REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   help with radiator (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605480-help-radiator.html)

jackp0t 02-09-2010 12:10 PM

help with radiator

hope you guys can help me or point me to the light
the car is 92 h23 270 000km
the problem is the coolant looks like a coffee w/ the whitener
i think the oil and coolant are mixing
and i figured it might be a blown head gasket
but the car doesnt over heat
the oil is fine
the outside reaks of smell(coolant)
and randomly the idle goes back n forth from 1 to 2 rpm bu it goes back to normal after
also in the resevoir the coffee like substance was just floating in i think water
coolant suppose to be color green, blue etc
here are some picture;
http://img138.imageshack.us/g/img0043l.jpg/

thanks in advance

godwin 02-09-2010 03:16 PM

Car doesn't overheat doesn't mean anything (eg switch to a higher temp thermostat or just leave the cooling fan on all the time). The only way to diagnose is to do a leak down test. How do you know the oil is fine (via the dip stick?)

If your car smells, the coolant has definitely got into the exhaust. Get it fixed before it ruins the cat.

!SG 02-09-2010 07:47 PM

the idle bounce is the fast idle valve/ intake idle valve. its located just under the throttle body held in place with 3 10mm bolts. its controlled via a spring, heat diaphram, and the temp of ur coolant. so thus, if ur coolant is dirty, then chances are, that may have been clogged and needs taking apart to clean or buying a new one.

flush out the coolant and flush it with water, fill with water, turn on car until the water is to temp, flush out again, fill this time with 50/50 coolant water mix. bleed air out by either running the car hot until ur rad fans turn on, or via bleeder screw located at where ur lower rad hose attaches to the engine, there is a 12mm nut that u open which is a bleeder screw. open it and let air out until u see coolant running out.

wait til car turns on fan, and top up. run that for a few days, if u still smell coolant, then try to locate where it is leaking.

nickmak 02-09-2010 08:58 PM

if you get air in the coolant (ie it went low and you topped it up but didn't bleed it or whatever) your idle will fluctuate

jackp0t 02-09-2010 09:05 PM

yah thats all i can do for now is bleed the coolant out

jackp0t 02-09-2010 09:07 PM

its not really necessary to loosen the drain bolt in the block right
if i run prestone flush or water once or twice
Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6809879)
the idle bounce is the fast idle valve/ intake idle valve. its located just under the throttle body held in place with 3 10mm bolts. its controlled via a spring, heat diaphram, and the temp of ur coolant. so thus, if ur coolant is dirty, then chances are, that may have been clogged and needs taking apart to clean or buying a new one.

flush out the coolant and flush it with water, fill with water, turn on car until the water is to temp, flush out again, fill this time with 50/50 coolant water mix. bleed air out by either running the car hot until ur rad fans turn on, or via bleeder screw located at where ur lower rad hose attaches to the engine, there is a 12mm nut that u open which is a bleeder screw. open it and let air out until u see coolant running out.

wait til car turns on fan, and top up. run that for a few days, if u still smell coolant, then try to locate where it is leaking.

Puck Luck 02-09-2010 11:00 PM

Take off the intake snorkle, just outside the throttle plate should be a hole or two. One leads to the fast idle valve. When the idle starts fluctuating, put your finger over the hole and see if it stops the fluctuating. If it does then it is the fast idle valve. If not, then likely it's the EACV. May be an air pocket in the cooling system. The pocket makes its way to the water temp sensor. ECM see's weird readings from the sensor that doesn't seem right when compared to other sensors and makes the idle fluctuate at a constant pace using the EACV. It's one of the ways the ECM is trying to get your attention.
Not so sure if flushing you coolant is going to do much until you get the head or head gasket fixed