REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Where to get Transmission syncros etc done? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/585356-where-get-transmission-syncros-etc-done.html)

ilvtofu 08-10-2009 11:07 AM

Where to get Transmission syncros etc done?

Hey everyone my 3rd gear syncro grinds when it's shifted in aggressively
Wondering whats a good place to get this fixed.
It's not a big deal though, and the car drives fine everyday
Would it be wise to maybe replace the clutch/flywheel and everything at once since the transmission will be dropped?
If so, can i go out and buy some exedy stuff for my car and ask them to install it? :haha:

alwaysideways 08-10-2009 05:15 PM

Mr. Transmission?

godwin 08-10-2009 11:30 PM

It really depends what you want to do.. Since your car is pretty old, there should be a good supply of used transmissions out there.. get a used one, refurb it (ie add/strengthen the internals) and swap it. Since you don't know the history of your current tranny anyways, you mind as well start from scratch. One can conceivably do it on one's workbench since the tolerance of transmission at that vintage is not very high.

Or if you just want it fixed at a shop, use any of the shop that is sponsoring RS?

ilvtofu 08-11-2009 08:00 AM

lol i'm a 16 year old high school student, i don't have the tools, experience, or space to do a tranny swap...

Hmm I'll probably try looking for a used one, cos a lot of models use the same tranny, ie. frontier, some S13s, and some others, And the turbo tranny is better and swaps in perfectly according to some Z31 pages

godwin 08-11-2009 12:20 PM

I thought all high schools have automotive shops?

The point is old transmissions are very easy to work on.. you just need a arbor press..

The trick is to have the will to look up things, research and learn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6542167)
lol i'm a 16 year old high school student, i don't have the tools, experience, or space to do a tranny swap...

Hmm I'll probably try looking for a used one, cos a lot of models use the same tranny, ie. frontier, some S13s, and some others, And the turbo tranny is better and swaps in perfectly according to some Z31 pages

Hyper_night 08-11-2009 01:34 PM

saves you more time and possibly some money if you were to get a decent used tranny. swap it in within a day, so that way u dont have to bus to school!
takes a transmission shop a few days in order for you to get your transmission back.

but i also suggest changing your gear oil first, see if that helps!

ilvtofu 08-11-2009 02:56 PM

Theres really nothing wrong except the 3rd gear syncro, lol my school doesn't have an automotive course :(

I drive the car everyday, but i'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to swap in a stronger tranny, ie. a z31 turbo tranny

godwin 08-11-2009 11:56 PM

A stronger speced transmission might be stouter, but you want to do some research and calculations to see whether a up model transmission's have different ratios.. you have to calculate whether it will adversely affect the performance.

Basically you might need to upgrade the transmission and differential.. you would want to plug the ratios in a spreadsheet and consider whether the outcome is what you want.

If you are starting out, you can always take VSB's courses

http://www.continuinged.ca/courseinf...LL09&group=527

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6542696)
Theres really nothing wrong except the 3rd gear syncro, lol my school doesn't have an automotive course :(

I drive the car everyday, but i'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to swap in a stronger tranny, ie. a z31 turbo tranny