REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Wrong Plate Number ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/590040-wrong-plate-number-ticket.html)

CA_FTW 09-21-2009 06:38 AM

Wrong Plate Number ticket

I got a Ticket for "Wrong Plate Number"

Section 13 iYd MVA ...(Thats what it looks like on the ticket messy writing)

anyways.. can someone post up that is says in that section..

Thanks

skidmark 09-21-2009 11:32 AM

13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway
(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.

zulutango 09-21-2009 11:42 AM

So what vehicle did the plate really belong to?

CA_FTW 09-21-2009 11:56 AM

Sold Car A on the 16th..

Picked up car B on evening of the 19th..

Drove Car B with Car A's plates (According to ICBC your allowed to do this for 10 days)
(Forgot the Transfer papers for Car A Sale at home)

Couldnt prove to the cops why the plates were swapped, since i got pulled over in a speed trap.. (Insurance was still valid.)

zulutango 09-22-2009 05:49 AM

You must have disposed of the interest to car A...in other words, sold it or removed it from the roadway permanantly etc..in order to transfer the plates to car B...if this is not done, then car B is not legally registered and the insurance would not be valid for car B..it would still remain valid for can A until it is cancelled. I don't know why the M VB deems it essential to have this plate swap setup..this is the only Province in Canada that I know of where this is permitted. Even in remote rural Nfld you cant swap plates. It creates all sorts of confusion as very few people even come close to meeting the requirements to permit the temp usage.

The current setup requirements ( written on the back of the ICBC Tax & Transfer form by the way) are done so people can't just flip plates from vehicle to vehicle and only pay for one registration/insurance certificate. You must dispose of the old vehicle, COMPLETE ALL OF THE FORM, carry the regsitration from the old vehicle and the new vehicle and PRODUCE ALL THE COMPLETED PAPERWORK TO THE COPS WHEN STOPPED AND ASKED FOR IT. You got a break...you were actually up for a $598 no insurance VT because you were not insured...your old car was.

xpl0sive 09-22-2009 07:31 AM

people still get away with swapping plates because the carry a fully filled out transfer paper for car A, and if they ever get pulled over or get in an accident, they simply put in the date when the paper was completed and the insurance becomes valid all of a sudden...

zulutango 09-22-2009 07:45 AM

The Tax & Transfer form must be completely filled out...that inclused the date and the odometer reading. That would be in the handriting of ther original owner. ICBC would likely interview the seller and ask them the date & time of the sale. I believe there is also a copy there for the seller is there not? Anyone who sells a vehicle and does not fill the complete form out is leaving themselves open for a huge liability and legal problem. They are still the registered owner and are responsible for VTs, VIs, and any legal payouts in a crash. Ever think who is on the hook for towing and storage charges should the vehicle ever be abandoned? Ther RO. Just plain stupid to leave yourself open for liability.

jlenko 09-22-2009 08:03 AM

And there is the loophole... the person with the plate on the car, was the original owner of this "Car A" in question... so of course it would be their handwriting. They can interview the seller all they want.. it's the same person that just got pulled over in Car B with Car A's plates on it!

zulutango 09-22-2009 09:20 AM

They would have to have scrapped the car and disposed of it.. and there still is the matter of the odometer readings...and perjury in court.

CA_FTW 09-22-2009 09:52 AM

The Old car was sold, and the paperwork was done so it was disposed of..

I just left the papers at my buddys house..

I met all the requirements as stated by ICBC (Just didnt ahve the Documents on hand at that moment.)

Using the plates from your old vehicle
You can drive your "new" vehicle using the licence plates from your old one for 10 days from the date of purchase if all of these conditions are met:
The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C.
You have sold or otherwise disposed of your old vehicle.
Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).
The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

xpl0sive 09-22-2009 09:59 AM

so then go to court, show the JP the papers, and if he's in a good mood, he'll let you off... if he's not he'll say well it's your fault for not having the papers so pay up, he will reduce the fine tho...

skidmark 09-22-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 6604340)
people still get away with swapping plates because the carry a fully filled out transfer paper for car A, and if they ever get pulled over or get in an accident, they simply put in the date when the paper was completed and the insurance becomes valid all of a sudden...

A transfer paper that is not completed is not valid. This trick would not have worked if I stopped you.

zulutango 09-22-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_FTW (Post 6604542)
The Old car was sold, and the paperwork was done so it was disposed of..

I just left the papers at my buddys house..

I met all the requirements as stated by ICBC (Just didnt ahve the Documents on hand at that moment.)

Using the plates from your old vehicle
You can drive your "new" vehicle using the licence plates from your old one for 10 days from the date of purchase if all of these conditions are met:
The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C.
You have sold or otherwise disposed of your old vehicle.
Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).
The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

Not quite...read the back of the tax & transfer paper...about producing the paperwork on demand. You did not and therefore did not comply with the requirements of the MVB tio permit you to use the plates. It is quite specific foer the very reasson stated here...fraud. I have stopped vehicles that are in their 4th or 5th owner since the original owner sold the car. Paperwork was just signed and no date or odometer or even buyer's name and address filled in. I wish they would scrap the whole section as it serves no useful purpose, causes confusion and encourages rampant fraud.

EG6EXCLUSIVE 09-29-2009 08:14 AM

i got a ticket for not having my license plate on..it was on the windshield but i was fixing my front bumper..cop could clearly see it was being fixed..bondo everywere..and he still gave me aticked even though i explained my situation. Cops really cant give people a break now a days ?

zulutango 09-29-2009 08:45 AM

Plate on the dash = super sized razor blade waiting to slice open occupants.

Great68 09-29-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6605178)
I wish they would scrap the whole section as it serves no useful purpose, causes confusion and encourages rampant fraud.

And screw the few people who DO use it correctly.

zulutango 09-29-2009 09:52 AM

I must be missing something here? How does it "screw the few people who DO use it correctly." If the system is being used correctly then there should be no problem for those who follow the rules?

CRS 09-29-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6613576)
And screw the few people who DO use it correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6613603)
I must be missing something here? How does it "screw the few people who DO use it correctly." If the system is being used correctly then there should be no problem for those who follow the rules?

Don't taze me bro.

Shoot me instead.

Great68 09-29-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6613603)

Sorry. I misread it as thinking you wanted the 10 day plate transfer gone.

My bad.

Great68 09-29-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6613687)
Don't taze me bro.

Shoot me instead.

Oh look it's my little forum follower again.

CRS 09-29-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6614086)
Oh look it's my little forum follower again.

Don't flatter yourself.

Great68 09-29-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6614099)
Don't flatter yourself.

Sit UBU sit.

Good dog.

CRS 09-29-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6614126)
Sit UBU sit.

Good dog.

I'm glad you have delusional issues. I think you and Hyde should be friends. Boosty can come too.

zulutango 09-29-2009 07:27 PM

I DO want the whole 10 day flip the plates system gone. Too complicated for most people to folllow, too open to abuse and not needed at all. Get a TOP at purchase time if you can't get the plates and then get the proper plates on Monday...or go to an Autoplan agent in Superstore or have an agent come to the dealers.After all, how many people buy a car after 9pm on Sunday night anyway that we "need" this system? Sooooo much easier and simpler for everyone.