REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Readiness Monitors for Air Care (https://www.revscene.net/forums/584284-readiness-monitors-air-care.html)

SSM_DC5 07-29-2009 10:25 PM

Readiness Monitors for Air Care

godwin 07-30-2009 01:27 AM

as soon as the CEL is gone.. but define what you mean by ready? ready to do its job optimally or ready so that it passes aircare?

Jay-M 07-30-2009 01:54 AM

The Readiness Monitor is sort of an OBD II self-test system that runs to make sure everything is functioning normally. When a test runs and passes without any faults, the OBD II system runs the next monitor and the next until all have completed. This may take some time because some monitors require specific driving conditions before they will run. Also, if a fault is found during any test, it may prevent subsequent monitors from completing. There are 3-4 types of tests and the duration depends on each vehicle and driving conditions.

SSM_DC5,

You may still pass Air Care even if the Readiness Monitor is not completed... they will just have to run your car on the roller for the first parts (idle and low load tests), so don't worry.

What was the CEL though? This will determine if it is a major fault or not

Good Luck

Lowered_Klass 07-30-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-M (Post 6527852)
SSM_DC5,

You may still pass Air Care even if the Readiness Monitor is not completed... they will just have to run your car on the roller for the first parts (idle and low load tests), so don't worry.

This wasn't the case when I tired to get through. I failed because some of my readiness monitors weren't 'ready', and they never put my car on the rollers. I even pleaded with them to run my car on the rollers, cause i knew it would pass no prob, but no dice. I also had a CEL, and once I cleared the code, it does take a few days of driving, depending on how often you drive.

But I have heard of other people making it through without all of their readiness monitors 'ready', so just give it a few days, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. Another thing you could do, is call Honda or a decent mechanic, and ask how long it takes for the monitors to be ready. Or google?

Good luck! I know AirCare is such a pain in the ass :(

SSM_DC5 07-30-2009 01:05 PM

Bonka 07-30-2009 01:34 PM

I had a similar problem recently with my car triggering an EGR code. I cleared the CEL and drove about 125-150kms before I took it in to aircare. Long story short, I passed but I still had 1 sensor that wasn't set, which was outlined in the results. Aircare allows for 1sensor to remain unset for a pass but 2 or more and you'll fail.

I would log on 2-300kms to be on the safe side before bringing in to test, though as mentioned, each monitor relies or a specific driving pattern. If you can't find out what pattern you'd have to follow, just do a mix of city and highway, easy and heavy throttle.

Jay-M 07-31-2009 03:43 PM

Get a one day insurance and drive the car as Bonka have mentioned above. Also, stop and turn off the car once in a while. A day pass starts at midnight, so you can start early on the day. I mean you are gonna need one anyways in order to drive the car to the AirCare facility.

After the drive, you can take it to a shop or someone (like me) that have a OBD-II Diagnostic tool to check and see if the monitors are already set before you head to AirCare

XxBlAcKwAtErxX 08-01-2009 09:01 PM

it can take 10-15 key cycles for all the monitors to run. a key cycle is starting the engine and driving for a certant amount of time at operating temp then shuting the vehicle down for a certain amount of time as for aircare you are allowed to have one code presant at the time of the test if they detect that a rediness monitor has not run you will fail

SSM_DC5 08-02-2009 10:18 PM

chris_89T 08-08-2009 08:44 PM

For others who are un aware.

Your vehicle has Monitors. These monitors basically run a "test" it involves a certain driving procedure, and what it does is verify that these monitors are actually operating as they should.

You should be able to set all the monitors minus EVAP/Secondary Air flow on a warm start and a freeway drive. There is a driving procedure, but basically if you can maintain 55MPH on the freeway for 15 minutes STRAIGHT while not allowing the RPM to go over 3000RPM or the vehicle speed to exceed 60MPH(96kmh) you should be able to set (o2 sensor, Catalyst, Heated cat, and heated o2).

Cold Start AND IDLE FOR 2 MIN/10SECONDS> Tests EVAP LEAK DETECTION/SECONDARY AIR FLOW
ACCELERATE TO 20-30MPH MAINTAIN FOR APPROX 3MIN/15SECONDS> ESTABLISH CLOSED LOOP/O2 SENSOR RESPONSE TIME
ACCELERATE TO 40-60MPH MAINTAIN FOR 15MIN> CATALYST EFFICIENCY, 02 RESPONSE TIME
DECELERATE AND COME TO STOP IN IDLE FOR 5 MIN> EVAP LEAK DETECTION

THE COMPLETE CYCLE SHOULD ONLY TAKE 11 MILES IF DONE CORRECTLY, THE DRIVING PROCEDURE WILL STOP IF VEHICLE SPEED EXCEEDS 60MPH, 3000RPM OR LARGE VARIATIONS IN THROTTLE ANGLE.

In order to satisfy EVAP/Secondary Air flow, you must have done atleast 1 cold start. A cold start is where the both the intake air temperature and coolant temperature sensors readings are within 5 celcius of eachother.

I just ran my car through and i had some issues earlier. Basically the reason for the readiness monitors is to stop people from clearing there ECU codes while waiting in the line up and running their cars through.

Just remember this. If you are having codes come up, DONT RUN THROUGH AIRCARE. If you havent failed before, you can go to aircare with NO MORE THAN 3 NOT READY monitors, if you have not failed prior to that, they will run your car on the IM240 test, which is the driving test on the rollors. If you have failed aircare previously, you can only have a MAXIMUM of 1 not ready monitor.

If you have any questions PM me. I have learned ALOT about aircare, and its loop holes!

jimmerz 02-05-2014 09:33 AM

bumping really old thread

i assume from above replies about the readiness monitors AFTER you've forcefully cleared a code with like an OBD II reader

what if the CEL has gone off on its own? ie. no manipulation was done on the computer whatsoever to get rid of the code

would the readiness monitors go into not ready mode because there was a recent CEL?
or is the readiness monitor independent from the code throwing algorithm?

reason i ask is the CEL has recently gone off (lean at idle), and it does come back up intermittently

wondering if i should use this window to bolt into an air care facility to do the test while it is off

godwin 02-08-2014 09:05 PM

It is easier to figure out the code first.. eg EVAP etc can go off on its own. You can have 2 readiness monitor not set before 01 and 1 after 01.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmerz (Post 8411684)
bumping really old thread

i assume from above replies about the readiness monitors AFTER you've forcefully cleared a code with like an OBD II reader

what if the CEL has gone off on its own? ie. no manipulation was done on the computer whatsoever to get rid of the code

would the readiness monitors go into not ready mode because there was a recent CEL?
or is the readiness monitor independent from the code throwing algorithm?

reason i ask is the CEL has recently gone off (lean at idle), and it does come back up intermittently

wondering if i should use this window to bolt into an air care facility to do the test while it is off