REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #101
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I don't even remember the
Last time I saw someone play street hockey. Its kinda sad seeing how the new generation is dependent
On this technology and seems to be loseing there imagination.
Absolutely...... we played at night until the sun went down and then some. Imagination. That's something we all had. We invented games, we used whatever we could find to play sports, and we built stuff, like forts, without the use of fancy tools.

Where I grew up, we had a large, at least it was in our eyes, parking lot. We played stick ball using sticks (duh) and a half pint milk carton. We built forts using old crates we took from Sunrise Market (vegetable store). We used the nails and wood from the crates.

For hockey, we made our own version of a hockey stick and used rolled up old tape as a puck. We ended up shooting more rocks at each other than anything else because there were so many rocks on the asphalt. I remember that caused a lot of fights. Funny........ I don't know what we called each other when we fought. Fuck wasn't used back then, I don't think. Asshole, maybe? Anyway...........

EDIT: just remembered, we used Chinese words like, Diu Nei Makahai. Humgup, and a few other choice words.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 09-02-2009 at 07:50 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #102
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
It wasn't Knight Street Bridge, 'cause I don't think it was built yet. I believe it was the Fraser Street Bridge, which no longer exists.
Wow. That makes perfect sense now. I've always wondered why the lights on No. 5 rd lined up with Fraser st. as you go down towards Marine Dr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 09-02-2009 at 08:13 AM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Another was the Shell on Hastings/Renfrew across from Petro Canada. It's now a Holiday inn.
The old shell station was on the corner, where the low raise condo is. The Holiday Inn was next door to the shell station.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #104

The Pacific Coliseum was where the Canucks use to play before GM place. Before and after the game, the restaurant across the street was very busy. The building is still there, but is no longer a restaurant. I believe it is some sort of school or something for the challenged people.

Back in the mid/late 80's, the team was horrible. When watching the them, by the middle of the third period, people were already heading out the doors. There was one fan who and a trumpet or a leather wrapped drum and he would always try to start the wave.

There is video of him going nuts banging on the drum and dancing, trying to inspire the fans and team.

I remember going to one game with my dad. The CAnucks lost to the Pens 6-3, but Tony Tanti scored a hat trick for the Nuck's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #105
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Wow. That makes perfect sense now. I've always wondered why the lights on No. 6 rd lined up with Fraser st. as you go down towards Marine Dr.
I've always wondered that too!
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #106
MG1

Quote:
The Pacific Coliseum was where the Canucks use to play before GM place. Before and after the game, the restaurant across the street was very busy. The building is still there, but is no longer a restaurant. I believe it is some sort of school or something for the challenged people.
For some strange reason The Keg comes to mind, but I think the last restaurant to be there was the Sirloiner.

Quote:
Back in the mid/late 80's, the team was horrible. When watching the them, by the middle of the third period, people were already heading out the doors. There was one fan who and a trumpet or a leather wrapped drum and he would always try to start the wave.

There is video of him going nuts banging on the drum and dancing, trying to inspire the fans and team.

I remember going to one game with my dad. The CAnucks lost to the Pens 6-3, but Tony Tanti scored a hat trick for the Nuck's.
I don't think it was him, but as far as famous people who were at games cheering people on go, all I can remember is a guy who went by the name of "Crazy George". He was at Lions games and the Canucks games, I think......

Last edited by MG1; 09-02-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #107
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Wow. That makes perfect sense now. I've always wondered why the lights on No. 6 rd lined up with Fraser st. as you go down towards Marine Dr.
your meaning #5 Rd. will most likely line up with Fraser St.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #108
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Yeah dont you mean No 5 rd? i noticed that too driving on No 5, and seeing fraser st ahead.

EDIT:

Found something on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Street_Bridge

Quote:
The [Knight Street] bridge was built to replace an obsolete span linking the south end of Fraser Street with No. 5 Road in Richmond via Mitchell Island. The Fraser Street Bridge was a through truss built in 1905 with a swing span on the northern side of Mitchell Island. The channel was difficult to navigate, making collisions with ships and barges routine. The height of the Knight Street bridge alleviated this problem and the Fraser Street Bridge was dismantled.

Last edited by shenmecar; 09-02-2009 at 08:25 AM.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #109
MG1

Thanks, shenmecar...........

Just as a side note. Why is it I can thank people sometimes, but can't at other times?

Right now, I only have three choices. Quote, Multi+, and Quick. Is there like a limit or something?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #110
Unauthourized Spammer

I'm pretty young compared to some of the stuff mentioned but I do remember a few things.

I am old enough to remember Woodwards and the LEGOLAND display. The 6th floor was a kids dream at any time of year let alone at Christmas.

I remember going to Gastown as a kid when the Skytrain first opened. Back then, we had to catch it from New West as we lived way out in the valley. No bridge to Surrey at that time. There was this neat place called 'The Meatmarket' in Gastown near the old spaghetti factory.

I actually have tickets from Expo 86 (family had a season's pass) and even have skytrain tickets from 1986. I was a little kid then but I remember Expo really well.

Prices are one thing I remember. Back in 1985, I remember my dad was starting a business and was stressed out because he had a $50,000 mortgage on a brand new home on 5 acres in Langley.

