REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Needed: torrent for an untouched XP ISO (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593889-needed-torrent-untouched-xp-iso.html)

underscore 10-24-2009 09:37 PM

Needed: torrent for an untouched XP ISO

I need to find a completely unmolested ISO of WinXP w/SP2, I have a key but I don't have a disc and everything I've found thus far is some kind of cracked or modified version (since Demonoid is down still). I just want plain ol' XP. Thanks

Razor Ramon HG 10-24-2009 09:52 PM

You didn't mention OEM or retail.

underscore 10-24-2009 10:03 PM

OEM being came installed on the laptop and retail being an upgrade bought in store yes? never knew there was a difference. I may need both then as I have the key stamped on the bottom of the laptop and an MSNDAA key, most important is the one from the bottom of the laptop tho.

SkinnyPupp 10-24-2009 10:12 PM

If it came with your laptop, chances are the key will only work with the laptop's OEM version.

underscore 10-24-2009 10:15 PM

so I can't just snag a copy of XP, toss it into the laptop and use the key on the laptop? it's all getting installed onto the original machine but the hdd died so now it needs to be installed onto the replacement drive. can I not do that?

Eclypz 10-25-2009 04:18 AM

Have you tried calling your laptop manufacturer?
Otherwise, just install a cracked one and call it a day...its probably more trouble than its worth to track down the one that came with your laptop.
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 10-25-2009 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6652176)
so I can't just snag a copy of XP, toss it into the laptop and use the key on the laptop? it's all getting installed onto the original machine but the hdd died so now it needs to be installed onto the replacement drive. can I not do that?

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I know with my wife's Asus, I tried to install a clean version of XP but the key didn't work.

Just get a copy of Win7 for $40. Or even full price! Still worth it

underscore 10-25-2009 10:21 AM

that's pretty fucking dumb then, a key for XP Pro 32 bit in English should be a key for XP Pro 32 bit in English.

what about my MSDNAA key? would I need to hunt down the ISO that they give out?

7 is not an option as a) it's an older laptop and b) the users of it are used to XP and just want plain old XP. If I go with a cracked version of XP (still annoyed I'd have to do that with a legit key on the bottom) is there any noticable quirks or issues with using that?

ddr 10-25-2009 02:04 PM

ya i've been having trouble with the xp keys i got from msdnaa....

SkinnyPupp 10-25-2009 04:31 PM

If your laptop can run XP, it can run Win7. Add some ram if you have to.

underscore 10-25-2009 04:33 PM

This isn't for my laptop, it's for a friends. Trying to find RAM for it would be a hassle. And what is with people saying "if it can run XP it can run 7." My crappy old desktop running XP has less RAM than 7 idles with on my laptop so....

SkinnyPupp 10-25-2009 05:19 PM

Windows 7 will "idle with" as much ram as it can. That is part of what makes it so good, the memory management. You can't just look at how much "ram is being used" and use that to determine performance.

underscore 10-25-2009 05:49 PM

gotcha, so it could idle on say 300MB if needed? might toss 7 on my old desktop them for S+G. regardless I still need to find a way to put XP on this laptop.

tgill 10-25-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6653118)
gotcha, so it could idle on say 300MB if needed? might toss 7 on my old desktop them for S+G. regardless I still need to find a way to put XP on this laptop.

the os it self uses just as little as xp (it runs on netbooks with 1gb of ram) however if you have more ram it will fill up and load into memory programs that it notices you use often

underscore 10-25-2009 05:56 PM

brilliant, my desktop only has a measly 512MB :lol

I still need an XP solution for this laptop tho

InvisibleSoul 10-25-2009 11:49 PM

Go check on PirateBay... I found several versions of clean XP SP2 ISOs a couple weeks ago when I needed it.

underscore 10-26-2009 11:25 AM

But will that be any good? I don't want to download it, burn it, and get partway into the install before learning my key is no good.

from what I'm reading on TPB the serial can work for any install but it won't pass the activation, even if it's a generic XP install? so I'll only have 30 days to use it. but if I download the one specific to the brand of laptop it should work?

InvisibleSoul 10-26-2009 11:56 AM

I doubt you'll find one specific to your brand of laptop... but it doesn't have to be. I've used Dell WinXP discs to reinstall Acers before, and the key worked properly... but it'll be hit and miss.

simsimi1004 10-26-2009 12:52 PM

On my desktop, the cd key from the sticker on the back worked with any xp iso i downloaded as long as it was XP Pro.

the cd key thats on the bottom of my ASUS laptop (for vista home prem) works with serveral download versions of vista even on different.

ive even installed mix match OEM.
installed DELL oem vista on to my asus with the cd key from sticker.

it'll probably work... or maybe im super lucky...

Dragon-88 10-26-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6654076)
But will that be any good? I don't want to download it, burn it, and get partway into the install before learning my key is no good.

from what I'm reading on TPB the serial can work for any install but it won't pass the activation, even if it's a generic XP install? so I'll only have 30 days to use it. but if I download the one specific to the brand of laptop it should work?

As for activation, if it does not work when activating online, then just give MS a call. They will ask for the code displayed on your activation screen. tell them you are just doing a refresh, and they will authorize your computer. MS just wants to make sure the cd key isnt being used on more than 1-2 comps.... ( ive done this lots...)

If you really need one, I have a spare OEM Win Xp Pro cd lying around that I can burn you a copy... Works with all OEM CD Keys.

underscore 10-26-2009 05:50 PM

^ gotcha, thank you. and thanks for the offer but I think I'm a bit far away atm (Onterrible)