REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #1

Working Out

So i started working out the other day and have no idea what im doing ahaha. Going to buy some protein tmr and some other supplements. Im 5'7 and 160 pounds(kinda chubby). any suggestions on which supplement i should buy to keep my fat in take as low as possible while building muscle. oh and should i take CLA, not sure cause everyone has different opinions about it.
Advertisement

Last edited by Sensations; 02-09-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Sensations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

holy....5'7 and 170 i suggest u skip the protein shakes and other supplements and hit the treadmill for about 24hrs straight
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ don't be an asshole. not everyone is 110 pound skinny prick. he's actually pretty normal.

to OP, skip the supplements for now. Use strength training to change your body composition. I would do circuit training or complexes. Good way to get your metabolism up and to gain lean mass.

Add in some jogging but do it sparingly if you plan to gain lean mass.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
holy....5'7 and 170 i suggest u skip the protein shakes and other supplements and hit the treadmill for about 24hrs straight
Lol, douche.

I'm 5'8 and 170.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Ya no need for douchebag comments.

I would also skip the supplements for now. Work on your cardio more in the beginning to get your endurance up, and work towards circuit training.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Take the money you would use to buy supplements and just buy healthy food. Don't waste your money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
Take the money you would use to buy supplements and just buy healthy food. Don't waste your money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Exactly , i bought protein when i was working out a lot.
Sure it helped gain muscle/mass but after you stop working out as much and still take the protein , it just fucking packs weight on like crazy.
XxFcukxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #8

ohh and haha my bad but i checked today im actually 160 little bit less cause i was carry shit with me. and yeah i bought some healthy snacks and shit today as well. bought cla but didnt buy any protien. i guess ill save it for later on. thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Use the filter/criteria on the left column to find the category of exercises you want

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...1/muscle/chest

3 absolute essential exercises are deadlifts, squats and benchpress, so that's a start for you.

If you're looking into supplements

Look into Optimum Nutrition protein, a bit more expensive but worth every dollar.

80% protein per serving
4g of glutamines (improves recovery speed)
5.5g of bcaa
100% whey isolate ( most pure/expensive form of whey protein )
very easy to mix

since you've already got the mass, now you should condition and tone your existing body mass into muscle.

which means high number of repetitions (aim for 10-12 reps per set) but of lower weights

Last edited by illicitstylz; 02-09-2010 at 07:07 PM.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #10

alright thanks for the advice cant wait for tmr lol
Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
d1

What's your goal for working out? If you want to gain strength/build muslce, try out Rippetoe's program http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752. It's simple with only a few exercises, but it works.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

oh and another thing.

It's critical you warm up, in terms of getting your heart rate up as well as stretching your muscles.

When i get to the gym, i hop on the treadmill, run at different intervals for 3-5 minutes just to get my heart rate going.

strap on my gloves on the last minute when i'm walking on my "cooling" period.

stretch out the muscle group I plan on working out

hit the weights

make sure you hydrate between sets/exercises

do a 15 minute HIIT on the elliptical at the end to keep up my cardio/keep toned

This is of course for an athletic and fit build, different from when I first started which was a pure strength and muscular build.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Re: the supplements and starting a routine.

First, set your goals (endurance, muscle strength, or a little of both), and from there set a cardio and weight workout. Go to exrx.net for a muscle guide and come up with a routine. Make sure you work out most muscles, not just the main ones (biceps, quads, etc) and always make sure if you work one muscle, you also work out the opposite so you dont tear anything once they start to develop.
Do this, or consult a trainer to develop a routine.

Dont get on the supplement band wagon just because you are working out. From the sounds of it, you are just band wagonin it. DONT. Educate yourself, and take it from there. Supplements like protein are for people looking to gain muscle mass and weight, and it should be part of their diet which they will monitor and also have developed. I take supplements like creatine and whey, but have done research and am slightly monitoring it (but by no means am I strict about it, just a loose guideline: 1gr protein/lbs of body weight + 2gr carbs/lbs of body weight, this was told to me by a trainer and apparently is a good way to start developing muscle which is my goal).

