REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Looking for ECU repair (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589458-looking-ecu-repair.html)

oldsnail 09-16-2009 10:29 AM

Looking for ECU repair

I was wondering if any of you know where to repair ECU's.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with the VQ30DE.
I was presented with series of engine codes that relates to the Idle Control Valve and MAF.

In addition, my ECU is burnt. I took the ECU out and I have an NEC chip on the ECU board which is darker than ash. This is not the regulator for the ICV, not sure what it does. searched on maxima forums to find that ICV/MAF/ECU/Coils are common problems with this era of maximas. i've only replaced the coils which are not cheap.

I have already purchased my MAF/ ICV replacement parts and require the repair of the ECU. Dealers no longer repair ECU's and will only sell you new / referb ones which apparently cost alot and will have to recode the entire vehicle.

If anyone knows how to repair ECU's, please let me know.

Thanks

Super Dipper 09-16-2009 02:30 PM

PM benny95ta

Benny95TA 09-16-2009 08:11 PM

As Jas mentioned, I may be able to do it. My first thought though is WHY did the ECU burn up? Are the parts you have just replacements for what cooked, or do they address the reason why stuff was burnt as well? I don't want to see someone spend money repairing something if its just going to happen again.

I'd have a better idea of what was involved if you could take a picture of the circiut board, throw it in an image editor and cirlce the parts to be replaced, and email it to me. Email addy is benny95ta at hotmail dot com. Alternatively, you can PM me to see if we can work out a time to meet up and have a look at the ECU.

Thanks,

Benny

oldsnail 09-16-2009 09:10 PM

i always thought ECU burning was a myth.. Emailed, thanks

Benny95TA 09-17-2009 07:03 PM

Most (if not all?) electronic components have a wattage rating... this is how much power they can dissipate before they heat up too much. If the component passes too much current it will exceed the wattage rating and heat up beyond what it is designed for. Bad things happen then... the most dramatic being a small explosion. Sometimes they melt which you can see with a quick visual inspection, and other times they look OK on the outside but have melted on the inside. Anyways, all symptoms are terminal. :)

Great68 09-17-2009 10:36 PM

Don't you know, electronics have this magic smoke inside that comes out sometimes!

ChrisStang 09-18-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6598607)
Don't you know, electronics have this magic smoke inside that comes out sometimes!

Which differs from the usual "magic smoke" that surrounds you?