REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Replacing only 2 tires? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/599891-replacing-only-2-tires.html)

Blah_Teggie 12-16-2009 05:02 PM

Replacing only 2 tires?

My car needs new tires and I'm trying to save myself a few hundred bucks here. Has anybody tried replacing only 2 tires? I was thinking of keeping 2 tires with the most tread left and putting them in the rear since it's a FWD. Will this work? I know I'm better off replacing all 4 but like I said, I'm trying to save some money esp with the holidays around the corner. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Qmx323 12-16-2009 06:31 PM

are u putting all seasons in the back and snows in the front? or new all seasons in the front as well?

doesn't matter fwd or rwd, you want traction in ALL 4 wheels at all times.

38genesis 12-16-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie (Post 6730981)
My car needs new tires and I'm trying to save myself a few hundred bucks here. Has anybody tried replacing only 2 tires? I was thinking of keeping 2 tires with the most tread left and putting them in the rear since it's a FWD. Will this work? I know I'm better off replacing all 4 but like I said, I'm trying to save some money esp with the holidays around the corner. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2 brand new all season tires in front is good enough coz it wont be much snow this year. lol

Blah_Teggie 12-17-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 6731105)
are u putting all seasons in the back and snows in the front? or new all seasons in the front as well?

doesn't matter fwd or rwd, you want traction in ALL 4 wheels at all times.

It will be all seasons front and back. I know it won't be as good, but like I said, I'm cheap. I will most likely replace all 4

c32 12-17-2009 06:16 PM

i replaced fronts only befor on my 2.2cl fwd.. just because it was slipping in rain when i gased it.. but the rears wernt completely bald

!SG 12-17-2009 07:48 PM

yup, better to replace in pairs or all of them.

some cars have a pair wear out faster.

Mugen EvOlutioN 12-17-2009 08:53 PM

put two new ones in the front

alex.w *// 12-20-2009 06:27 PM

technically most shops are not allowed to mount 2 snow tires anymore

has to be 4

Rich Sandor 12-20-2009 11:36 PM

if you wanna save money, you can buy nearly-new used tires on craigslist for pennies on the dollar. my last few sets were from craigslist and ebay. just make sure they aren't damaged before you hand over the money.