REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   change brake pads after machining rotors? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586247-change-brake-pads-after-machining-rotors.html)

thumper 08-18-2009 08:31 AM

change brake pads after machining rotors?

i've warped my brake rotors (long story, i did something stupid). mechanic wants to sell me brand new brake pads as well (70% life remaining).

why do i need new pads? is he trying to get moer $$$ out of me, or am i missing something obvious? :confused:

Alphamale 08-18-2009 10:53 AM

For the system to work best, you should replace both at the same time. Replacing/resurfacing only one of those parts may result in a persistent problem and the mechanic charging 2x the labour for extra re/re time. He's trying to cover his ass and yours.

thumper 08-18-2009 11:38 AM

not even sanding down the pad surfaces will make any difference?

i know i sound so cheap, but i paid so much for those pads... damn :(

sonick 08-18-2009 02:08 PM

It wouldn't hurt to use your old pads, but it may end up f'n up the rotors again later. It may NOT depending on how much improper wear it sustained from your warped rotors, but there is a possibility.

thumper 08-18-2009 02:14 PM

what kind of wear am i looking for in the pads? again, i had thought sanding them down would fix anything (aside from stuff like cracking, etc.)

godwin 08-18-2009 03:30 PM

sandpaper will glaze and screw up the surface. You probably need a lathe to even attempt to do it properly.

Brake pads shouldn't cost more than $100 for any VW OE application.. if you do, you are paying way too much.

thumper 08-18-2009 07:40 PM

actually it's for a porsche cayenne s (said it was mine just to simplify things).... long story :(

i thought we were talking about sanding the pads.... i can do this with a lathe? :confused:

i asked this before awhile back, but i'll try it one more time: can 2-piece cross drilled non-floating brake rotors be machined? someone told me that the aluminum hat would flex in the brake lathe and turn the ring surfaces into the equivalent of a cheese grater?

godwin 08-18-2009 07:45 PM

you can machine 2 piece rotors.. but only on lathe with the proper adapter (the problem is finding it.. I suppose you can get it at MCL but the service will probably cost more than new).. most places don't machine cross drill pieces because they don't want to damage their bits.

I looked it up for 06 Porsche Cayenne S, NPN pads are only 80 bucks a set.. and Zimmerman discs are about $135each.. they are not exorbitant at all for a 3 ton truck!:confused:

shenmecar 08-20-2009 12:00 PM

^

cross drilled rotors are more time consuming to machine as well arent they?

They need to do every single hole separately.

thumper 08-20-2009 12:58 PM

ugh where did you get those prices.... $130 for the pads (oem?) and something like $210 for each rotor (zimmerman) on my side :cry:

godwin 08-20-2009 11:03 PM

How do you do each hole separately?:confused: eer the lathe cuts face wise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6556307)
^

cross drilled rotors are more time consuming to machine as well arent they?

They need to do every single hole separately.

godwin 08-20-2009 11:06 PM

Autopartsway.. If you order a rotor first, you should also get 5% off for the balance of the order.. on top of free ship.

Again it is not that expensive or hard.. If the price is what your mechanic quote you, he probably includes part of the labour.. not many shop these days allow you to bring your own parts anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 6556370)
ugh where did you get those prices.... $130 for the pads (oem?) and something like $210 for each rotor (zimmerman) on my side :cry:

thumper 08-21-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 6557250)
Autopartsway.. If you order a rotor first, you should also get 5% off for the balance of the order.. on top of free ship.

Again it is not that expensive or hard.. If the price is what your mechanic quote you, he probably includes part of the labour.. not many shop these days allow you to bring your own parts anymore.

you are correct... he didn't want me bringing in my own parts because he said he's wasted enough time with people bringing used stuff in that's crap or he finds out that the parts are wrong and then the customer complains about the labor cost to put everything back together :rolleyes:

the prices quoted were not including labor :(

godwin 08-21-2009 01:07 PM

The price difference in parts are their profit margins.. you don't want them to work for free now do you?

If you want cheap, DIY. Simple as that.