REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   loose caliper (https://www.revscene.net/forums/599547-loose-caliper.html)

Jackwimmer 12-13-2009 03:43 PM

loose caliper

hey guys, for about a month i kept hearing some annoying little squeak on the right side of my car, i thought it was the right rear
ive already changed all my brakes/calipers/rotors, even the damn e-brake cable lmao
today my mom was driving the car and she said there was some unbearable noise and i drove the car for like 5 seconds to hear this loud noise
turns out the caliper and rim have come into a slight contact, and i could see a nice thin scratch in the rim
i thought maybe the rim was damaged from a flat before and has now come into contact with the caliper, but after a quick inspection, i can push the caliper with my finger back to original place, but it's evident that the the top part of the front right caliper has come loose, the bottom is very firm though

my question is, is this just a bolt thats come off?
im starting to think that this was the little squeak ive been hearing that has come and gone for the last little while but mechanics were unable to diagnose it
it would be stupid if i paid 150 bucks just to tow the car to a shop for a bolt...im wondering if a decent mechanic can just come to my place and just lift the car/take the wheel out and put a new bolt in

!SG 12-13-2009 06:18 PM

id quickly take the wheel off and inspect it for sure!

the caliper is suppose to slide perpendicular to the rotor. so if its off angle like that, i would definately see whats going on. loose bolt, seized caliper, uneven wear...

Jackwimmer 12-13-2009 06:23 PM

hey sg thanks for the quick reply
ya i got some mechanic guy to come over tmrw to see whats wrong with it
i hope its nothing serious and just a loose bolt that was making the noise...the caliper and stuff are all relatively new so :(
worst case scenario, ill have to tow it to the shop and spend like 100+ bucks on towing fees LOL

LenovoTurbo 12-13-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackwimmer (Post 6726183)
hey guys, for about a month i kept hearing some annoying little squeak on the right side of my car, i thought it was the right rear
ive already changed all my brakes/calipers/rotors, even the damn e-brake cable lmao
today my mom was driving the car and she said there was some unbearable noise and i drove the car for like 5 seconds to hear this loud noise
turns out the caliper and rim have come into a slight contact, and i could see a nice thin scratch in the rim
i thought maybe the rim was damaged from a flat before and has now come into contact with the caliper, but after a quick inspection, i can push the caliper with my finger back to original place, but it's evident that the the top part of the front right caliper has come loose, the bottom is very firm though

im starting to think that this was the little squeak ive been hearing that has come and gone for the last little while but mechanics were unable to diagnose it
it would be stupid if i paid 150 bucks just to tow the car to a shop for a bolt...im wondering if a decent mechanic can just come to my place and just lift the car/take the wheel out and put a new bolt in

Take the wheel off yourself and see if the caliper bolt is on there or not first. If it's missing, go to dealer and get the bolt for it. It's simple.

If the bolt is broken and the stud is still in the caliper holder then, you may need to take to a shop.

But yea, just take the wheel off and check it out first.

38genesis 12-16-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackwimmer (Post 6726183)

if you dont want to spend $ on towing then spend few bucks on 5mm spacers.

Jackwimmer 12-16-2009 08:41 PM

oh it really just was a loose bolt
the sound i was talking about is gone! thank god

Walcott 01-06-2010 11:25 PM

Remove brake carrier from the wheel bearing housing and rotor to be sure you can gain direct access to the brake carrier mounting bolts. Acquire the correct metric tap, probably 5 or 6 mm, you maintenance manual may give you a clue.