REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   FIRST POST! Tail light tint :) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602474-first-post-tail-light-tint.html)

Ryyanbell 01-12-2010 04:13 PM

FIRST POST! Tail light tint :)

Hey guys,

Just wondering how many people here have tinted their tail lights? If you have any pictures to show me would be great :)

and if anyone has how many coats of the tint did you use? How much did you pay for the tint and where did you get it? what kind of primer/clearcoat did you use?

Any info would be great thanks!!!

Truenosan 01-13-2010 06:35 PM

You wouldn't use primer to tint tail lights or else you will have some pretty non functioning ones.

It is usually done with just clearcoat that is tinted to however dark you want it.

nabs 01-13-2010 07:59 PM

use that spray thing, its a transparent black spray you can buy from places like mopac or lordco, i forget what it's called. then throw a layer of clear over it...

Mr.Jay 01-13-2010 08:50 PM

nightshade I think is the name

or I am just tripping out

chk 01-13-2010 09:36 PM

i heard theres smoked vinyl that does this

Blinky 01-13-2010 10:04 PM

One thing to keep in mind: tinting taillights is illegal and can earn you a VI.

Not only that, but you could reduce light visibility to the point that you increase the probability of getting rear-ended.

The choice is yours - just be aware that there are downsides.

Ryyanbell 01-14-2010 08:55 AM

Blinky, yes i realize these facts lol I was just wondering how it was done. I've seen a gti and a type-r around here with tinted yail and they looked sick :)

I don't plan on tinting them too much and yea it is night-shade that i found. Is it really illegal? because like i said i have seen it.

kootenaydub 01-14-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryyanbell (Post 6769714)
Blinky, yes i realize these facts lol I was just wondering how it was done. I've seen a gti and a type-r around here with tinted yail and they looked sick :)

I don't plan on tinting them too much and yea it is night-shade that i found. Is it really illegal? because like i said i have seen it.

So is driving with tires extending past the line of your fender, but I don't see jeeps and 4x4 being pulled over for it.

Only illegal if you get caught!

Here's a very good DIY with VHT nightshades (Lordco), it's for a GTI, but the method is the same.

http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/show...apes-7465.html

Personally, I'm going with tinting film, since it takes 15min to do and if you do get caught by the popo, you can just peel it off opposed to having strip the taillights or buying new ones.

Ryyanbell 01-14-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kootenaydub (Post 6769772)

Personally, I'm going with tinting film, since it takes 15min to do and if you do get caught by the popo, you can just peel it off opposed to having strip the taillights or buying new ones.

where would you purchase this film? Im guessing you could just cut it out for the turn signals too a la cell phone cover lol but thanks for the link!

kootenaydub 01-14-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryyanbell (Post 6769776)
where would you purchase this film? Im guessing you could just cut it out for the turn signals too a la cell phone cover lol but thanks for the link!

There's tinting stuff on ebay, cut out specifically for vehicle tailights, etc, just got to search.

Note: if going with film, make sure you get any scratches polished/buffed out before applying

Ryyanbell 01-14-2010 09:58 AM

Makes sense I guess lol Thanks Kootenay!

shenmecar 01-14-2010 11:54 AM

Just use a can of black paint and a paint brush. If its worth doing, its worth overdoing.

Ryyanbell 01-14-2010 02:21 PM

hahaha thats an interesting quote :P only somewhat true lol