REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Throttle position sensor acting up (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605299-throttle-position-sensor-acting-up.html)

spitfire86 02-07-2010 01:33 PM

Throttle position sensor acting up

My CEL came on for the TPS sensor after I cleaned my battery terminals and changed my ATF fluid, is this a coincidence that the sensor just went bad at the same time?

Thanks

lexluthor09 02-07-2010 02:44 PM

What car is this for?

Did you disconnect the battery to clean the terminals?

Possibly need to do the TPS reset procedure

spitfire86 02-07-2010 04:24 PM

05 civic SE auto, had the car battery completely disconnected to clean them and while cleaning up the car.

I just got back from a good drive, went into safeway for 45mins and it didn't happen til 2-3 shifts afterwards so it might be temperature related? cause when I first drive the car cold it usually takes a couple shifts to act up and sometimes the whole drive it doesn't even act up(I have an OBD scanner to clear the code).

Theres a TPS reset procedure?(off to google it)

Thanks

lexluthor09 02-07-2010 04:40 PM

Clear the code first and see if it comes back.

The TPS reset/relearn is for like idle control purposes. You can try it (I assumed you meant acting up at idle). But if its happening while driving, that maybe another story.

It involves warming the car up and pulling a fuse. It should be on google.

spitfire86 02-07-2010 04:42 PM

I clear the code before driving and it usually comes back after a couple of shifts.

Lately its revved up to 3800RPM before it shifts.

There are two codes that come up:

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position sensor/switch A - circuit low input
P0122(pd) Throttle/Pedal Position sensor/switch A - circuit low input

I'd change the sensor if it was sold seperately but it only comes with the throttle body unless its aftermarket.

lexluthor09 02-07-2010 07:21 PM

Well first check the wiring diagram and see which ones are the power inputs and see if you have input from there. If there is none (5V reference as well as V+ varied depending on throttle position) then check for breaks in wiring, or grounded wiring.

No point replacing TPS if something else is wrong and its affecting the TPS.

spitfire86 02-07-2010 08:14 PM

Sorry to ask but is there a site online that could provide me with the wiring diagram to where power from that harness originates?

I guess I could wait for it to fault then pull the air filter assembly and check the sensor harness, but if I knew where the power originated, that'd make it much easier.

Puck Luck 02-08-2010 10:34 PM

Yellow/blue is the 5v reference. Green/yellow is ground. red/black is the sensor input