REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #26
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
[sarcasm]yes, the falken 615s and the kumho v710s suck shit in snow, like WTF! next time im just gonna stick to micky's[/sarcasm]
Advertisement

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMOTORS View Post
This man is 100% Correct.
I call them 'noseason' tires.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #28
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
general uhp
are those snows or all season
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #29
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I had ze912s last winter and I got stuck many times and slid down the tiniest of hills while stopped, those were some very scary times, thank god I made it out alive and even without a scratch on my car. After that I learned that high perf all seasons are no good in winter and that winter tires rock.

I'm running crappy stock conti contacts on my current car. I plan on running them for a while and then grabbing some new wheels with general exclaim UHPs, I will def not be running those in winter so I will run the contis until they need replacing and them grab some real winter tires, maybe blizzaks.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
General exclaim uhp is a high perf all season like the ze912s but it is known to perform even better. Some sites call it a summer tire because it really should not be driven in winter. They are a great tire with a great rep and amazingly low price tag.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #31
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I currently have toyo proxes 4 UHP all season tires. I was advised that General UHP all season tires were better. Can anyone confirm this? Im getting quoted $175 for the proxe 4's and $138 for the generals
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #32

anyone?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #33

I haven't used either but I have heard they are similar and both fall into the same best bang for buck all season category along with the ziex 912s. Hit up 1010tires and tirerack for some reviews. That's a pretty good price on the Exclaims, what tire size you running?

Also the exclaims have a higher tread rating than the proxes, I wonder how accurate it is?

Last edited by skholla; 12-14-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
all season
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
HELP ME PLS!!!

im using brand new falken ze512 right now with a bit of snow and grips pretty good in the snow. my abs didn't kick in as much

Last edited by alex.w *//; 12-14-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
im using brand new falken ze512 right now with a bit of snow and grips pretty good in the snow. my abs didn't kick in as much when i was running bridgestone re92s
alex-w, i wish you good luck with the ziex 512 this winter, for your safety i hope it doesnt snow too much. last winter i was running ziex 912s and had numerous near death experiences, ask mugen-evolution, i think he had similar experiences, never again will i run uhp all seasons in the winter.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #37
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
None are any good in snow, snow tires are good in snow, thats it, thats all.
+1

Quote:
we have the hydroedge on the avalon

great traction in rain and dry. no hydroplane at all

in the snow it aint bad

better than Falken 512 , 912, and kumho ASX imo
what are u doing with T-rated tires on a car designed for H or V-rated from the factory anyways?
yiujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
I haven't used either but I have heard they are similar and both fall into the same best bang for buck all season category along with the ziex 912s. Hit up 1010tires and tirerack for some reviews. That's a pretty good price on the Exclaims, what tire size you running?

Also the exclaims have a higher tread rating than the proxes, I wonder how accurate it is?
215/45/17.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #39

i need 235/50-18's... but is that regular price or a hook up? pm me the details if you can, thx!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #40
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
T's limit is 120mph.. you dont' honestly go to that high of a speed for daily driving.

Cars are not designed for one specific ratings, they are designed for sizes.. eg in locations like Paris, Tokyo, HK etc. majority of cars won't even use up to 120mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiujo View Post
+1

what are u doing with T-rated tires on a car designed for H or V-rated from the factory anyways?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #41
I STILL don't get it

Anyone heard of Continental Contiextreme contact DWS.. or something like it -_-

It's got pretty good reviews on tirerack.. decent price too.

Thoughts?
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lude2000 View Post
I'm looking to get some new all season tires for my prelude (205/50R16). Just wondering if anyone have some good recommendations?

Looking for something that is fairly decent in some light snow as well.

Thanks in advance.
kumho ecsta asx and if you see snow pull over and put you pressure to 30psi in front. its proven.
38genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

pirelli p4, p5, p6

are awesome all season tires
Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 AM   #44
RS controls my life!

General uhps are all seasons but there really meant for the summer. they were designed for more as a high performance summer tire even tho they have the m+s branding bs. also owned by Continental i think...
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #45

^
exactly
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
T's limit is 120mph.. you dont' honestly go to that high of a speed for daily driving.

Cars are not designed for one specific ratings, they are designed for sizes.. eg in locations like Paris, Tokyo, HK etc. majority of cars won't even use up to 120mph.
if i have a nickel for every time someone says "u won't be daily driving that fast" or something along the lines, i'd be as rich and dirty as tiger woods.

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=tires_general

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.dos

joking aside, u are partially correct that nobody in their right mind would drive that fast in a V-rating but, there are many other things to consider. braking performance in both wet and dry conditions and emergency avoidance maneuvers will be affected. it's not uncommon to see a difference of 20 feet of braking distance between a T and V rating. that can mean the difference between plowing into a child or car and stopping safely in time. so by going with a lower speed rating, u just destroyed low speed driveability as well. of course it's not illegal to put on a lower speed rated tire since winter tires dictates a softer compound the lower the speed rating. but who the hell wants to drive alongside a potential accident waiting to happen?
yiujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #47
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The thing is none of your links says a manufacturer specifies / designed a car to use a specific tire rating. Especially considering NA cars have usually lower tire ratings (along with different suspension settings) than in Europe due speed laws and road settings. I have seen size specifications for cars in technical manual, but haven't seen one that dictates speed ratings. There are even instances that same model of cars at dealership comes with tires of different ratings, because of the different batches during the manufacturing process. If you look at BMWs some comes with H, some comes with U.

So what you are saying is a T rated tire will stop shorter than a U rated tire at a statistically significant manner assuming every other factor is held constant? I would like to see some SAE analysis / articles on it. I think if you pick a Q there will probably be a huge difference vs a V rated but not ones that are just a step below or above.

In all honesty, I pick features and tire compounds over speed ratings. However good thing is speed rating differences usually only translate to about $10 per tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiujo View Post
if i have a nickel for every time someone says "u won't be daily driving that fast" or something along the lines, i'd be as rich and dirty as tiger woods.

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=tires_general

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.dos

joking aside, u are partially correct that nobody in their right mind would drive that fast in a V-rating but, there are many other things to consider. braking performance in both wet and dry conditions and emergency avoidance maneuvers will be affected. it's not uncommon to see a difference of 20 feet of braking distance between a T and V rating. that can mean the difference between plowing into a child or car and stopping safely in time. so by going with a lower speed rating, u just destroyed low speed driveability as well. of course it's not illegal to put on a lower speed rated tire since winter tires dictates a softer compound the lower the speed rating. but who the hell wants to drive alongside a potential accident waiting to happen?

Last edited by godwin; 12-19-2009 at 06:35 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #48

anyone have or tried hankook ventus V4 UHP tires? they're supposidly just as good as toyo proxes 4 and general exclaims.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #49

Those are new right? Are they similar to the Kumho Ecsta SPT?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
Those are new right? Are they similar to the Kumho Ecsta SPT?
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm not sure if they are new but they're got awesome reviews