REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   caliper covers? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586099-caliper-covers.html)

drunkrussian 08-16-2009 09:11 PM

caliper covers?

what are these?

been thinking about making my caliipers red so that they sorta stand out from under the rim...saw on ebay that you can buy caliper covers? How do these work? I can get a red look without having to paint the calipers themselves?

or should i paint? if so, what do i need to know?

anyone painted calipers or got covers that can provide some info?

sonick 08-16-2009 09:42 PM

lol

ilvtofu 08-17-2009 12:22 AM

lol

just paint them, its easy mask whatever with some tape and newspaper and get some paint from crappy tire

drunkrussian 08-17-2009 09:15 AM

according to sonick, covers are ricer, whereas painting is not ricer. Therefore i guess i must go with painting, even though i'm lazy as shit lol...the lengths i'll take to not be ricer...

i'm thinking i'll paint without taking the calipers off with a paintbrush, since that's the easiest way it seems like lol

crappy tire sells caliper paint??

chris_89T 08-17-2009 02:01 PM

Painting calipers can be ricey.

The general rule of thumb, of course this is in my opinon:

Unless your car came from the factory with AP Racing, Brebmo, Stop Tech, Stillen, Wilwood, or any other high end caliper your calipers should NOT be painted red, yellow or any other color that will stand out.

Its just ricey when you stock calipers painted bright red or yellow, with 11" rotors behind a 20" wheel.

Oh and those covers, are about the biggest rice item ive EVER seen for sale.

jing 08-17-2009 02:42 PM

^ What if your car has an OE BBK from another chassis?

eg. R32/Z32 brakes on an S-chassis

chris_89T 08-17-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jing (Post 6551203)
^ What if your car has an OE BBK from another chassis?

eg. R32/Z32 brakes on an S-chassis

Thats acceptable. Honestly, you can tell the true car enthusiests are the ones who upgrade the brakes. Any BBK would suffice, its just people who paint there stock single piston calipers bright red bothers me. Like why draw attention to that? I realized that on m M5, hence the reason why i painted them black!

drunkrussian 08-17-2009 05:17 PM

haha personally yes i think it's ricer as shit, ur right

but i'm not doing it to draw attention or pretend i have an upgraded brake kit. I simply like the look of a red car with white rims with red brake calipsers behind them. I think i'll go with painting, as this may last longer than the covers haha...plus i don't really want any writing or anything on the calipers, just the colour red

sonick 08-17-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_89T (Post 6551120)
Painting calipers can be ricey.

The general rule of thumb, of course this is in my opinon:

Unless your car came from the factory with AP Racing, Brebmo, Stop Tech, Stillen, Wilwood, or any other high end caliper your calipers should NOT be painted red, yellow or any other color that will stand out.

Its just ricey when you stock calipers painted bright red or yellow, with 11" rotors behind a 20" wheel.

Oh and those covers, are about the biggest rice item ive EVER seen for sale.

+1. Worst is when you see people paint not only their front discs, but also their REAR DRUMS! :haha: ridiculous.

chris_89T 08-17-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 6551465)
haha personally yes i think it's ricer as shit, ur right

but i'm not doing it to draw attention or pretend i have an upgraded brake kit. I simply like the look of a red car with white rims with red brake calipsers behind them. I think i'll go with painting, as this may last longer than the covers haha...plus i don't really want any writing or anything on the calipers, just the colour red

Ahh yah thats fine. I had envisioned painting my calipers red. I have a white M5 with Time attacks, so black rims with the red ring, i thought it might not look bad, but then im going against everything i said prior. So black with the ///M emblem painted hell rot red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6551529)
+1. Worst is when you see people paint not only their front discs, but also their REAR DRUMS! :haha: ridiculous.

Oh man, thats so true there was this black civic with chrome wheels, yellow calipers and yellow drums. I honestly have never wanted to smack someone so bad in my life, like to each his own, but seriously, what inspires someone to paint drums yellow. To top it off, he painted over the rust, so it had started chipping away already LOL.