REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   odd Traction Control activation on Caddy STS (https://www.revscene.net/forums/600230-odd-traction-control-activation-caddy-sts.html)

carfreek 12-20-2009 10:14 AM

odd Traction Control activation on Caddy STS

Hi
1st off I'm sooo happy to be back home on the West Coast!! We're here for 2 weeks to spend the holidays with family. My dad died a few years back and I had to go and deal with things on the prairies for my mother. Our finances ran out and I had to take a welding job in Alberta... An aweful place to live, especially since I was born here in the 604!!

Ok here's my problem:
We've got a 1993 Cadillac STS. We have had no problems with the car until recently when the Traction Control will activate randomly and on dry pavement and we cannot move the car till we put it into reverse, then back into drive. After we select reverse and shift back into drive it drives normal. This can be dangerous for my wife as this is her car. What can I do to make that car safe for her again again?
I suppose as a worst case scenario I could disconnect the traction control wires/fuse and run it that way but that's not really my style. I'd like to fix it properly.

We're moving back here in the new year, I am a heavy duty mechanic and welder so I have no problem replacing/wrenching on her car. You'll soon be seeing posts/pics of cars I'll be sellin too once we've moved all our stuff and my full tool set home to the 604... I LOVE the Nissan Zs, Rxs, WRXs, Skylines and more!!
Thanks you guys for any tips you might have.
Merry Christmas!
George Loyie aka Carfreek

SpuGen 12-20-2009 08:32 PM

Check to see if the fuse is dead first, then check the lines.
If it's all fine and looks good, check the traction control lines. I'm assuming it's run by hydraulics through your brakes?

There should be a bleeder screw on the actuator in the engine bay, and possibly one on the calipers. It's probably just air in the lines or really old fluid.

At least this is how I fixed it on my Lexus. But I broke it again by accident unrelated to the maintenance of it lol

godwin 12-21-2009 01:42 AM

If the traction control fuse is blown I don't think the traction control will come on.

Since the car is a 93, I assume Cadillac would have some kind of rudimentary check system (ie blinking light on dash boards to display error codes). See if you can read the error control first.

My bet is one or both signal generators and the pick ups are dirty, giving error signals to the brain to interpret.

If worse come to worse, ie the brain is fried.. just disable the traction control via the fuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 6736725)
Check to see if the fuse is dead first, then check the lines.
If it's all fine and looks good, check the traction control lines. I'm assuming it's run by hydraulics through your brakes?

There should be a bleeder screw on the actuator in the engine bay, and possibly one on the calipers. It's probably just air in the lines or really old fluid.

At least this is how I fixed it on my Lexus. But I broke it again by accident unrelated to the maintenance of it lol

Cman333 12-23-2009 02:21 PM

Quickest thing to check is the fuses. Fuses sometimes look blown but are still able to conduct and vice versa. Fuses that look fine are actually blown. Seen it many times in my industry.Slim chance, but it's the easiest thing to check for.

But this issue really doesn't sound like a fuse issue.