REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   code 6 engine coolant temp sensor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/595382-code-6-engine-coolant-temp-sensor.html)

neilb33 11-06-2009 07:59 PM

code 6 engine coolant temp sensor

like the title says...finished a engine swap on a 93 accord and this is what is coming up when i jump it.

I thought it was because of an air lock in the system, Ive bled it many differnt ways and still cannot clear the code.

I beileve im not clearing the codes properly..from what ive been told you have to remove a "back up" fuse for coolant and a/c control, you have to do this for 10 seconds and then start it again. i have done this everytime after I have bled the coolant but it still comes up.

was just wondering if anyone here knows somethin i dont. thanks for readin

00EM1 11-06-2009 11:30 PM

Here's how my train of diagnoise would go,

after bleeding the system I would reset the ECU by pulling the negative for ten minutes.

if the code popped up again I would change the sensor since there cheap and reset the ECU again.

after that, try tracing some wires, one of my buddys had a car that wouldnt pass aircare and it turned out the o2 sensor wires were backwards.

and if all else fails pull the bulb and call it a day

lexluthor09 11-07-2009 12:33 AM

that's correct. remove the backup fuse for the ecu. to reset codes.

i agree with everything 00EM1 says except for pulling out the bulb lol.
that will only cause bad fuel consumption and you're just ignoring a problem.

but more than likely its just a bad sensor or disconnected.

neilb33 11-07-2009 11:48 AM

yeah ive tried pulling the negitive cable...also tried connecting the negitive and positive cable to drain any remaing memory out of the ECU to reset it, ive tried a differnt sensor (not brand new)

Is the back up fuse in the engine bay or inside under the kick pannel? and how long does it have to be removed? i was told 10 seconds...
does the car have to have power runnin when you pull it??

Hisnibs 11-08-2009 07:06 PM

Check the wiring between the sensor and the ecu using a multimeter.
There may be a short or broken wire; I had that problem with my CRX last summer.

neilb33 11-08-2009 08:48 PM

yeah, do i test just at the connector that plugs into the sensor? what do i test for? resistance? i cant imagine a wire bein broken, everythings soo very clean.

Hisnibs 11-08-2009 10:12 PM

The simple thing to check is the sensor itself, there should be around 200-400ohms between the pins.

Then see if you have 5volts between the Red/White wire and Ground: If not there is a break between the sensor connector and ECU Pin D13.

Then check to see if you have 5volts between the Red/White wire and the Green/White wire at the temp sensor; If not there is a break in the wire between Green/White and D22.

Hopefully that works for you; It's straight out of the Helms manual.