REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Looking for a wheel tool locally to borrow or buy... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598858-looking-wheel-tool-locally-borrow-buy.html)

gracefallen 12-06-2009 08:07 PM

Looking for a wheel tool locally to borrow or buy...

Ok this sounds a little silly, but I thought I'd try locally anyhow.

I bought a Set of 5 spoke Modena wheels for my car, and they're 3 piece. I want to take them apart but I need a tool specific for those bolts. They look a lot like BBS or OZ bolts, but never having even heard of these I don't know if it'll work or where to find that tool either! I'm hoping someone can help me here. I would like to borrow a tool to take them apart or buy one, and of course I would compensate for the borrowing. :)

wheels look like this, except still assembled (this is not my photo):
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...6/DSCN4529.jpg

any help is appreciated!! I'm also looking for one more clip and centre decal dealie.

-Heather
Posted via RS Mobile

snootworks 12-08-2009 01:45 PM

I'm pretty sure the BBS RS/RM bolts are just 12-point heads, so the appropriate 12-point socket should work fine.

NashMan 12-08-2009 03:39 PM

that is correct

gracefallen 12-09-2009 10:08 PM

Alright, I guess I'll take a wheel with me one day and see what I can find! Thanks team!

I just thought maybe they were something specific, and before I go tearing into a set of mint 3pc wheels I should consult someone with potentially more knowledge. Altho, I guess there's only one way to learn!

NashMan 12-10-2009 08:45 AM

just remmber to use thick greas or silcone when putting them bach togehter and give the clamps area a nice clean

have fun heather

sixthgear 12-10-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashMan (Post 6721568)
just remmber to use thick greas or silcone when putting them bach togehter and give the clamps area a nice clean

have fun heather

And tq the bolts back on in the correct pattern.

snootworks 12-10-2009 03:17 PM

I'm sure tons of people put some sort of sealant between the shells when reassembling 3-piece wheels, but I was taught to assemble the shell halves "dry" after throughly cleaning any old gunk, torquing to spec in an even pattern, and then sealing the seam on the inside of the wheel.

92SIvic 12-10-2009 07:08 PM

i was lead to believe a dry torque gives an 'in-accurate' torque reading due to friction. if you are going to do it dry, dont do a slow tight you need a high velocity to get your friction coefficent down.

NashMan 12-10-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snootworks (Post 6722032)
I'm sure tons of people put some sort of sealant between the shells when reassembling 3-piece wheels, but I was taught to assemble the shell halves "dry" after throughly cleaning any old gunk, torquing to spec in an even pattern, and then sealing the seam on the inside of the wheel.

i was told eather do it dry or heavy greas

then silcoen the seam eather way works i used greas befor works liek charm

sixthgear 12-10-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92SIvic (Post 6722354)
i was lead to believe a dry torque gives an 'in-accurate' torque reading due to friction. if you are going to do it dry, dont do a slow tight you need a high velocity to get your friction coefficent down.

I am 99% sure he is talking about the surface between the flange and the hub and not the bolts.

gracefallen 12-13-2009 04:23 PM

Clearly I have some more research to do, including finding a torque pattern/spec for a 40-bolt wheel.

I would obviously clean them up while apart. I don't want to take them apart, but I want to paint the centres and I feel the only way to do it right is to take them apart.

sixthgear 12-13-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracefallen (Post 6726224)
Clearly I have some more research to do, including finding a torque pattern/spec for a 40-bolt wheel.

I would obviously clean them up while apart. I don't want to take them apart, but I want to paint the centres and I feel the only way to do it right is to take them apart.

Just do it in a star pattern.