REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   G37 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/596815-g37.html)

alwaysideways 11-19-2009 09:32 AM

G37

Anyone here have one? coupe or sedan? auto or manual...and how do you like it so far? why?

africano 01-06-2010 09:04 AM

My buddy's got a auto coupe, he loves it! His only complaint is the cleaning (it's pearl white). I've driven it, goes REAL good. Go test drive it if your serious.

sash_ak21 01-12-2010 09:52 AM

I don't own one but Im sure you'll get alot of positive feedback from owners, good car.

marc0lishuz 01-12-2010 11:31 AM

I came very close to buying one... G37 S coupe 7AT. Amazing car for the price.

Pros:
- Tons of included tech that other manufacturers will charge you an arm and a leg for (cough BMW 335i cough)
- Sport mode/downshifting is awesome
- Transmission response is very quick and smooth
- Interior amenities are plenty and well-placed
- Power is immediately available on the first 6 gears
- Handling and suspension are very sporty but still comfortable for urban driving
- Infiniti tire replacement warranty for $399 (CHEAP)

Cons:
- Rear seat space is ridiculous (and this is coming from a guy that drives an 06 Civic Si)
- Trunk space is even more ridiculous
- I don't think the car will age as well as the G35 coupe
- Engine is really raspy at WOT (could be good too, depending on your style)
- Seatbelt arms are so feeble
- Poor placement of the navi dial (but you can use voice commands anyways)
- No backup sensors (but you do get backup camera)
- Lack of pockets/storage in the cabin
- Built-in fog lights are fine... although you would expect them to be on the bumper instead

ben_ben125 02-23-2010 08:56 PM

i have one! g37s 2009

ncrx 02-24-2010 08:19 PM

i'd get an oil cooler and possibly uprated rad if u get a g37 / 370z

Super Dipper 02-24-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncrx (Post 6831155)
i'd get an oil cooler and possibly uprated rad if u get a g37 / 370z

you speaking from some sort of experience? please explain your post.

i have a 35 and as someone else mentioned, the 37's body wont age as well as the 35. the front end of the car just looks off. a bumper change takes care of that but you shouldnt have to if ur buying the car new. I almost traded my 35 in for a 37 but opted not to and im happier in the end.

I do wish i had the 37 interior. they really did a nice job with the later model interiors.

but the 4 wheel steer is a bit of a concern when it starts to act up or you start looking for aftermarket suspension.

The hubs are slight differernt than the older cars which makes wheel options a bit more of a pain in the ass.

on the upside though, if you are modding the car, GTM has already released a twin turbo kit that is putting out some nice numbers on the stock motor.

ncrx 02-24-2010 09:50 PM

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...mp-issues.aspx

known issue on 370z/g37 motors, overheating.. well getting the oil so hot it'll cause probs

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...The-Truth.aspx

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-25-2010 09:12 AM

ya 35 and 37's trunk size is ridiculouslly....small

Super Dipper 02-25-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncrx (Post 6831331)
http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...mp-issues.aspx

known issue on 370z/g37 motors, overheating.. well getting the oil so hot it'll cause probs

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...The-Truth.aspx

ill be damned. never heard of this before. thx for the link and info. :thumbsup:

XtC-604 02-25-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc0lishuz (Post 6766802)
I came very close to buying one... G37 S coupe 7AT. Amazing car for the price.

Pros:
- Tons of included tech that other manufacturers will charge you an arm and a leg for (cough BMW 335i cough)
- Sport mode/downshifting is awesome
- Transmission response is very quick and smooth
- Interior amenities are plenty and well-placed
- Power is immediately available on the first 6 gears
- Handling and suspension are very sporty but still comfortable for urban driving
- Infiniti tire replacement warranty for $399 (CHEAP)

Cons:
- Rear seat space is ridiculous (and this is coming from a guy that drives an 06 Civic Si)
- Trunk space is even more ridiculous
- I don't think the car will age as well as the G35 coupe
- Engine is really raspy at WOT (could be good too, depending on your style)
- Seatbelt arms are so feeble
- Poor placement of the navi dial (but you can use voice commands anyways)
- No backup sensors (but you do get backup camera)
- Lack of pockets/storage in the cabin
- Built-in fog lights are fine... although you would expect them to be on the bumper instead

The 335i is alot more car :D , it outhandles, outlaps last the E46 M3s. It is also twin turbocharged german car, meaning a nice chip will give it a shitkick in power for dirt cheap.

Super Dipper 02-25-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6832700)
The 335i is alot more car :D , it outhandles, outlaps last the E46 M3s. It is also twin turbocharged german car, meaning a nice chip will give it a shitkick in power for dirt cheap.

ya that chip will work great until it over boosts those tiny little turbos and they self destruct and cause a whole lot of other engine problems.

awesome cars, my buddy's mom just picked up a 2010 135i (same power plant) and it is one wicked handling and super quick car, but leave it stock. The horror stories on the bimmer forums about ppl upping the power on those motors stock with the stock turbos and shit going south with them is unreal.

a couple of stories that were posted lead to guys having to replace just the turbos but since they are a single cast unit as a manifold/turbo/dp the costs are ludicrous.

m4k4v4li 02-25-2010 11:39 PM

ive had my G for about 2 years and I still love it to death

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-26-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 6832929)
ya that chip will work great until it over boosts those tiny little turbos and they self destruct and cause a whole lot of other engine problems.

awesome cars, my buddy's mom just picked up a 2010 135i (same power plant) and it is one wicked handling and super quick car, but leave it stock. The horror stories on the bimmer forums about ppl upping the power on those motors stock with the stock turbos and shit going south with them is unreal.

a couple of stories that were posted lead to guys having to replace just the turbos but since they are a single cast unit as a manifold/turbo/dp the costs are ludicrous.

shit thought chipping those thing with minor mods can still keep them fairly reliable...guess not

:( im disappointed

alwaysideways 02-26-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression that if you went with the Dinan upgrades they provide the same as manufactures warranty? Anyways...ya basically the 335 and the G37 (sedans) were the cars I was looking at. Doesnt look like I'm getting either as we decided the money is better spend on the wifes college tuition...we'll see whats available in a few years :)

b-dub 03-04-2010 02:14 AM

^^
The manufacturer doesn't cover it, if anything goes wrong, Dinan essentially pays for it.

chris_89T 04-25-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

I agree with what you say on the G35 VS G37. My uncle had both, 05 5AT and 08 7AT, i drove both quite a bit. IMO i perfer the sound of the G35, the G37 is a little too raspy for me. All minor stuff. The one thing im not a big fan of is the downshift rev matching, My 05 is much smoother at it, same with my uncles 05 coupe. His G37 is kinda rough and it sounds like something minor but its pretty annoying. Pedal is kinda touchy, even after driving it for a week straight it would still catch me off guard at times.

The 335I is a great car though. I do read about quite a few stories about the turbo's failing, but on the other hand, look at how many 335's have reflashes done who have had zero problems compared to the ones who dont. People post and complain about problems, most dont post every 10,000kms about how theyre turbos are still good. Perhaps the people who have had turbo issues are the ones who beat the shit out of the car then park it and turn it off. Start the car in the morning, start beating the crap out of it again and repear the process. Im sure that combined with BMWs rediculous 15,000 mile oil change interval does not help no matter how good your oil is.