy a hybrid, but what do I know? I've never driven one nor taken care of one.

Hybrids consume more resources to make than it will ever save over a comparable gasoline-powered car. All those batteries are filled with non-recyclable and possibly toxic materials that need to be taken care of... plus the battery packs need replacing every few years.

Hybrids are a marketing myth... just like ethanol in gasoline. :mad:

StylinRed 07-21-2009 03:35 PM

my mom has one, but she hardly drives so i can't report any issues for ye

wasabisashimi 07-21-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 6516825)
Hybrids consume more resources to make than it will ever save over a comparable gasoline-powered car. All those batteries are filled with non-recyclable and possibly toxic materials that need to be taken care of... plus the battery packs need replacing every few years.

so why do our governement give GST rebates for hybrid buyers if it is a big scam and harm to environment?
It is stated by toyota: hybrid battery's will last 150,000miles ie. life of the car, and batteries are recyclable.

roastpuff 07-21-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 6516889)
so why do our governement give GST rebates for hybrid buyers if it is a big scam and harm to environment?
It is stated by toyota: hybrid battery's will last 150,000miles ie. life of the car, and batteries are recyclable.

Why does the government do things? In order to please the voting public, of course. Because buying hybrids is considered to be a "green" thing, thus the government tries to encourage it by giving GST rebates, and thus appearing to "do good" in the eyes of many.

True, a hybrid vehicle compared to another comparable gasoline vehicle is more efficient per-kilometer, but you have to see the OVERALL cost of building and owning a hybrid. What these people fail to see is the cost involved in manufacturing the extra locomotive system and the environmental cost in mining and creating the batteries - the lithium and the polymers and the other bits has to come from somewhere. Also, hybrids aren't cost-effective compared to regular gasoline or diesel cars for consumers due to the higher initial cost. It'll take such a long time to pay off the initial cost that it makes more sense to buy a gasoline-powered car. Also, how much of the battery is recyclable? And what is it recycled into?

What I wish would happen is for the government to have European-style diesel, which will allow for more mileage for a cheaper price than hybrids but yet still gives us more than enough power for around-town use.

The Toyota claim of 150,000 miles is under laboratory testing conditions - their warranty is only good until 100,000 miles. This is assuming that the batteries (and the car) doesn't undergo situations that put extra stress on the systems or can damage the system, and that the user follows re-conditioning procedures and maintains the vehicle strictly.

impactY 07-21-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

This is false information. The battery packs ARE recyclable. I've seen the process.

Leopold Stotch 07-22-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

you tell him PA

mmmk 07-22-2009 02:15 AM

my family chose the mdx over the rx400h (gas wasn't really an issue i guess)

tgill 07-22-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

regardless of whether or not the batteries are recyclable, governments do a lot of stupid and shady things. CAP N' TRADE anyone?

achiam 07-22-2009 07:27 PM

Used; so likely the 400h not the 450h

achiam 07-22-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

The stark reality with Hybrids are that they are horrendous on the Earth and leave a far more poisonous footprint that outweighs all carbon benefits saved from lower fuel consumption.

The production of the Lithium cell is disgusting - minerals are torn from the ground in one part of the Earth, shipped to emerging markets such as Bangladesh for refining/processing where the undesirable byproducts are dumped into the land, then sent to 3 other countries where similar steps happen.
I don't recall all the details but there was a lengthy report on the process in the Economist about two months ago or so.

wasabisashimi 07-23-2009 09:26 AM

you know what!, I am going to stick with honda FiT or some euro diesel engines for now. i guess hybrids are a scam.

Quickshifter 07-23-2009 03:10 PM

For some reason i just don't trust hybrids, nor do i like lexus