REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Places to eat in London (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587571-places-eat-london.html)

freesole 08-29-2009 10:23 PM

Places to eat in London

So, I'm going to London in few months and would like to hear your opinions on where you would recommend to eat. I don't mind spending a little bit more unless it's crazy expensive (ie. over $150 per person before wine and beer, etc).

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of going to visit one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants as well as Jamie Oliver's. But I know at least with Gordon Ramsey's restaurants that he has a ton of them and I don't even know which one to start with.

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-30-2009 01:08 AM

are u talking about "nice" places to eat, or just "i need to eat, where can i eat that doesnt suck shit and cost a fuck load?"

my experience is, china town was the best bang for your buck and quality wise.

everywhere else sucks, unless you're going to a highend place, then be prepared to shell out big bucks.

fuck, be prepared to shell out big bucks even for a "normal" meal haha

gars 08-30-2009 02:13 AM

what sorta food do you like? it is really expensive here... there are a few places that have 2 for 1's coupons that you can look out for but they're usually restricted to certain days and whatnot.

unless you want to head to southall for some indian food!! cheap ass food for good prices....

freesole 08-30-2009 07:59 AM

We like a bit of everything, just any specific places that you would really recommend that would be great. I'm not going to the cheapest food I can find, if I travel somewhere I figure I might as well enjoy the food for what it is there. I really did want to try out Jamie Oliver's and Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, have either of you two been? Which one would you recommend?

rouentahl 08-30-2009 09:23 PM

For cheap, decent tasting and central locations, I would recommend Bistro 1:

http://www.bistro1.co.uk/

Where else can you get three course for £7.90? :)

J____ 08-30-2009 09:44 PM

when r u going? i'll be in the UK for 2 months starting sept 14th. any RS'ers there wanna meet up ? :D i too need to find reasonably priced food outtings, i get 40 GBP per day for food before biting into my own money haha

J____ 08-30-2009 09:49 PM

nice rouenthal! i'll be checking out that place!

gars 08-31-2009 01:00 PM

to be honest, i've been to quite a few restaurants... but coming from vancouver prices and whatnot, i haven't been to one where i've liked and actually thought there was great value in going. HOWEVER, that being said, there are always some decent deals around.

check out Toptable, they post up some good deals, 2 for 1's, for some pretty posh restaurants in London. you can even book online, to make sure you have tables, which is handy.

as a general rule, stay away from Leicester Square, there are a few half decent restaurants there, but mostly are tourist traps. Brick Lane is touristy Indian/Bengali food, i think tons of tourist books recommend it, stay away. Covent Gardens is still pretty touristy, but there are a few gems. If you like Mussels, check out Belgos, i had a decent meal there, and they have a good selection of belgian beer.

My friends have been to the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Kingston, and i think they had a pretty good time. not sure about his other branches. Sorry, I haven't been myself, or I would give you a review of the place.

freesole 09-01-2009 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 6571669)
to be honest, i've been to quite a few restaurants... but coming from vancouver prices and whatnot, i haven't been to one where i've liked and actually thought there was great value in going. HOWEVER, that being said, there are always some decent deals around.

check out Toptable, they post up some good deals, 2 for 1's, for some pretty posh restaurants in London. you can even book online, to make sure you have tables, which is handy.

as a general rule, stay away from Leicester Square, there are a few half decent restaurants there, but mostly are tourist traps. Brick Lane is touristy Indian/Bengali food, i think tons of tourist books recommend it, stay away. Covent Gardens is still pretty touristy, but there are a few gems. If you like Mussels, check out Belgos, i had a decent meal there, and they have a good selection of belgian beer.

My friends have been to the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Kingston, and i think they had a pretty good time. not sure about his other branches. Sorry, I haven't been myself, or I would give you a review of the place.

No worries, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to stay away from the Leicester Square then. I love my food but I am not too looking forward to paying $200+ a meal that I don't enjoy :)

I hear the Indian food there is a blast though, I think I might try one of those places out.

achiam 10-17-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 6569957)
are u talking about "nice" places to eat, or just "i need to eat, where can i eat that doesnt suck shit and cost a fuck load?"

my experience is, china town was the best bang for your buck and quality wise.

everywhere else sucks, unless you're going to a highend place, then be prepared to shell out big bucks.

fuck, be prepared to shell out big bucks even for a "normal" meal haha

hehe actually its not THAT bad when you figure out where the good value places are. I've spent lots of time here, so I've gotten to know quite a lot of cool places that aren't too crazy.

Gordan Ramsay has a gastropub, and its fairly good! The price will run you about 16 quid (about $28 CAD).

As I'm addicted to Pho for life, the two places I'd recommend are Song Que on Kingsland Road (out in Shoreditch), and also Cafe East, which is outside the Canada Water tube station.

For Chinatown food, I only stick to HK Diner and Cafe TPT, both down the street from Les Miserables.

For curries (Asian/Bangladeshi cuisine), I'd definitely hit up Bricklane - priced really well, and good if you're going drinking in Shoreditch closeby after!

For Korean, try Kaya in Mayfair, or Asadal outside Holborn station, both will run you about 20ish pounds/person

PM me for any other questions!

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-19-2009 06:23 AM

http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/

this was pretty good when I went, and it's not expensive (relative to london).

I recommend trying like, all their beers, their fruit beers are good, and just like fuckin munch out all their seafoods and meats, then drink more beer get tanked, and go drink more beer somewhere else.

LOL first few days I was trying to find meals I could get for under 8 pounds, after a few days, I gave up. You can't get anything decent that cheap.