REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   What rights do we have to protect our property? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586397-what-rights-do-we-have-protect-our-property.html)

MWR34 08-19-2009 04:36 PM

What rights do we have to protect our property?

So what rights exactly do us Canadians have to protect ourselves/cars/homes?

Someone breaks into our home while we are asleep... can you try to stop them with a golf club? then hog tie them to your shower with hot water while you wait for the police to arrive?

you wake up to someone attempting to break into your car, can you sneak up on them with a bat, zap strap them upsidedown to the stop sign and hang insulting billboard signs off their body?

What is our law, to protect ourselves/property and allowing a form a restraint until proper law enforcement arrives? Hypothetically speaking....

do they give up their rights of prosecuting you for assault or worse, since they were involved in a crime that caused it?

fukkeneh240 08-19-2009 05:13 PM

the threshold is/would be reasonable force from an objective stance.

now go wild and interpret that. this is why we have lawyers.

but to simply put it, you can be charged if you are found to have used "excessive" force.

124Y 08-19-2009 11:21 PM

I'll be waiting for the answer as well, since some fucker broke into my car yesterday. I want to find out for future references. :D

Five-Oh 08-19-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 (Post 6555140)

but to simply put it, you can be charged if you are found to have used "excessive" force.

That is the answer because it is totally situational and dynamic.

Sid Vicious 08-20-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 (Post 6555140)

in other words, shoot to maim....?

SkinnyPupp 08-20-2009 04:33 PM

Swing for the knees, not the head.

chris_89T 08-20-2009 06:31 PM

Yeah, i would do as much damage without breaking anything. The way i figure it, you break his arm, he will turn around and try sue you for excessive force. I dont even know if that can happen, but i remember one time, this junked out crack head who rented the basement of this house 2 down from me, they tried to evict him and the guy punched this old guy in the face and when the dad came to knock him out he kept yelling "go ahead hit me and ill sue you for everything your worth" In the end the guy ended up getting thrown through two fences and doenst live there anymore. A car full of people mid 20's showed up, tossed the guy around like a rag doll then sped off.

I thought it was funny. It would be cool to know. Living in surrey, B&E is something i think of all the time. Mostly i worry about my wheels getting stolen LOL. I would like to know if i saw somoene jacking my wheels, could i beat them to the ground then leave or do i have to alert the authorities?

impactX 08-20-2009 08:31 PM

Search for Citizen's Power of Arrest for details. You are required to turn the custody of the subject over to the authority forthwith.

fukkeneh240 08-20-2009 08:41 PM

this is just one story. not posting to bash police, but to show that you can be charged for excessive force.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...f-alberta.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...hot-theif.html

124Y 08-20-2009 09:19 PM

To be reasonable, I would say the majority of us will beat the shit outta a thief we caught stealing our shit, but we will definitely do it excessively. However, I think if the law doesn't protect the thieves as much, the thieves will think twice about committing a crime for the sake of their own lives; hence, crime rate will probably drop.

silk 08-21-2009 07:37 AM

stay down low.. let him take everything..and then cry on RS is the best solution

gars 08-21-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 124Y (Post 6557041)
To be reasonable, I would say the majority of us will beat the shit outta a thief we caught stealing our shit, but we will definitely do it excessively. However, I think if the law doesn't protect the thieves as much, the thieves will think twice about committing a crime for the sake of their own lives; hence, crime rate will probably drop.

i don't think that the laws in canada protect theives imo... and if somebody stole my stuff, obviously, me being angry, would want them behind bars for as long as possible. but there are many studies to show that having harsher sentences don't always mean lower crime. there are so many variables with crime rates, education levels, poverty... etc. just look at the states, they have much harsher sentences, but in many areas, their crime rates are much higher.