REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   taking a trip without a credit card (https://www.revscene.net/forums/596691-taking-trip-without-credit-card.html)

Bankai 11-18-2009 05:59 AM

taking a trip without a credit card

anyone know if its possible to take a trip without a credit card? specifically, im concerned about booking a hotel. I know when you book a hotel you have to show them a credit card when you get there. Unfortunately i do not have one but i want to take a trip.
are there other ways around it?

SkinnyPupp 11-18-2009 06:24 AM

Get a credit card first, unless you want to stay in hostels and such.

RFlush 11-18-2009 07:30 AM

Where are you taking your trip? When I stay at hotels, I sometimes get offered to pay the deposit with either cash or by credit card. I sometimes opt for the cash and pay whatever they ask (in HK its like $500-$1000HKD and in America I had to pay a $400USD deposit at the Hyatt).

You dont NEED a credit card, but it will be easier just in case the hotel does not offer you the cash option.

bcrdukes 11-18-2009 08:07 AM

It's best to call the hotel you want to stay at and to ask what your options are.

syee 11-18-2009 03:06 PM

Most of the time (well, at least when we use our travel agent at work) we have to provide a credit card to guarantee the room. If it's prepaid (like if you get the room via Priceline or any of those types of sites), you need a credit card for the incidentals.

It's a lot more convenient to have one if you can get one. I would think that worst case, maybe get a Visa gift card or something similar to work around that requirement? (I wouldn't recommend it though especially if they are going to hold a certain amount on your card and it doesn't have sufficient funds to cover it) Can you get a supplemental card with someone you know? (for example, parents, siblings, very good friends?)

Like bcrdukes mentioned, call the hotel to find out their policy.

6793026 11-19-2009 02:07 PM

serioulsy, my old boss never ever beleived in CC
i really do not know how they can get away by booking a place without a credit card.

it means 1) you cant' book any special deals online 2) each time you use your debit card, a lot of people (bankers) will have access to see where you are using yoru debit card, (it's harder to access a CC detailed list by the bank CSRs).

i never used my debit card now.

J____ 11-19-2009 03:19 PM

go sign up for a credit card, even student cards are easy to get. Or u'll have to carry a shit load of cash and risk the chance of getting it jacked.

syee 11-19-2009 03:34 PM

or try get a supplemental card from your parents. It's way more convenient...

hud 91gt 11-25-2009 09:17 AM

Get one of those debit credit cards deals. Basically you put money in the Visa or Mastercard account, and they give you a "credit Card". Basically just another bank account, but everyone thinks you have a credit card.

syee 11-25-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 6699653)
Get one of those debit credit cards deals. Basically you put money in the Visa or Mastercard account, and they give you a "credit Card". Basically just another bank account, but everyone thinks you have a credit card.

Do they have those here in Canada? I know they have them in the US, but I've never seen one from any of the banks here. The only thing that sucks about those is the "hold" they put on funds in your account (like when you fill up at a gas station, or something similar to that).

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-30-2009 08:06 PM

y not just get a credit card

its simple as pie

urban.boi 12-03-2009 04:00 AM

It's not hard to get a credit card unless you have poor credit rating or under age.
Having one on a trip is more handy than paying cash all the time.
Posted via RS Mobile

brokentelephone 12-05-2009 01:42 AM

Vacation in Iran -- they don't accept credit cards anywhere!

LethalLaw 12-08-2009 12:43 PM

even if you have poor credit why dont you get a secured visa.. goto wherever you bank and ask for one..

You give them $1000-5000 (or whatever you want your limit to be) then they take that put it in a GIC or whatever and give you a CC.