REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   requirement to drive on the coquihalla? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605915-requirement-drive-coquihalla.html)

Toeknee 02-13-2010 03:55 PM

requirement to drive on the coquihalla?

My friends and I are planning to go to big white in the next week, we're driving there.

I wasn't sure about what the requirement is to drive on the coquihalla; do I need to have winter tires mounted or is having chains in the trunk sufficient? I tried googling but I only found general winter driving tips but nothing about the traffic law of going through those snowy areas. Could someone please help? Thanks

murd0c 02-13-2010 03:57 PM

Right now with the warm weather just as long as you have good all season tires it should be fine. Normally you should have winter tires and chains as well.

keifun 02-13-2010 05:03 PM

just be sure to check the road conditions online before u go.

drivebc.ca

Blinky 02-13-2010 05:20 PM

IIRC, signs posted just before mountainous roads say that either winter tires w/ good tread or else chains are required between Oct 1 and the end of April.

If the weather is good I don't think anyone will care.

gumnny 02-13-2010 07:12 PM

I just drove from Calgary to Vancouver with Summer Tires , The Road was not too bad , WET Rain All the way , Temperature in -2 to plus 2 through out the mountains

underscore 02-13-2010 08:38 PM

like the above said, and prepare for the worst. have the chains and know how to use them, keep a shovel and some sand in the car, some blankets, a couple candles and some matches (a lit candle in a car provides enough heat to keep you alive).

fliptuner 02-13-2010 10:13 PM

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

What car are you taking and what tires are on it?

Toeknee 02-13-2010 11:51 PM

my civic si, heh. some crappy all season tire

i might just buy some random chains and put them in the trunk in case they check me. I have 0 intention of ever mounting it though since it'll ruin my rims...

Prostrho 02-14-2010 10:32 AM

Just drove from Calgary to Vancouver on Friday.

Absolutely beautiful drive. Weather was perfect. U won't have problems with Summer tires.

penner2k 02-14-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toeknee (Post 6816351)
I have 0 intention of ever mounting it though since it'll ruin my rims...

Yah you wouldnt want to do that.. better to just crash your car..

TekDragon 02-14-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6816730)
Yah you wouldnt want to do that.. better to just crash your car..

Not understanding here the lack of respect for nature. You should at least have chains that fit your tires properly. You may need them, it's hard to say. Hopefully it's good weather for you, but man, be prepared for that shit.