REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Operation Red Nose (https://www.revscene.net/forums/597593-operation-red-nose.html)

The_AK 11-24-2009 11:34 PM

Operation Red Nose

Was looking at Jlenko's sig, has anyone used this service before? Kinda curious about it and wondering if any people here had experience with this.

http://www.operationnezrouge.com

jlenko 11-24-2009 11:36 PM

Funny, I just made a thread about it :)

I volunteer with it on the North Shore every year. It's a very worthwhile service... gets your car home for free (although we appreciate donations, which go towards Rotary Club programs...).

And you don't have to worry about killing someone out there... or wrecking your nice car... or losing your licence, job, etc.

The_AK 11-24-2009 11:46 PM

ahh just missed it, had the window open for a while, then finally scrolled down and checked out the link in your sig,

that aside,
will i get picked up from anywhere? or only in the locations listed on the website? for example if i'm in downtown with my car, will someone pick me up and drive me to delta or surrey?
or, for example, would I need to be in Surrey to get driven somewhere else in Surrey?

Inaii 11-24-2009 11:47 PM

Um, just out of curiosity, but what about the people who drives 2-seater cars? If it's a team of 3, does that mean they're SOL? And isn't that sort of discriminatory?

Edit: just to clarify, I think this is an awesome idea and I understand the importance or more than one person in the car. I just think its sucks (mainly because my car is only 2 seats lol). Also I'll pass this on to a few friends :D

jlenko 11-25-2009 10:21 AM

Well... I volunteer with the North Shore crew, so we usually work just in North and West Vancouver, but there were two calls last year to head downtown (one off Robson, one off Pacific) to bring people back to North Van. Of course we went and got them...

If you live in Surrey... you might want to call the Surrey Red Nose office and check with them before you head out... night of, that is. Because it's all run by volunteers, it's not open 24/7. Or try calling this Friday night (I think that's when Surrey is starting as well).

We ran into a 2-seater problem last year. Personally, I would NEVER turn down helping someone get home safely. So yes, we did help him get home. The alternative is just too much of a risk, and I wouldn't strand someone like that. Personally, I have no problem being the only one in the car with the owner. Some volunteers aren't as comfortable with that scenario as others however...

Inaii 11-25-2009 03:42 PM

Like I said, I can understand why they would want a team, solely for the safety factor. I think it's a great program and I hope a lot of people use it. I was just curious what happens in that sort of situation.

Do the volunteers get picked up after they drop someone off?

tiger_handheld 11-25-2009 05:24 PM

so if my christmas party is in downtown vancouver, but i live in surrey. who would i call?
i dont like taking transit at night, too many crack heads at surrey central...
and i dont think $50+ taxi fare is worth it...

jlenko 11-25-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6700169)
Do the volunteers get picked up after they drop someone off?

Yup.. each team has three (though sometimes just two) people to it. The third person (or second and third, if it's a two-seater) follows in another car. The car is usually their own, but sometimes is a loaner from a dealership or ICBC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 6700317)
so if my christmas party is in downtown vancouver, but i live in surrey. who would i call?

I would call Surrey first. It would up to a Surrey team to come to downtown Vancouver and pick you up with your car, and drive you back to Surrey.

I know there are other services aside from Operation Red Nose.. but ORN is the only one I know of that is by donation.