REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Disobey Stop Sign (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602880-disobey-stop-sign.html)

Sensations 01-16-2010 12:18 AM

Disobey Stop Sign

So i got my first ticket today for a rolling stop(section 186) for $144. Is there anyway i could lower this? Heres the story. My friends were drinking and i had to drive them home. So obviously i drove fast incase they barfed or some shit. Ran the stop sign got caught and was pisssed. So yeah ran it because my friends were distracting me bcause obviosuly drunk people are annoying. Could this help? Also the cop got my last name wrong on the ticket, but the car is insured on my dads name. Yeah me and my dad have different last names. Just wondering if its usually like this and would this count for anytihng. And plus i didnt sign the ticket. The cop didnt ask me too. This is probably helpful i hope.
Btw is there tax on the ticket LOL

slammer111 01-16-2010 02:13 AM

Bad luck, but do the crime, do the time imho.

I admit I do "California rolls" here and there if nobody's around (eg it's 2am on a Monday) but yeah, if I were ever caught, I'd suck it up and pay the ticket. Too many stop signs in this town.

sho_bc 01-16-2010 03:58 AM

Signing or not signing it (by you) makes no difference. However, depending on the JJP/error of the spelling of your last name, that *may* be enough for that ticket to be invalid. It also might not though, and the police officer can also request to amend the ticket before the trial begins.

You can lower the fine by paying within 30 days... You save $25.

CRS 01-16-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensations (Post 6772558)
So i got my first ticket today for a rolling stop(section 186) for $144. Is there anyway i could lower this? Heres the story. My friends were drinking and i had to drive them home. So obviously i drove fast incase they barfed or some shit. Ran the stop sign got caught and was pisssed. So yeah ran it because my friends were distracting me bcause obviosuly drunk people are annoying. Could this help? Also the cop got my last name wrong on the ticket, but the car is insured on my dads name. Yeah me and my dad have different last names. Just wondering if its usually like this and would this count for anytihng. And plus i didnt sign the ticket. The cop didnt ask me too. This is probably helpful i hope.
Btw is there tax on the ticket LOL

1. No, your story doesn't help. It isn't a valid defence when you're admitting to the offence that you did. Especially when you have a terrible reason like you were distracted by your drunk friends (could get more severe tickets this way).

2. Read "gray areas".

3. As sho bc stated, doesn't matter. Signature is acknowledgement of receiving ticket not admitting to guilt and is not required to sign.

4. No tax. Can be paid at ICBC and with the early discount, for less!

xilley 01-16-2010 01:03 PM

drunk friends, bad excuse

Sensations 01-16-2010 01:46 PM

hmm how bout if i just say that i couldnt see the sign cuz it was like on the ground or someshit like that. yeah kinda stupied i know but i dont wanna payy haha. Do cop cars have cameras in them at all times?

Gnomes 01-16-2010 01:54 PM

Get your friend to pay

younglude 01-16-2010 02:28 PM

unless you have photographic proof the sign was on the ground, the idea won't work

xilley 01-16-2010 02:34 PM

How is the stop sign on the ground?
if you say your friend fucked with your steering wheel, and caused you to lose focus.
id say its better than "So obviously i drove fast incase they barfed or some shit'

CRS 01-16-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensations (Post 6773030)
hmm how bout if i just say that i couldnt see the sign cuz it was like on the ground or someshit like that. yeah kinda stupied i know but i dont wanna payy haha. Do cop cars have cameras in them at all times?

As suggested, get your friends to pay it or suck it up.

Your excuse is stupid and a lie and if you go to court and say it, you'll be committing a criminal offence.

Sensations 01-16-2010 05:10 PM

haha k guess theres no way out. Gotta just man it up thanks for reply

MaximalLazy 01-16-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 6773036)
Get your friend to pay

Why should his friends pay when the ticket was for a rolling stop performed by the driver?

CRS 01-16-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kranky (Post 6773264)
Why should his friends pay when the ticket was for a rolling stop performed by the driver?

I'm assuming it is because no good deed goes unpunished.

So they were "distracting" him and so they should share some portion of the burden. If I were the drunk friend and was being a douche drunky, I would man up after being sober and offer to pay at the very least my portion of the ticket.

Just a thought.

Gnomes 01-16-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6773325)
If I were the drunk friend and was being a douche drunky, I would man up after being sober and offer to pay at the very least my portion of the ticket.

Just a thought.

I once carpooled with my friend and it's my turn to pay the parking. I put $5 in his cup holder. He got distracted looking at the cup holder and hit someone's rear bumper. I payed for the damage but I couldnt pay for the 'dinged record' that car now have.

If the OP's friend is kind, he can pay for the ticket but he probably couldnt pay for any demerit points.

transcendent 01-16-2010 09:57 PM

Yea, manning up for the ticket would be the the most reasonable thing to do, considering the facts in your story

zulutango 01-16-2010 10:06 PM

So you didn't see the stop sign that you slowed for a California stop. Yep, that'll sound real good in court. Betgter wear bulletproof shoes iffin ya plan to shoot yerself in the foot. ":)

jlenko 01-16-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensations (Post 6773030)
i dont wanna payy

then don't break the law next time, buddy. Driving is a privilege, perhaps you've forgotten that.

Maybe next time your friends should drive with someone who obeys the rules of the road.

MaximalLazy 01-17-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6773325)
I'm assuming it is because no good deed goes unpunished.

So they were "distracting" him and so they should share some portion of the burden. If I were the drunk friend and was being a douche drunky, I would man up after being sober and offer to pay at the very least my portion of the ticket.

Just a thought.

I agree to this to a certain degree. Reason being the OP violated a stop sign rule, which is, and should be, his fault for not paying attention to the stop sign. Whereas if it was an overpassenger ticket, then yeah Man the F up and pay for the ticket.

XtC-604 01-17-2010 01:56 AM

Deleted for obscene comments.

Read the rules of this forum. If you choose to disobey them you will be banned.

MaximalLazy 01-17-2010 02:14 AM

[QUOTE=XtC-604;6773938]Dispute the ticket, and hope the cop doesn't show. Please do elaborate on how disobeying a stop sign is an "useless" issue.

If you can

Gnomes 01-17-2010 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=XtC-604;6773938]Dispute the ticket, and hope the cop doesn't show.
Not all tickets are useless tickets but some of them are stupid.

XtC-604 01-17-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kranky (Post 6773960)
Please do elaborate on how disobeying a stop sign is an "useless" issue.

If you can

ie when i roll to a stop sign at like 5km/h and still get pwned cause i didnt stop lmao

MaximalLazy 01-17-2010 09:15 AM

lol you're right, but my opinions are coming from a person who got into an accident because somebody did a rolling stop and actually CAME OUT into my lane, and crashed.

That said, a lot of people rolls out with low speed BUT doesn't actually scan for cars/pedestrians, and proceeds to turn, which turns into habits thus all the bad drivers who cause all the "ALMOST GOT HIT" threads.

CRS 01-17-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6774096)
ie when i roll to a stop sign at like 5km/h and still get pwned cause i didnt stop lmao

The sign is pretty obvious and the definition of the word is pretty blunt.

STOP as in NOT MOVING.

By saving that 3 seconds it took it stop and look around, was it really worth the ticket vs. gas you saved?

zulutango 01-17-2010 10:50 AM

The very old joke about the southern US Cop who was wacking a robber with his baton....`yàll want me to slow down or yàll want me to stop`, come to mind.