REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Ferry Terminals (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589329-ferry-terminals.html)

Bouncing Bettys 09-15-2009 10:20 AM

Ferry Terminals

When is the best time to arrive early at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal

ChrisStang 09-15-2009 10:23 AM

When there is no line up.

shenmecar 09-15-2009 10:50 AM

Is this for real?

Can you not check the ferry schedule online?

Bouncing Bettys 09-15-2009 10:57 AM

perhaps i didn't word that correctly. i want to know how early i should show up for a particular departure. like how you should get to the airport and more than an hour ahead of your flight to make sure you have enough time to check baggage, go through security, etc. i'm driving from kamloops so i want to make sure i leave myself enough time.

Enraged 09-15-2009 11:08 AM

i think the minimum to load is 15 minutes before departure time, assuming no line up.

Great68 09-15-2009 11:08 AM

If you have a reservation: 1/2 hour before sailing or earlier. If you show up 28 minutes before your sailing they will not honour your reservation.

If you don't have a reservation:
Depends on how busy the ferries are. I have most success in making a sailing by showing up 45 minutes before sailing, unless they're REALLY busy.

Sometimes I've practially driven straight from the ticket booth onto the ferry, if they are not busy they don't enforce the 15 minute prior to sailing rule.

wnderinguy 09-15-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 (Post 6593521)
perhaps i didn't word that correctly. i want to know how early i should show up for a particular departure. like how you should get to the airport and more than an hour ahead of your flight to make sure you have enough time to check baggage, go through security, etc. i'm driving from kamloops so i want to make sure i leave myself enough time.

as stated already there are minimum times 15 minutes,but depending on traffic volume or mechanical troubles with the vessels there can be several sailing waits .I know on the Island we have overhead signs on the Hwy leading to the Terminals that indicate volume and wait times,this differs depending on time of day and Ferry route.They also have a 1-800 number on the board or you can check online http://orca.bcferries.com:8080/cc/conditions/

Manic! 09-15-2009 12:29 PM

Get there 20 min before the sailing on a regular day. Take a look at there website to see how much space is left for cars.

shenmecar 09-15-2009 12:40 PM

When i usually drive there, I usually get there 30-40 minutes earlier. Really depends on volume that day though. Sometimes im at the front of the line and sometimes im in the back.

El Bastardo 09-15-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 (Post 6593521)

30 mins is a safe bet if you're driving unless you're travelling on a weekend, then I'd try to be there more like 45 minutes ahead. Because theres no security checkpoint you merely have to pay and drive on in. If possible, turn the radio to 1130AM to get ferry updates when you get in range.

GregM 09-15-2009 04:30 PM

What ferry are you catching? What day will you be traveling one?

Plan on anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour... If you are coming on a friday evening, or sunday id double that.

stevo911_ 09-15-2009 04:41 PM

as gregM said what time of day, which route, and what day of the week?
generally theres a big rush of people heading to the terminals around 20 mins before the sailing, so i'd aim for 30-45, but with more info i can probably do a better job of advising you (i took the twassen-schwartz bay route 50 someodd times last year)

AJL 09-15-2009 07:11 PM

I take the ferry atleast once a month on the weekend.

Plan to be at the terminal an hour before the sailing you want but try to plan your trip around the sailing times that occur every hour, sundays it was between 4-6 but recently it has been every hour, if you miss the sailing you want you only have an hour wait.

During the week I found that 30 mins before the sailing you can make the one you want.

Also as you get closer to the terminal it will tell you the status of the next sailing.

Super Dipper 09-15-2009 10:34 PM

leaving your place about a hr before is a good amount of time generally.

if im in downtown van, burnaby or richmond, it usually takes me about 25-35 mins to get out to the ferry depending on traffic.

on the island i can be at the terminal within 15 mins so i leave a little later.