REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   question on center bore sizes (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598027-question-center-bore-sizes.html)

zephyrantes 11-29-2009 10:17 AM

question on center bore sizes

mods: sorry if I should be on another thread.

hey guys, I guess this is sort of a continuation of my previous thread on the "prelude rims on mazda 3". But I just figure that it might be worth starting a new thread for inquiring minds.

How critical is the center bore size? What if you do put on a wheel that has a BIGGER center bore? Is it detrimental?

For most domestic/japanese cars using wheel STUDS, I don't see it being an issue. So would I be safe in putting on a wheel with a slightly bigger center bore?

I know that cars using WHEEL BOLTS would be an issue without hubcentric rings.

!SG 11-29-2009 10:39 AM

it doesnt sit completely centered and thus u may get a wobble feel when ur driving down the road.

a lot of ppl say they are just careful to center the wheel when they mount them.

most aftermarket wheels, unless they are custom, will come with a center bore (hub centric) different name for same thing, of 73mm. this means it will fit just about every application. what you want to do is pick up a set of hub centric rings. they are a spacer to fill the difference in sizing of ur stock bore size, to the wheel bore size.

is it important? for me, i rather spend the 30 bucks for a set of 4 rings than to get that constant annoying wobble when driving.

yiujo 12-03-2009 01:03 AM

^^agreed. most OD are 72.62 and 73.1 but lots of wheels like enkei (race line) are starting at 75 now. so it's safe to say there are no more standard OD.

ilvtofu 12-05-2010 07:11 PM

Don't want to start new thread
Are there any shops in vancouver that can drill a larger center bore? ie. OEM wheels have small center bore, car has larger center bore

No ones got a lathe?

marksport 12-06-2010 10:04 PM

Go to a wheel shop like NuBrite in Port Kells, Panther in Surrey or Green's Automotive in east Richmond. They will be able to it quicker since they deal with wheels and have the setup to machine out the bores. Had a friend do that to his Dodge Ram wheels to fit an older 4x4. Most general machine shops don't have the setup and will add to the cost, unless you can get it done for free. As for the hub bore, if the wheel is not hubcentric, it puts the load of the car on the studs instead. This can lead to accelerated wear and breaking/shearing of the studs, more so on heavier cars than say a miata.