REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Hyundai randomly dies (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601172-hyundai-randomly-dies.html)

Liquid_o2 12-30-2009 03:52 PM

Hyundai randomly dies

Ok so my moms car is driving me nuts, and I am trying to figure out what it could be that is causing the problems.

It is a 2000 Elantra (auto), and sometimes when she is driving it just randomly dies, it doesn't sputter or anything, the engine completely dies. Then she has to wait at least 10 minutes before it will start up again.

The odd thing is that when she tries to re-start it sometimes, it doesn't turn over AT all. All the electronics/radio etc. come on, but the engine doesn't do a thing when you turn the key in the ignition.

It also does not start sometimes when the engine is cold as well. Again, doesn't turn over, it is like you aren't even turning the key in the ignition, nothing. Then you wait 10-20 minutes and it starts PERFECTLY.

She took it to a mechanic and the only thing he found was a small leak in the fuel line I believe, which was fixed, but the problem has persisted. The starter has also been replaced recently.

My thoughts are that it could possibly be the crank sensor, MAF sensor or something with the ICM. Also the car has an aftermarket immobilizer and maybe it is messed up and cutting power to the car/not letting it start.

Any thoughts, ideas are welcome at this point.

Hickman 12-30-2009 04:28 PM

step one, rip out the aftermarket alarm/immoblizer

IF the probeem persists after that (i dont think it will) look at coil packs overheating, map/maf sensors and maybe crank/cam sensors. you are on the right trace but thoes after market immobilixers and alarms after a few years (if they are a not top of th line one) usally go and do all sorts of random shit. id say start there IMO.

Philly74 12-30-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6748631)
step one, rip out the aftermarket alarm/immoblizer

IF the probeem persists after that (i dont think it will) look at coil packs overheating, map/maf sensors and maybe crank/cam sensors. you are on the right trace but thoes after market immobilixers and alarms after a few years (if they are a not top of th line one) usally go and do all sorts of random shit. id say start there IMO.

interesting, didnt know aftermarket low end immoblizer would do that but i did had a friend who blame all his engine problems to the viper immoblizer.

lexluthor09 12-30-2009 07:23 PM

I'm going to agree with taking out that aftermarket immobilizer. That seems to be affecting the "turning on" problem you're talking about.

Crank/Map/Cam Sensors will still allow the engine to turn when faulty. It may have a hard time actually starting but it'll turn the engine. So yeah start with the immobilizer.

Preemo 03-22-2010 08:15 AM

Very very interesting. I have a 5 year old Audiovox aftermarket alarm system on my Accord. And it does most of the same things the OP stated. Except it doesn't die as often in the middle of the road. It's happened maybe like ... twice over the last 6 months at the most random times. Car won't start AFTER turning the car off right away. It chugs and all the electronics are on wait 5 minutes and teh car starts perfectly.

How does one ... disable the alarm system? It was installed by a trusted BestBuy veteran back in the day.

Phil@rise 03-23-2010 09:47 AM

Check the obvious before you start ripping things out like battery and alternator connections grounds etc.