REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Vacuum Leak - Smoke Test (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593242-vacuum-leak-smoke-test.html)

bcrdukes 10-19-2009 01:39 PM

Vacuum Leak - Smoke Test

Hi guys,

I have a vacuum leak in my E30 but I don't know where it is coming from. Are there any shops out there that can do the smoke test to determine a vacuum leak?

jing 10-19-2009 02:49 PM

Have you tried checking all your lines yet? Seeing as it's an older car it probably wouldn't hurt to replace all of them anyways since the lines are pretty inexpensive!

lexluthor09 10-19-2009 04:13 PM

you could also do the messy way and spray a liquid that is very rich in fuel or even use propane.

spray around, your car will stall out if its close to the vacuum leak.

bcrdukes 10-19-2009 04:59 PM

See, the thing is, it's only apparent when it's cold. When the car gets warm, I'm sure the vacuum leak is still there but not as noticable.

godwin 10-19-2009 09:59 PM

What's wrong with the shops at BCBimmers?

bcrdukes 10-20-2009 12:05 AM

^
I only know of two - Al and Poon's and The Euro Shop. I've contacted Al so far and need to make an appointment with him. But otherwise, I just want to keep my options open.

godwin 10-20-2009 01:08 AM

Then there are Nixon and CG

Honestly for a car that vintage, you mind as well spend $40 bucks or so on a fogger and find it yourself. especially considering you will have to pay at least 3 shop hours to hunt down and fix the leak. Just be happy that the drive bay is relatively huge, that you can at least see where you are going;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6643477)
^
I only know of two - Al and Poon's and The Euro Shop. I've contacted Al so far and need to make an appointment with him. But otherwise, I just want to keep my options open.

Klobbersaurus 10-21-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexluthor09 (Post 6642618)
you could also do the messy way and spray a liquid that is very rich in fuel or even use propane.

your car will run better if you use propane, and propane isnt messy

lexluthor09 10-21-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus (Post 6646644)
your car will run better if you use propane, and propane isnt messy

i meant the liquid spraying part was messy.

and if you throw too much in there it'll stall out. trust me i've tried on my car lol.

Roach 10-23-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexluthor09 (Post 6642618)

+1. This method has worked for me before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 6643544)
Then there are Nixon and CG

Honestly for a car that vintage, you mind as well spend $40 bucks or so on a fogger and find it yourself. especially considering you will have to pay at least 3 shop hours to hunt down and fix the leak. Just be happy that the drive bay is relatively huge, that you can at least see where you are going;)

Where can I get a fogger locally? I've seen them used but was under the impression they are more expensive.

Kev

godwin 10-23-2009 11:43 AM

No but check out Harbor Freight, they have some stuff for propane etc once a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 6649771)
Where can I get a fogger locally? I've seen them used but was under the impression they are more expensive.

Kev

Phil@rise 10-23-2009 03:17 PM

Are you sure its a vacuum leak? If so how did you come to that conclusion? Theres a ton of possibilities for a vacuum leak manifold gasket, manifold cracks, vacuum lines, vacuum booster etc.

bcrdukes 10-23-2009 10:03 PM

The ECU/DME is throwing the worst code possible for E30s - code 1222, which denotes some kind of nastty vacuum leak. It is hard to start when cold. It runs rich like crazy. Idle (when cold) is a little wonky. Throttle response is terrible to the point where you can't even rev match properly without hammering the throttle. My gas mileage is getting worse and worse everyday. Wouldn't surprise me if I failed AirCare.

Phil@rise 10-28-2009 09:50 AM

any luck finding your vacuum leak?

bcrdukes 10-28-2009 11:50 AM

Just got back from Los Angeles, so no. Haven't had time to take a look at it. Seems to be getting only worse though. :)

bcrdukes 11-18-2009 02:42 PM

Well, I did the smoke test today. Turn's out - the DME was faulty and as well as a leaking injector. There was some seepage at the throttle body plate but nothing major. FML. :(

bcrdukes 11-28-2009 07:36 PM

Update.

Adding to injury - we found that the fuel filter was installed backwards.

FML.