REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Samoa drivers brace for left turn (https://www.revscene.net/forums/588487-samoa-drivers-brace-left-turn.html)

thumper 09-07-2009 07:52 PM

Samoa drivers brace for left turn

samoan drivers have to switch from driving on the right like it is in north america, over to the left side, like many asian and european countries have as standard... this can't end well :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8243110.stm

Quote:

Samoa has become the first country since the 1970s to change the side of the road on which cars are driven.

At 0600 local time (1700GMT) sirens sounded and drivers were told to move from the right side to the left.

The government brought about the change to bring Samoa into line with other South Pacific nations.

A two-day holiday was declared to ease traffic as people got used to the new rules, which faced legal challenges from groups which predicted chaos.

At 0600, Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Lupesoliai Malielegaoi addressed the country on national radio.

"After this announcement you will all be permitted to move to the other side of the road, to begin this new era in our history," the New Zealand Herald quoted him as saying.

Emergency vehicles and government workers were reportedly stationed at every junction and corner but witnesses said the change happened smoothly.

Barbara Dreaver, a correspondent for New Zealand Television, said the scene was "just amazing" but that traffic was flowing "fairly well".

"There were hundreds of people who had come out, just to watch this happen," she said.

Cars are going to crash, people are going to die - not to mention the huge expense to our country

Tole'afoa Solomona Toa'iloa
Samoa lawyer

Samoa drivers brace for left turn
"We've had the odd squealing of brakes as people suddenly realise that they should not be on that side of the road, but for the most part it's been very smooth."

The move survived a late legal appeal by the protest group People Against Switching Sides (Pass), who argued that it would bring mayhem to the highways and byways of this remote South Pacific nation.

Bus drivers have also protested that their doors will now open on the wrong side, in the middle of the road.

But the Samoan government introduced the change to end its reliance on expensive, left-hand drive imports from America.

It hopes that Samoan expatriates in Australia and New Zealand will now ship used, more affordable vehicles back to their homeland.

To minimise the chaos, a two-day national holiday has been declared to keep cars off the road, and prayers have been said at the country's churches in the hope of blessing the changeover.

kumbo1 09-07-2009 08:19 PM

LHD is the real way to drive on the roads.

Berzerker 09-07-2009 08:19 PM

Wow thats crazy. Every line on the road will have to be repainted. The cost of doing that just doesn't seem to outweight the benifits of importing RHD cars.

Berz out.

ilvtofu 09-07-2009 09:28 PM

So did they just turn their traffic lights backwards O.o

wnderinguy 09-07-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6581814)
Wow thats crazy. Every line on the road will have to be repainted. The cost of doing that just doesn't seem to outweight the benifits of importing RHD cars.

Berz out.

Or maybe just allow RHD vehicles to be imported,even though the majority are LHD,there are now going to be both anyway ??? sheesh...

Rikaro 09-07-2009 10:01 PM

lol good for them. Imagine doing this in Richmond haha

ilvtofu 09-07-2009 10:03 PM

^I've seen people drive in the opposite lane in richmond...

!Tigger 09-08-2009 12:18 AM

who hasnt

StealthFighter 09-08-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6581987)
^I've seen people drive in the opposite lane in richmond...

same here. god damn sketchy c-lais.

maxx 09-08-2009 05:25 PM

Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Lupesoliai Malielegaoi

Samoa lawyer Tole'afoa Solomona Toa'iloa

nice

hk20000 09-08-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Cars are going to crash, people are going to die - not to mention the huge expense to our country
This line is totally out of context and random to the max....

SkinnyPupp 09-08-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 6581776)
samoan drivers have to switch from driving on the right like it is in north america, over to the left side, like many asian and european countries have as standard... this can't end well :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8243110.stm

What do you mean "many asian and european countries"? The only countries in those continents that drive on the wrong side of the road are Japan, and UK. Also India and Hong Kong (formerly part of UK).

ilvtofu 09-08-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxx (Post 6582974)
Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Lupesoliai Malielegaoi

Samoa lawyer Tole'afoa Solomona Toa'iloa

nice

Are those clicks? (click)ble

hk20000 09-08-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6582981)
What do you mean "many asian and european countries"? The only countries in those continents that drive on the wrong side of the road are Japan, and UK. Also India and Hong Kong (formerly part of UK).

Australia and New Zealand

StylinRed 09-08-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbone (Post 6582164)
who hasnt

who hasn't seen it happen in Richmond

or who hasn't driven the wrong way?

if its the latter then... wow

SkinnyPupp 09-08-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 6582995)
Australia and New Zealand

Oh they became a part of Europe and Asia did they? When did that happen?

Anyway, if you take out all the countries that are or were once British colonies, you are left with 1 or 2 countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm happy to see that progressive governments are switching their rules.

hk20000 09-08-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6582998)
Oh they became a part of Europe and Asia did they? When did that happen?

Anyway, if you take out all the countries that are or were once British colonies, you are left with 1 or 2 countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm happy to see that progressive governments are switching their rules.

Ya Aussies are British convicts remember? :thumbsup:

thumper 09-08-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 6582996)
who hasn't seen it happen in Richmond

or who hasn't driven the wrong way?

if its the latter then... wow

i had a c-lai in a minivan turn RIGHT from the LEFT TURN LANE in front of me at landsdowne mall today... does that count?

i guess i should i should have known better because she WAS signalling right... but then again i couldn't see it since i was in the right lane :o

StylinRed 09-09-2009 12:00 AM

^^^ lol, ive had that happen a lot. my friend got hit in his side because of a clai doing that