REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Removing tint + defrost lines = FAIL? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/604773-removing-tint-defrost-lines-%3D-fail.html)

fliptuner 02-02-2010 02:39 PM

Removing tint + defrost lines = FAIL?

My GF's car had the rear window smashed (don't know if it was vandalism or flying object). It had aftermarket (SUNGuard iirc) tint on it. Good thing the tint held the broken pieces in place at least.

We got the window replaced and the glass shop had it tinted, pre-install, by another shop. When I went to pick up the car, the tint colour was wrong (the glass shop dropped off a piece of the broken glass with tint attached for a sample, to match it up). I talked to the glass shop and said, "Fine, I'll take it to the tint shop and have them re-do it in the right colour." to which he told me the defrost lines would come off with the tint and the whole window would have to be replaced with new tint.

Is this true of newer Honda's ('07 Civic Cpe), that the coating on the defrost lines or the adhesive that bonds the lines to the glass are not as strong as the adhesive on the tint?

I offered them the option of removing the tint from the rear corner windows and replacing them with the rear colour if they did it on site (GF can't spare her car during work hours).

shantz 02-02-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 6799623)
My GF's car had the rear window smashed (don't know if it was vandalism or flying object). It had aftermarket (SUNGuard iirc) tint on it. Good thing the tint held the broken pieces in place at least.

I offered them the option of removing the tint from the rear corner windows and replacing them with the rear colour if they did it on site (GF can't spare her car during work hours).

I've been in the body-shop / glass business for a while and have had little to no success with removing tint from rear windows without ruining the defrost lines. I think that asking the shop to compensate by re-tinting the quarter windows would be the easiest way to go about this. If it was an ICBC claim, you can always follow up with a claim center and ask them to look into a possible solution.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-02-2010 09:27 PM

the defrost lines are very fragile, the tint itself has pretty sticky glue. by removing it, it has a high failure rate for the defrost line not working properly.

jlenko 02-02-2010 11:08 PM

WTF? You guys suck, and I'm no professional tinter.... but I have had NO problem removing rear window tint from 20+ cars now.

Assuming the glue is cured... which takes a couple of days... then you just grab a corner and pull the tint layer off FAST, leaving the glue on the glass. Then you grab some Windex with ammonia in it (the ammonia eats the glue... but not the glass or the defroster lines).

If you pull the tint off slow... yes, it may damage the lines. But I've never busted a single line yet...

BEEB 02-03-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6800597)
WTF? You guys suck, and I'm no professional tinter.... but I have had NO problem removing rear window tint from 20+ cars now.

Assuming the glue is cured... which takes a couple of days... then you just grab a corner and pull the tint layer off FAST, leaving the glue on the glass. Then you grab some Windex with ammonia in it (the ammonia eats the glue... but not the glass or the defroster lines).

If you pull the tint off slow... yes, it may damage the lines. But I've never busted a single line yet...

u've been lucky 20 times !

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-03-2010 06:55 AM

werd

funkychicken 02-03-2010 07:05 AM

try using a steamer (tobi) that what i used to remove my tint

unit 02-03-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEB (Post 6800779)
u've been lucky 20 times !

you mean they've all been cavaliers

SpuGen 02-03-2010 08:49 AM

Here's a tip.

Spray a bunch of windex on the tint cabin side.

Grab a big garbage bag and tape up the area, let it sit under heat for a few hours. Remember to have the tint soaked in it.

Come back after dinner and rip the bitch off.

Why does this work?
The heat will circulate the moisture + ammonia around the area saturating the tint with ammonia. Ammonia eats glue. Glue is the enemy.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-03-2010 09:37 AM

i guess pissing on your window works too since it contains ammonia as well
:p

jlenko 02-03-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6801053)
you mean they've all been cavaliers

No, not all Cavaliers.

I just asked a friend who used to tint windows part time... he said to use Simple Green instead of window cleaner with ammonia. I've never tried SG, but he says it works really well.

fliptuner 02-03-2010 10:46 AM

Thanks for the advice so far. Still waiting to see what the glass shop works out with the tint guys.

Harvey Specter 02-03-2010 02:18 PM

Actually the 3 series E90(sedan) and E92(coupe) have issues with the rear window. I had my rear window done and my tinter had to spend a few hours just doing the rear window.

shenmecar 02-03-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6801121)
i guess pissing on your window works too since it contains ammonia as well
:p

Im gonna cover your car with glue and you can go nuts peeing on your car. :thumbsup:

!Tigger 02-03-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 6801060)
Here's a tip.

Spray a bunch of windex on the tint cabin side.

Grab a big garbage bag and tape up the area, let it sit under heat for a few hours. Remember to have the tint soaked in it.

Come back after dinner and rip the bitch off.

Why does this work?
The heat will circulate the moisture + ammonia around the area saturating the tint with ammonia. Ammonia eats glue. Glue is the enemy.

+1 works like a charm

SpartanAir 02-04-2010 03:59 PM

Hey where do you go to fix defroster lines in Vancouver?

En4cer 02-04-2010 06:40 PM

or u can wait for a hot day and crank up ur heat in the car and turn on the defrosters let that run for a while and use the steam gun and should work like a charm and usually no glue will stick either but if there is just like the guy above said just use windex and the glue should just wipe right off