REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Received a Summons (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598677-received-summons.html)

rexsomnii 12-04-2009 05:40 PM

Received a Summons

I just received a notice of Summons.

What should I do ?

the description is this:

"ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 8,2009
BEING THE OWNER OF A MOTOR VEHICLE BEARING B.C
LICENCE NO. xxx xxx DID CAUSE OR PERMIT SAID VEHICLE TO
STOP WITHIN 6 METRES OF THE APPROACH SIDE OF A STOP
SIGN IN E/S 1400 CAROLINA ST. CONTRARY TO THE FORM OF
THE ENACTMENT IN SUCH CASE MADE AND PROVIDED"

What does that mean ?

Voluntary payment : 100.00

Do i have to pay that ?

There's more to it.

I have to appear before a justice on Feb 5th 2010

Please help.

jackmeister 12-04-2009 06:07 PM

you probably didnt pay a city by-law ticket and disregarded the reminder letter

zulutango 12-04-2009 08:33 PM

Ignore the summons and they come with a warrant, probably unendorsed.

rexsomnii 12-04-2009 10:18 PM

what does all that mean ? did i park wrong or did not stop for a stop sign?

its not even clear ! ON or ABOUT, its not clear.

thanks for your replies.

Blinky 12-04-2009 11:25 PM

zulu, your answer is somewhat cryptic.

I'm not a peace officer ddark, but it sounds like a ticket for parking too close to a stop sign. I think you can just pay the fine and move on, but I'd suggest looking for a phone number or contact number on the notice to call up and inquire.

rexsomnii 12-05-2009 01:11 AM

Thanks Blinky,

if it was a ticket for a violation that i parked too close to the stop sign, shouldn't i have received a ticket on the spot?

As for the last sentence of the paragraph, " contrary to the form of the enactment in such case made and provided. "

does that mean that i have been ratted out by some neighbor or person ?

winson604 12-05-2009 07:44 AM

Don't be scard by a summons because it's nothing. I get calls every day from people who received a summons freaking out because the language suggests that they need to go to court. NO! read the back it should state somewhere that this is not a court date. All a summons is is a final reminder that the date listed on there is the last day in which you can choose to dispute your ticket.

Also no you wouldn't always receive a ticket on the spot. There are reasons why a Parking Enforcement officer wouldn't approach you and serve you the ticket mainly because of safety reasons but of course there are many other possibilities as well.

skidmark 12-05-2009 07:45 AM

It is a bylaw ticket for parking too close to a stop sign. You should have found a copy of it under your wiper on return to the vehicle. (These sorts of things happen when some jerk thinks it's funny to take the ticket off for you and put it on another car or dump it in the garbage in addition to you ignoring it.)

"Contrary to the form of the enactment in such case made and provided" is a fancy way of saying "against the law."

zulutango 12-06-2009 07:40 AM

No intention to be cyptic but when someone tells you they got a summons and asks what could happen...that's how I answer. He even says he must go before a JP...doesn't sound like a parking lot issued ticket. Ignore a summons and a warrant for your arrest is issued. Some Municipal bylaw tickets issue summons and unendorsed ( bucks or body) warrants if the court process is ignored. I'm not familiar with all Municiple bylaw processes.... but a summons issued by a court requires you to go to that court. Ignore them at your peril. If the OP had been more descriptive.

Five-Oh 12-06-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddark666 (Post 6713852)
I just received a notice of Summons.

What should I do ?

the description is this:

What does that mean ?

Voluntary payment : 100.00

Do i have to pay that ?

There's more to it.

I have to appear before a justice on Feb 5th 2010

Please help.

From what I have read here the simplest translation into what the average person can understand is:

On October 8, 2009 you parked within 6 meters of a stop sign on the 1400 block of Carolina Street, which violates the city bylaw. You have a court date on Feb 5th, 2010 to dispute that allegation. Should you choose not to dispute, you can pay the $100 fine anytime before you court date and that will be the end of it. If you do not show up to that court date, there will be an arrest warrant issued for you.

I'm convinced that lawyers write stuff like this just so they can feel smart because most people don't know what they are talking about. If you have ever read any parts of the Criminal Code of Canada you would agree with me because I'm pretty sure the lawyers who wrote that sat there with a thesaurus while they were writing it and just put in the most confusing words they could find.

LeanNsupreme 12-07-2009 02:24 AM

Amusing.^^

zulutango 12-07-2009 06:30 AM

Thesaurus...isn't that the extinct dinosaur that died because of terminal rectal infection? :) I know...early Monday morning thing...

skidmark 12-07-2009 12:19 PM

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...

racerman88 12-12-2009 11:40 AM

if you pay for the ticket, you do not have to appear before a JJP.
If you were not there at all and have proof, book the ticket for court and bring in the proof like a reciept for a store or restaurant.

Soundy 12-12-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6716516)
I'm convinced that lawyers write stuff like this just so they can feel smart because most people don't know what they are talking about. If you have ever read any parts of the Criminal Code of Canada you would agree with me because I'm pretty sure the lawyers who wrote that sat there with a thesaurus while they were writing it and just put in the most confusing words they could find.

That, or they were just on speed when they came up with it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6716713)
Thesaurus...isn't that the extinct dinosaur that died because of terminal rectal infection? :) I know...early Monday morning thing...

"What's another word for 'thesaurus'?" - Steven Wright

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6717084)
99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...

:IDL

zulutango 12-12-2009 09:27 PM

"If you were not there at all and have proof, book the ticket for court and bring in the proof like a reciept for a store or restaurant. "

Better make sure you subpoena the person who issued you the receipt and that they bring proof that they issued it to you at that time and date, otherwise it is heresay evidence and not admissible. You cannot just produce a piece of paper. They will have to testify in court. They can expect to be cross examined on how they remember the cirumstances in detail 18 months later. Crown will be looking for holes in their evidence and they can expect some serious cross examination.

rexsomnii 12-15-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6716516)
From what I have read here the simplest translation into what the average person can understand is:

On October 8, 2009 you parked within 6 meters of a stop sign on the 1400 block of Carolina Street, which violates the city bylaw. You have a court date on Feb 5th, 2010 to dispute that allegation. Should you choose not to dispute, you can pay the $100 fine anytime before you court date and that will be the end of it. If you do not show up to that court date, there will be an arrest warrant issued for you.

Thanks for all your answers and inputs!

I just paid the fine. =.="