REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   International license (from other countries) and ICBC tests (https://www.revscene.net/forums/585713-international-license-other-countries-icbc-tests.html)

Ahyc84 08-13-2009 04:54 AM

International license (from other countries) and ICBC tests

Perhaps this isn't so much to do with the MVA, but it's about driving regulation i guess...

I've been hearing this weird thing about ICBC taking away your international driving license from other countries after you pass\fail your KNOWLEDGE test. Is this true? Yes i do mean International Driving License, not international driving permit (which is just a translation of your foreign license).

Is this something new? or is it just bogus? I understand it if you fail the road test and shouldn't be driving in BC anymore.

could someone shine some light on this? tried looking it up on icbc's site and google, no luck

TypeRNammer 08-13-2009 05:10 AM

I have a friend with a full Korean drivers license.

He had to dispute a few tickets, judge told him to exchange his international license for a full class 5 license.

zulutango 08-13-2009 06:30 AM

If you get a BC DL, you must turn in any non-BC D.L.s as it is against the MV Act to hold more than 1 valid DL. There is no such thing as an International DL...there is the translation of your local DL.

Your friend needed to get a BC DL when he became "ordnarily resident" in BC...his Korean DL would not be valid beyond the time period permitted to get his BC DL. Once you live here, unless you have a valid student expemption and are granted that exemption by the MV Branch, you must have a BCDL.

click this link..
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...riables._frag_

Ahyc84 08-13-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 6545100)
I have a friend with a full Korean drivers license.

He had to dispute a few tickets, judge told him to exchange his international license for a full class 5 license.

there's a few countries that allows straight trade in of license, korea is one of them.

and yes, it's a student exemption. She's already got in a minor parking lot accident before and her license is valid...lol...

my question is about whether they take the license away after the knowledge test, not the road test. I do know they'll take it away if u fail.

CA_FTW 08-13-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6545131)
There is no such thing as an International DL..

what about the Passport like thing that BCAA calls a International License, i get one every year, for driving in third world country's.. I dont even bring my BC DL with me..

Seems to work fine internationally.. :D

zulutango 08-13-2009 11:32 AM

Here in BC you are required to have your "home" DL along with the translation into different languages that BCAA calls an international DL. In BC if you have a valid out of province DL and do not produce it, you will get a VT for no DL....NOT for failing to produce a DL. Not sure what happens in other provinces/countries.

In the case above I wonder why the Judge ordered your friend to get a BC DL? Must have been because they are not exempt because of a student exemption that expired or is not valid and that means they are considered a BC resident now...or they are beyond the 90 days for newcomers to get a BC DL as they are BC residents.

wing_woo 08-13-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahyc84 (Post 6545360)
there's a few countries that allows straight trade in of license, korea is one of them.

and yes, it's a student exemption. She's already got in a minor parking lot accident before and her license is valid...lol...

my question is about whether they take the license away after the knowledge test, not the road test. I do know they'll take it away if u fail.

You have to surrender your "non BC" DL when you apply for your BC one. If you take the written test, you get the L and the learner's license. Don't know if it's because my friend had enough driving experience, but he was allowed to go straight to taking the Class 5 license exam without having to go through the graduated licensing program after getting his L.

Ahyc84 08-13-2009 03:23 PM

as long as you've had your drivers license in another country for more then 2 years, you're allowed to skip the GLP and go straight to class 5.

Energy 08-13-2009 08:50 PM

I had a full license from another country for one month and when I went to take my test I just traded it for an N right away.

Basically, I skipped 11 months of the L stage. Now if I had that license for 2 years then I could have gone straight to class 5, after passing the test of course.

focus 08-14-2009 01:27 AM

I wonder if you would have to take a test if you came from countries that have a more rigourous driving tests, and superior driving rules like most Western European countries: particularly Germany.

I say this because my dad has been driving in Germany for a year and half and he finds the driving here archaic and rather nomadic.
Its funny watching him get mildly frustrated on driving behaviours that I have become so complacent with.:p