I'm starting to feel old but it makes me understand how old people will think back to when they were little and how it just felt so much 'better'.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #111
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,529 Times in 532 Posts
Here's a great link and a must see/read for those that are loving this thread http://vancouverneon.com/. The photo's are amazing but i can't link them.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #112
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,529 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I don't even remember the
Last time I saw someone play street hockey. Its kinda sad seeing how the new generation is dependent
On this technology and seems to be loseing there imagination.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I guess kids are too busy playing NHL10 on their consoles and flatscreens rather than heading outside for the real thing. Lucky for us the games sucked back then..
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #113
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Wow this is an awesome thread. I lived in vancouver on grandview and nanaimo where the chevron used to be until I was 6 then we moved to surrey. I remember the safeway that used to be on kingsway and knight and the fields that used to be there as well which is now a dollar store. Vancouver has changed so much from when I was a kid. When we were younger technology wasnt as advanced as it is today so we had to play sports and do other shit then sit on our asses playing cs, wow, console games. Now a days kids just care about who's got better clothes, cars, etc.... pretty sad how cell phone texting, twitter, facebook and online communication has replaced going out to meet up with your friends or just plain old talking on the phone.

Last edited by hotjoint; 09-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #114
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Wow this is an awesome thread. I lived in vancouver on grandview and nanaimo where the chevron used to be until I was 6 then we moved to surrey. I remember the safeway that used to be on kingsway and nanaimo and the fields that used to be there as well which is now a dollar store.
Haha............. now that you mention it, I remember that Safeway. It had a huge parking lot. It later became Value Village until they tore the building down.

The dollar store you speak of is awesome. It survived a huge fire not long ago.

I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but Mainland Liquidators suffered a fire, too. They are now at Mopac's old location.

Speaking of Mopac, do you guys remember them having a store further up Kingsway in Burnaby?

EDIT: Correction, they were still on the Vancouver side of the border. Funny about all Mopac locations. All the workers there, no matter which location, including the old Surrey store, parked their cars in an angle to, I guess, protect their cars from being dinged. Never parking between the lines like us regular folk.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #115
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^Don't you mean Kingsway/Knight ?
There also used to be a safeway at 41st/Victoria, now its the London Drugs.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #116
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
Yeah, it was Knight Street........

Right........ there was a Safeway at 41st and Victoria. What's with Safeway? There was a time all Safeways were built the same way. Dome or parabolic shaped roofs. Then, for some crazy reason they either turned into Vallue Villages or IGA's.

The Value Village on Kingsway and Edmunds. Was that a Safeway too? I bet it was, 'cause it has the same architecture.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
That was before Victoria and 41st became known as Victoria Square. I remember that because I lived on 41st, not 200 steps away from that Safeway. Sometime back in 1998? 1999?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #118

Quote:
Haha............. now that you mention it, I remember that Safeway. It had a huge parking lot. It later became Value Village until they tore the building down.

The dollar store you speak of is awesome. It survived a huge fire not long ago.

I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but Mainland Liquidators suffered a fire, too. They are now at Mopac's old location.

Speaking of Mopac, do you guys remember them having a store further up Kingsway in Burnaby?

EDIT: Correction, they were still on the Vancouver side of the border. Funny about all Mopac locations. All the workers there, no matter which location, including the old Surrey store, parked their cars in an angle to, I guess, protect their cars from being dinged. Never parking between the lines like us regular folk.

The Safeway became some flee market before they tore it down.

The dollar store survived 2 fires.

Mainland Liquidators is in the old Mopac store, that use to be a Consumers Distributing.

The old Mopac was the newer location. The old location is further up Kingsway, and is now a Korean Market.

How many people remember Minnam Racing? How many people remember where their old location was?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #119
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Only decent shot of the Fraser Street Bridge I was able to find...

InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #120

Quote:
Thanks, shenmecar...........

Just as a side note. Why is it I can thank people sometimes, but can't at other times?

Right now, I only have three choices. Quote, Multi+, and Quick. Is there like a limit or something?
Maybe because i edited my post? I dunno. weird. LOL.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #121
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Mainland Liquidators is in the old Mopac store, that use to be a Consumers Distributing.
LoL... Consumers Distributing used to be so popular... what happened?

Just the other week, I saw an old Consumers Distributing bag at my fiance's mother's place...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
That was before Victoria and 41st became known as Victoria Square. I remember that because I lived on 41st, not 200 steps away from that Safeway. Sometime back in 1998? 1999?
Both the Safeway on Vic and 41st and Renfrew and 1st ave closed at the same time. This was back in 96 or 97. I started working at Superstore back in 98 and the LD was already there. There use to be a shoppers Drug mart on the opposite corner and closed soon after the LD was opened, then it became a 7-11 which replaced the 7-11 that was on Kingsway and Nanimo when they built the new Esso station.

The 7-11 on Vic and 41st is now gone and is that ice cream coffee place.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post

Just the other week, I saw an old Consumers Distributing bag at my fiance's mother's place...
They use to have a store at STation square, just under the stairs beside the old Sport Check.

I bought my first set of rechargable batteries from the CD on Kingsway.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #124
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I remember going to expo with my parents. That was the shit
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #125
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post

Wowsers........... Consumers Distributing. Damn, it was huge news back then. I remember lining up the day they opened up in their Burnaby location. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Station Square in Metrotown?? It's that sporting goods store now.

Damn, so much history, huh?

EDIT: Damn, you buggers type so fast.......... I hunt and peck