REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Buying Used Car - Pre-Purchase Inspection (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586500-buying-used-car-pre-purchase-inspection.html)

hidden-image 08-20-2009 03:43 PM

Buying Used Car - Pre-Purchase Inspection

Hey, I'm new here on the forum, and I could use your advice

I'm flying up to Kelowna to check out a Bimmer convertible. The seller and I have already agreed to a price based on a satisfactory test drive and possible pre-purchase inspection, with a signed document.

The seller has been up front about everything, and mentioned that a prospective buyer last weekend had a PPI done on the car, and found the following problems:

IMMEDIATE REPAIR: right rear wheel bearing
NEAR FUTURE REPAIR: front shocks are leaking, ball joints will need to be replaced, wipers need new blades

My question is: Upon being satisfied with the test drive, should I get another pre-purchase inspection, even though one was previously done a week prior? Do you think it would be worth the extra $100-150?

Thanks!

hidden-image 08-20-2009 03:45 PM

On another note, any recommendations on shock/spring replacements? I'll be doing mostly highway driving, and I'd like to improve the handling, without having to slow to 2kmph to go over a speed bump. Model is a '98 BMW 328i

zulutango 08-20-2009 03:49 PM

Do you trust the inspection done by some guy who didn't end up buying it... ? If it was MY money, NO. Spend the $ to get a full inspection and at very least they may give you a deal on that wheel bearing that needs immediate replacement.

hidden-image 08-20-2009 03:58 PM

Thanks for your response.

The seller is fixing the wheel bearing. Our agreed upon price was based on the repair of the wheel bearing so that I could test drive it.

Anyone from Kelowna, have a recommended shop that I could get the PPI done at? And if you know the price, that's even better!

godwin 08-20-2009 05:22 PM

Kelowna has a BMW dealership. Go to BCBimmers.com there are plenty of people from the interior that might be able to recommend a non dealership place.

If you want to change ride, the shock leaks / ball joints will need to be changed anyways.. order it from Turner Motorsports etc..

Wheel bearings are easy on e36s... however the bearing part is about 250 already.

vo_hantu 08-21-2009 07:23 AM

Get it checked out by yourself at the BMW dealership or certified shop. This isn't a cheap investment, so an extra $200 that could possibly save you a massive headache is worth it.

Pay for the background, icbc check. Is it US imported? How many KM? Next major service? How much will that cost.

I did the same thing as you when I bought a car from kelowna. It probably cost me around $250 for background, icbc check, compression check at the dealership..etc...etc. I did everything I could and I was satisfied with the results.

edit: that's an 11-year car so buyer beware...
editx2: I assume you are from vancouver area so if everything looks good and you are satisfied, try to negotiate your airfare to kelowna so you can drive it down...instead of getting a buddy to tag?

Good luck!
Remember this is a huge investment on your behalf.