REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Flight to Sydney Australia (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586974-flight-sydney-australia.html)

saucywoman 08-25-2009 07:25 AM

Flight to Sydney Australia

I need some suggestions to get a good low priced flight to Australia. I'm going to be booking the flight for my mom and step dad tomorrow and hoping someone can help me find something I'm not aware of. Background info: they live here in kamloops but are willing to fly out of Seattle and they need a one way ticket leaving Mon Oct 5 or Tues Oct 6 at the latest... Anyhow I've been browsing different airlines and this is what I've come up with:

AIRCANADA.Kamloops-Sydney. Leave Oct 5 arrive Oct 7 total = $2786.64
UNITED AIR. Seattle-Sydney. Lv Oct 5 arrive Oct 7 total = $3488
NWA Seattle to Sydney. Lv Oct 5 Arrive Oct 7 total = $5020.94
DELTA Seattle to Sydney Lv Oct 5 arrive Oct 7 total = $4658.

so even though Kamloops isn't a big hub and they'd be flying Vancouver for a stopover it is much cheaper to fly from here than to go down into the US and fly out of there; what is the reasoning behind this???
thanks for all suggestions :) I will continue researching myself and will be booking the flight tomorrow afternoon.

vancitylove 08-25-2009 09:55 PM

try kayak.com

it's a meta search for lots of different airlines.
try searching for a round trip even though you're flying one way. oddly enough it's sometimes cheaper.

saucywoman 08-26-2009 10:25 AM

they don't want round trip cause they're not sure what their plans will be. The reason they're going over there is because my mom was asked to play catcher for the Australian's World Master's baseball team. Since they're spending all that money to go over there they figure they will stay abuot a month or two and travel around. The pay also pop over to the Phillipines to visit my stepdads brother. They don't want to be confined to coming back on a certain day so that's why it's a one way ticket. Thanks for the help tho :)

syee 08-26-2009 01:28 PM

Maybe look into the change fees for the airfare and factor it into the price? Just book something far into the future (i.e. if they are planning a 2 month trip, then book the return 4 months later) and then change the return date when they're done with their touring. Depending on the airline, the change fee should be around $100.

I'd suspect that would be much cheaper than a one way ticket. Only downside is that they'd have to return back to Sydney to go home (rather than say via the Philippines)

saucywoman 08-26-2009 06:14 PM

yeah we ended up booking a return ticket for the two of them and it came out to $4000. I called my travel agent and she said it would be better to book a round trip and pay the change fees than to do one way because customs may not even let them in thinking they might never leave.

tia :)

misteranswer 08-26-2009 07:57 PM

They also have opened ended return tickets.

saucywoman 08-27-2009 11:02 AM

^^I couldn't find those

syee 08-27-2009 11:13 AM

Did you try Qantas (airline)? They are pretty good (much better than the American airlines out there) and being Australia's national airline, any Australian city would be their hub so fares would be a bit cheaper.

IfUCare 08-27-2009 11:25 AM

seems expensive, i just came back from australia. We flew with united from seatec aiport.
it was 1055 usd a person.