REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Lets Talk VW GOLF (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586951-lets-talk-vw-golf.html)

fa48 08-24-2009 10:44 PM

Lets Talk VW GOLF

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get some feedback from revsceners on my next car purchase, I am looking to buy a used VW Golf manual from 2000 - 2006 model year or same year Honda Civic 2dr manual .

I am going to be putting on high km on whichever car I buy, so my main concern are the following points:

1. Gas efficiency
2. Maintenance
3. reliability
4. Replacement part costs

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions from perhaps other VW golf owners. Or other feedback on this car or any other car recomendations.

Thanks in advance guys!

DasHooch 08-24-2009 10:58 PM

In the middle of replacing the ABS controller on a 2001 Golf 2.0 ... not impressed that it crapped out.

I've heard a few complaints from others maintenance wise, but I think this is the first 'major' issue we've had with it. Bought it used around 2004? Wife doesn't put that much mileage on it.

However, when she borrowed my mom's 2001 Civic (base coupe) she did not like it. She prefers the interior and ride quality of the Golf. So much so I put back the hydraulic unit without controller so she could drive her own car. I suggest you take each for a drive and compare.

skyxx 08-24-2009 11:10 PM

hmm, So you want a Fourth generation golf? and Maybe a fifth generation golf?

I currently drive a MkIV gti/golf. So far it's a decent car.

Gas efficiency:
I'm not sure about golf/jetta users but I run a GTI so I get pretty decent mileage. around 460km (But that's because I think I need to get a tune up and fix my diverter valve). But since you're buying a GOLF the fuel efficiency should be better than my GTI. Overall it's a pretty fuel efficient vehicle. Especially if you buy the Diesel variant.

Maintenance:
If you do your periodic oil changes here and there it should be pretty decent. Not much of a problem in terms of things going wrong. Haven't had much issues. Most Golfs run Synthetic engine oils so it could be a tad bit more expensive.

Realibity:
Reliability is not bad, but there's a few things here and there from time to time. The realibility on them have been getting better and better every year compared to the cars back in the early 90's. The interior quality is pretty good for the MKIVs. Although there could be some rubber peeling off on the interior door handles. The glove box door/handles are fragile, they can break easily if you yank it lightly. The airbag light might go on but that's usually the driver side seatbelt messing up. That's easily fixable, but that's a maybe though. Other than that there aren't any major problems.

Replacement parts Cost:
Replacement parts are a bit more expensive than the usual but that's common from a european/import vehicle.

Side note:
Performance wise it's pretty good, I've driven the 2.0 Litre models(GOLF GL/GLS) and the Diesel. Both models are decent on acceleration in it's class. It's very roomy for a car it's size. I'm 5'10 and I can fit perfectly fine in the back seats of the 2 door and the 4 door variant(should be way roomier). The trunk space is not bad too. I can fit two large suitcases and one small suitcase perfectly fine.

That's all for now, I'll add some more stuff If I can think of it. If you want more answers I'd advise you head on over to www.vwvortex.com for more information. There are DIY guides, purchasing guides, EVERYTHING about Volkswagens.

J____ 08-24-2009 11:18 PM

japanese always > german car in reliability and maintenance cost in the long run. power, looks, handling, are another thing.

fliptuner 08-25-2009 12:02 AM

-autos are weak
-for some reason lights like to burn out more than normal
-find someone with the VAG-Com (there's a local list on dubberz.com)

-handling is great
-feels very solid
-great interior

godwin 08-25-2009 12:43 AM

If you want the best mileage.. get the TDI and there is no competition at this price range, not to mention it will out run most civics etc from red light due to the amount of torque available.

Get the latest TDI you can get.

Go ask on vwortex, dubberz, tdiforum etc.. and try to see if there are any people reselling theirs.. since 2010 Mk6 TDI is coming soon.

thumper 08-25-2009 06:28 AM

i'd rather you look for something else.

(and yes i drive a volkswagen)

vo_hantu 08-25-2009 06:56 AM

My friend owns a brand new golf GTi. One month after purchase (driving conservatively during break-in period) he experienced engine problems. Three months after purchase he had electronic problems.

I guess it's hit or miss? Nice to have factory warranty for these things. Nice cars though.

too_slow 08-25-2009 07:09 AM

TDi's are expensive, and most of them are fairly high milleage.
2.0 has plenty of torque, but they do burn oil (you need to top up oil every 3-4 fill-ups).

What is your budget? A low milleage 2.0 still sells for at least $7,500. If you can pony up an extra $2,000, you can get a 03+ GTI with the 1.8T engine. (Reason why I note 03+ is because they fixed all the hic-cups on the 1.8T engine).

hk20000 08-25-2009 07:25 AM

a MKIV TDI is not commonrail like the MKV is it? That TDI sounds like a little diesel truck.

fa48 08-25-2009 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I thanked everyone but for some reason it doesn't show on some posts.

JSALES 08-25-2009 03:00 PM

why not get a GTI VR6? haha

i know with the GTI VR6 i had

it was pretty heavy on gas just cause it was a VR6. parts were pretty expensive if something broke and at one point the car wouldn't start. overall, it was a pretty fun car to drive and could smoke honda civics off the line haha.

Great68 08-25-2009 03:10 PM

My buddy bought a brand new 06 TDi. While he has had some annoying problems including a bunch of electrical problems, mechanically the car has been bulletproof.

ilvtofu 08-25-2009 03:22 PM

Buy a used matrix?

skyxx 08-25-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6563001)
why not get a GTI VR6? haha

i know with the GTI VR6 i had

it was pretty heavy on gas just cause it was a VR6. parts were pretty expensive if something broke and at one point the car wouldn't start. overall, it was a pretty fun car to drive and could smoke honda civics off the line haha.

1.8T>VR6 :D

seakrait 08-25-2009 06:23 PM

^^^ :werd:

my 2001 GTI 337 (1.8T) has been relatively problem-free. power is great. especially with a chip. mileage is good. interior is awesome. once you sit in something like it, sitting in a contemporary car of another make just feels cheap.

end of story: i like my GTI enough to want to get another VW.