REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   ECU repair in town (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589402-ecu-repair-town.html)

oldsnail 09-15-2009 09:12 PM

ECU repair in town

I was wondering if any of you know where to repair ECU's.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with the VQ30DE.
I was presented with series of engine codes that relates to the Idle Control Valve and MAF.

Upon further inspection, my ECU is burnt. I have an NEC chip on the ECU board which is darker than ash. This is not the regulator for the ICV, not sure what it does. searched on maxima forums to find that ICV/MAF/ECU/Coils are common problems with this era of maximas. i've only replaced the coils which are not cheap.

I have already purchased my MAF/ ICV replacement parts and require the repair of the ECU. Dealers no longer repair ECU's and will only sell you new / referb ones which apparently cost alot and will have to recode the entire vehicle.

Thanks

oldsnail 09-15-2009 09:13 PM

car currently runs, idles at around 2000RPM and feels like it wants to accelerate

godwin 09-16-2009 01:56 PM

The car is so old, you mine as well get one off carparts or local places like affordable etc. (though affordable is not actually "affordable").

oldsnail 09-16-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 6595679)
The car is so old, you mine as well get one off carparts or local places like affordable etc. (though affordable is not actually "affordable").

I am not sure what is your definition of so old , it is a 2000 model.. which is less than a decade old.. This repair is not cheap so far..
coils = 120 x 6 = 720
ICV = 300
MAF = 400

and this is just on parts.. i still need to fix the ECU.. if i buy a used ECU, i will have to take it to the dealer and recode/ program the car and immbolizer

godwin 09-16-2009 05:48 PM

So old = There should be plenty of junked Maximas out there.

There are at least 2 junked ones in GVRD just by a search:

9E1483 $Call Pro Import Auto Recyclers - QRPBC Can-BC(Abbotsford) Request_Quote 1-604-857-2211
0J9102 $Call Ideal Auto Wrecking Ltd. Can-BC(Chilliwack) Request_Quote 888-718-1118 / 1-604-824-1822

That's for SE/GXE with traction.

For car that age, you might be able to get someone with the proper snapon module to recode it for you instead of going to the dealer.

If you want, take a picture of the burn out section, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the burnt out part, but depending on the part, you don't know if there are anything toast downstream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnail (Post 6595836)
I am not sure what is your definition of so old , it is a 2000 model.. which is less than a decade old.. This repair is not cheap so far..
coils = 120 x 6 = 720
ICV = 300
MAF = 400

and this is just on parts.. i still need to fix the ECU.. if i buy a used ECU, i will have to take it to the dealer and recode/ program the car and immbolizer

oldsnail 09-27-2009 10:35 PM

update:
i was able to repair the ecu. the cost was less than $10. bought the actually chip and had it soldered.

the ecu option is not cheap. there are 26 diffearant ecu's for my generation of maxima (00-03). and i needed the exact one.. automatic tranny, electronic engine mount, immbolizer, non-LSD, traction/ stability control, 3L engine was the bare min i needed. it was $1200 from the dealer and there was non available from the local junk yards. im not sure about the snap on , but i know i have to decode my key from the dealer if i get a new ecu and for the dealer to do that was another $120 for it will not start

oldsnail 09-27-2009 10:36 PM

and the culprit was the 'electronic engine mounts'. i just unplugged them for now. they seem sorta useless. If the SE and GXE works fine without them.. i assume they work fine