Start to build up a base for cardio and weights, go often, and good luck. Once you are more serious and start to actually train and not work out, look into supplements and routines, and diets.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #14

I'd say also to read up on things try ironaddicts.com
Posted via RS Mobile
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Hit up cardio more, 10-15 reps when doing weights.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I have some questions too. Since I started working an office job a year or so ago, I sit around all day and barely use my muscles. I have noticed that I'm starting to have a belly and my ass is getting bigger. I wanna deal with it before it gets out of hand.

I have access to my gf's apartment gym. It has a treadmill, bike, eliptical, some dumbells, and a all in one training ting like Bowflex. Not really interested in getting buff but just wanna be fit. What's the best exercise to do. Obviously cardio is a must, but I dunno wut to do to get rid of the belly. Some of my frds told me sit-up do not work on belly.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

fact: you can't spot reduce(eg situps). you start to lose body fat in the last place you gained it.

do circuit training with weights and then do some running on every other day. nutrition is big. i don't know what you eat, but increase your veggies and lean protein intake. cutout the junk

don't do stupid things like fad diets or starve yourself. be smart. it takes hardwork, there's no easy way.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #18

yeah i googled all this shit and started some sort of diets i guess you can call it. Stopped eating junk food and like food from malls and shit. Also started to just drink water and nothing else. not even like juice and shit.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

belly is the hardest to get rid of since it's the LAST place you'll lose weight so it will definitely take the most work other than having a naturally fast metabolism.

just remember that half of working out is physical, and the other half is mental dedication, and i'm sure many people can agree on that with me.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #20
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
^ don't be an asshole. not everyone is 110 pound skinny prick. he's actually pretty normal.

to OP, skip the supplements for now. Use strength training to change your body composition. I would do circuit training or complexes. Good way to get your metabolism up and to gain lean mass.

Add in some jogging but do it sparingly if you plan to gain lean mass.
lol...dunno what world your from but 170lbs at 5'7 isnt normal at all. I'm telling him the easiest way to lose that weight. Protein shakes will help u build muscle,so you wont be losing much weight. I dunno about you, but if your 5'7 and your fucking thighs look like elephant legs and your arms look like a tree trunk, im sure thats not a turn on for most girls. From what i hear and is proven to work, the best form of encouragement is being harsh, cynical and cruel.
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

come read the sports and fitness forum
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #22
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
lol...dunno what world your from but 170lbs at 5'7 isnt normal at all. I'm telling him the easiest way to lose that weight. Protein shakes will help u build muscle,so you wont be losing much weight. I dunno about you, but if your 5'7 and your fucking thighs look like elephant legs and your arms look like a tree trunk, im sure thats not a turn on for most girls. From what i hear and is proven to work, the best form of encouragement is being harsh, cynical and cruel.
whats normal then? cause we all know the BMI is the best way to look at your weight:height right? whats wrong with having big legs? not everyone wants to look like johnny bravo.

the guy wants to build muscle in order to lose fat and speed up his RMR, so he wants a high protein diet and carbs when necessary (ie. physical activity).
you shouldn't even bother looking at your weight, focus on your body fat % if you want to trim.
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
I don't get it

I use to be 170 pounds and 5"8, I'm now 150 pounds.

The easiest thing to do if you have the time is to stop going to the gym and find a boxing gym. You'll realize early on that coming up with your own workout routine is a drag. For the price of a gym membership, boxing will cost the same and you'll have more fun and be more social.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

what are you objectives by working out? do you want to get cut, or build muscle?

what is you diet like now? I would say to forget about the protein shakes for now and focus on your improving your nutrition.
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
what are you objectives by working out? do you want to get cut, or build muscle?

what is you diet like now? I would say to forget about the protein shakes for now and focus on your improving your nutrition.
There is no point in cutting when you have no muscle to begin with. Focusing on building muscle will also help you lose fat
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote