REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   where to have headlight wiring work done? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605845-where-have-headlight-wiring-work-done.html)

red kryptonite 02-12-2010 05:13 PM

where to have headlight wiring work done?

i want to get rid of my drl and auto on low beam and all that mumble-jumble that comes on new cars.
so basically i want a on/off switch for my low beams and fog lights.
can anyone recommand a shop?

thanks in advance...:D

Berzerker 02-12-2010 06:31 PM

Dood just pull the fuse.

Berz out.

Hickman 02-12-2010 06:45 PM

just a FYI, if you do that and get a PVI or GVI you will have to fix it, you can also be ticketed for it. That being said, just pick up a wireing diagram and DIY. But if you dont want to / cant, the only shope that will do that will be tuner shops. Reg auto shope dont want to deal with that shit. so it really depends where you are located on the island.

stevo911_ 02-12-2010 10:41 PM

I dont get it? Easily visible illegal mods that dont accomplish anything?

Overseas Auto1 02-12-2010 10:45 PM

n motion auto

red kryptonite 02-13-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6814438)
Dood just pull the fuse.

Berz out.

ive tried that... doesnt work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6814486)
just a FYI, if you do that and get a PVI or GVI you will have to fix it, you can also be ticketed for it. That being said, just pick up a wireing diagram and DIY. But if you dont want to / cant, the only shope that will do that will be tuner shops. Reg auto shope dont want to deal with that shit. so it really depends where you are located on the island.

thanks for the heads up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6815011)
I dont get it? Easily visible illegal mods that dont accomplish anything?

my aftermarket hid low beam share the same bulb as my drl and because the drl run at a lower power it causes the hid to flicker and die out.

Valk 02-13-2010 10:41 AM

what you can do that doesn't involve cutting anything is installing a relay on your headlight +12v lead, and run a fused direct power from your battery to the ballast.

then, drl or not, your hids will be lit with the full voltage supplied from your battery.

Super Dipper 02-13-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red kryptonite (Post 6815331)
ive tried that... doesnt work.

thanks for the heads up.

my aftermarket hid low beam share the same bulb as my drl and because the drl run at a lower power it causes the hid to flicker and die out.

an external relay kit will solve that problem just fine and keep you legal.

ive run into that a few times with european cars ive installed HID kits in

Valk 02-14-2010 10:20 AM

you dont even really need a kit. you can get 5-12v relays from crappy tire for like $5.. then yo ujust need a 12guage wire or similar with a fuse from your battery to your ballast. ground to the chassis from ballast.

you can do the whole thing for less than $30 i imagine. just follow the wiring instructions on the relay you buy and make sure it has a voltage range of 5-12 volts. the drl circuit in your car runs headlights at 7 volts in drl mode.

Super Dipper 02-14-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valk (Post 6816714)
you dont even really need a kit. you can get 5-12v relays from crappy tire for like $5.. then yo ujust need a 12guage wire or similar with a fuse from your battery to your ballast. ground to the chassis from ballast.

you can do the whole thing for less than $30 i imagine. just follow the wiring instructions on the relay you buy and make sure it has a voltage range of 5-12 volts. the drl circuit in your car runs headlights at 7 volts in drl mode.

or just buy the $30 relay kit, install it and call it a day.

but ya, its not rocket science.

red kryptonite 02-15-2010 01:18 AM

thanks for all the info guys!