REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Wet seat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603351-wet-seat.html)

simsimi1004 01-20-2010 12:44 PM

Wet seat

somehow my front windows were left half open (im guessing it opened b/c unlock key on the fob was pressed) through the night and it rained hard.
so my driver seat got really wet and 2 days later i can still feel that its not dry. do i just wait it out? its not drying cuz of the cold weather and my garage broke so i couldnt park my car inside.
its slightly starting to smell now but i think thats from the carpet cuz the seats are synth. leather.
g35 2008..

what to do?

MG1 01-20-2010 01:07 PM

Rolls of paper towels and sit on it for awhile. Actually put some weight on it, so you can do something else more useful with your butt. The water is soaked in there and short of taking it apart and wringing out the foam, you will have to just coax it out by adding weight and compressing the foam.

If it were me, I would take the seat out of the vehicle and then take it apart. Hopefully the water didn't cause rusting of the springs or metal under the seat. Actually, most seats have rust on the metal parts already.

BTW, the leather is not what is going to stink. It's the mold that will start to grow inside your seat. Carpet will also start to mold (underlay/noise reduction material). Yuk! There are chemicals that will stop mold from taking over. Talk to detailing guys about that.

I was going to say get Bubba (biggest guy you can find) to sit on your seat, but that could get nasty.

Being a G35, I imagine the seats are electric and are heated. Hopefuly no damage to anything electrical.

Hey, look on the bright side. At least it was rain water.

godwin 01-20-2010 04:08 PM

I would take the seat out and put clean it thoroughly.. you would be amazed how quick the internal steel structure of seats rusts and mold. Consult instructions closely especially if your seat has built in airbags.

Take everything out and get the biggest shop vac you get and vacuum.. water will get sucked out. Then put a layer of cow powder, leave for a while.. then suck again. I would leave a shop light overnight shinning at the affected area (of course you check once a while to make sure it is not burning anything).

Do not put everything back together until everything is dry.

911fanatic 01-20-2010 05:34 PM

Sorry to hear that bud. That sucks soooooo bad. First thing I would pull the seat out. You need to check that the underlay isn't wet. If it is, pull it out and replace it. It'll never dry as most carpet is rubber backed and can't breathe. Underlay is available at most upholstery shops and is very inexpensive. If your underlay is damp, you will get mold and it'll stink like a wet dog! As for the seat, The covers should come off fairly easily. Maybe remove it so the air can get at it and just put a towel on it when you need to drive it.