REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Hit & Run (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603524-drivesmartbc-hit-run.html)

skidmark 01-21-2010 09:04 PM

DriveSmartBC - Hit & Run

Failing to remain at the scene of an accident, or hit and run as it is more commonly known is without a doubt a daily occurrence in British Columbia. We all know that we are doing something seriously wrong when we hit a cyclist, pedestrian or other vehicle on the highway and leave the scene to escape civil and criminal liability. However, we're not quite so worried when the collision is a scrape or a dent in a parking lot or something else that we can convince ourselves is of a minor nature.

Ask anyone who has had to deal with their insurance company after they have suffered a hit and run collision and they will tell you how much it has cost them in time and money to make a claim and have their vehicle repaired. In some cases the frustration is so high that maybe it is a good thing the offending driver was never found! However, the victim's lot is always easier if the offending driver remains and takes responsibility for their actions.

Any collision that causes damage, injury or death to others resulting from the operation of your vehicle requires you to provide assistance and information. In the case of a collision with an unattended vehicle or other property, the driver must take reasonable steps to locate the owner, driver or person in charge and notify them in writing of their identity, the identity of the owner of the offending vehicle and the license plate number of that vehicle.

There is a special case where the property struck is an unattended vehicle. It is sufficient to leave the required information in writing in or on the vehicle in a conspicuous place. Having done this, the next step is to notify your insurance company. It may not be necessary to make a claim, but the notification will avoid problems if that changes later on.

Reference Links

simsimi1004 01-21-2010 09:08 PM

dam door dingers.

cococly 01-21-2010 09:33 PM

Sorry to interupt,

I think I wrote about a police officer slamming his Criuser Door into my car at a shopping mall on this forum a while ago [ 41th AVE @ Victoria Drive ]

I was not in my car at the time ( returning DVD rentals ) , but my sister was in my car.

The cop had already left the scene when I got back, and there was a dent on the car.

And the police officer never showed up or returned to his vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

ie.Leaving a note on his windshield wasn't too good since it was rainning

sho_bc 01-22-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cococly (Post 6781982)
Sorry to interupt,

I think I wrote about a police officer slamming his Criuser Door into my car at a shopping mall on this forum a while ago [ 41th AVE @ Victoria Drive ]

I was not in my car at the time ( returning DVD rentals ) , but my sister was in my car.

The cop had already left the scene when I got back, and there was a dent on the car.

And the police officer never showed up or returned to his vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

ie.Leaving a note on his windshield wasn't too good since it was rainning

Phone the detachment/agency where you are and report it right away, as well as to ICBC. They'll be able to see exactly who is parked there beside you and send them back to you.