REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Officers bringing back non-ticketed issues? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589036-officers-bringing-back-non-ticketed-issues.html)

JHatta 09-12-2009 12:54 PM

Officers bringing back non-ticketed issues?

Can/do officers who appear in court to dispute tickets talk about non-ticketed issues?

For instance, A cop pulls you over for multiple reasons: speeding (primary), tint/exhaust/etc (secondary), but only tickets you for the speeding. He tells you that he is being nice (or some other variation of that), and he will only give you the speeding ticket. If you dispute the ticket in court, can he/she bring the secondary issue back up? Would this result additional tickets, or any other issues?

zulutango 09-12-2009 06:53 PM

I usually gave basic info for stopping the car...I saw that the driv er was not wearing his belt, but found that he was a prohibited driver when he did not produce his DL & I ran a check.,..that sort of thing. If I issued a VT for defective equipment and found 4 regs violations in a roadside inspection I would note them but in my testimony add that I decided to only charge for the bald tyres and issued a N&O for the other defects...that sort of thing. It helped the JP put things into context and showed that it was not a CS ticket and that I could have issued more. The penalty would not be any greater because of this info but the JP would be unlikely to reduce the fine as I had already given the driver a break. Police can issue a VT up to 12 months from the initial offense date and do not have to issue them all at the scene at that time. It can be a real PITA chasing a driver down later so it's better use of my time to issue all appropriate charges at the time, on the spot.

JHatta 09-12-2009 10:17 PM

thanks

that answered my question.

CRS 09-13-2009 11:49 AM

The answer to all your questions is yes.

Yes, when the officer is presenting his/her case, he/she can bring all relevant tickets that could have been issued. At that time, he/she can issue those tickets (if it was 12 months or less since the offence).

And like zulu said, JP would be unlikely to give you a break if you are found guilty. In fact, the JP could increase the amount of the ticket IIRC.

c32 09-13-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6590360)
The answer to all your questions is yes.

Yes, when the officer is presenting his/her case, he/she can bring all relevant tickets that could have been issued. At that time, he/she can issue those tickets (if it was 12 months or less since the offence).

And like zulu said, JP would be unlikely to give you a break if you are found guilty. In fact, the JP could increase the amount of the ticket IIRC.

no thats wrong, they cannot bring it up, even if they do try to, there will be no way he can give you another ticket in court, this guy is just tryna scare you, dispute it, do the right thing brotha.

CRS 09-13-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phucmang (Post 6590450)
no thats wrong, they cannot bring it up, even if they do try to, there will be no way he can give you another ticket in court, this guy is just tryna scare you, dispute it, do the right thing brotha.

Why can't they bring it up? When you're actually in court and the JP asks the officer to tell what had happened, what makes you think that the officer won't bring this up?

And why can't the police officer issue you another ticket if it is within the time restraints?

Could you at least say what where you're getting your info from? Or are you just guessing?

zulutango 09-14-2009 07:38 AM

According to his sig he lives parked in a parallel universe. Maybe it applies there, but not in this one.

Graeme S 09-14-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phucmang (Post 6590450)

Officers are allowed to reference their notes--why wouldn't they be allowed to describe the full situation? They are not only allowed to talk about the ticketed offence, they're also allowed to talk about the situation, and any other circumstances.

Cops are allowed to issue tickets up to 12 months after the original offence. Someone on RS once disputed a ticket and then was asked why by the officer before the court date. He said the reason (wrong date/location/license plate/car/whatever), so the cop made a note to redact the original ticket and reissued one with the proper information.

JP called them up, cop told the JP, original ticket no longer to be valid, case dismissed, revised ticket to be paid and/or disputed.

Do your research before you post on the internet--especially when you're posting in a forum where cops work and lurk.

falcon 09-14-2009 04:15 PM

Another question..

What about if you were tagged going say 80+ in a 50 (JUST for example...) and the officer only gives you a 60 in a 50 or similar ticket, saying he is "cutting you a break"... and suggests NO disputing because he WILL bring it up in court.

CRS 09-14-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6592372)
Another question..

What about if you were tagged going say 80+ in a 50 (JUST for example...) and the officer only gives you a 60 in a 50 or similar ticket, saying he is "cutting you a break"... and suggests NO disputing because he WILL bring it up in court.

I don't see a question here.

But assuming he cut you a break, take it and call it a day. Pay early and get $25 off. That's like a double bonus/break!

If the question you failed to ask was "can the officer bring this up?" then yes, yes he can. In fact, before even going into court, he can change the ticket and give you the excessive one and tell the judge the first one is void.

Enjoy paying more money!!

JHatta 09-14-2009 11:26 PM

OK sweet, you guys can keep arguing about bullshit after the question was answered.

I have another question (police officers), where are these notes about the ticket/situation stored? Do you write them in a log book or are they filed electronically, and can be brought up when an officer checks your license and registration?

zulutango 09-15-2009 05:28 AM

Notes specific to any individuqal VT are written on the lsst page of the issued VT. If there was some other reason that was covered by the traffic stop and a GO # was created, then some of that VT info, plus any other normal file info, would be attached to the electronic file.

xpl0sive 09-15-2009 08:26 AM

i had a cop like "cut me a break" like that once too. he gave me a ticket for driving without due care and said that if i disputed the ticket and he had to do all the work and bring witnesses to court we would ask the JP to suspend my license... well guess what, i did dispute it, and the cop didn't even show up... i guess it was too much work

zulutango 09-15-2009 11:37 AM

Maybe he had some other work-related priority, ilness, family emergency ? Maybe they scheduled traffic court on the same day he had criminal court...happens.

falcon 09-16-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6592971)
I don't see a question here.

But assuming he cut you a break, take it and call it a day. Pay early and get $25 off. That's like a double bonus/break!

If the question you failed to ask was "can the officer bring this up?" then yes, yes he can. In fact, before even going into court, he can change the ticket and give you the excessive one and tell the judge the first one is void.

Enjoy paying more money!!

it was just a question... sheehs/

CRS 09-16-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6596380)
it was just a question... sheehs/

Too bad it was more of a statement.