REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Richmond RCMP Volunteer Oppurtunities? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606031-richmond-rcmp-volunteer-oppurtunities.html)

hchang 02-14-2010 11:03 PM

Richmond RCMP Volunteer Oppurtunities?

I'm not sure whether I should be posting this to the volunteer section or police section... this one seems more rather fitting, pardon me if I'm wrong.

I need to have some volunteer work for school law related and was wondering if any of you guys know of any programs or things I can do with the RCMP? I tried asking the community police stations but they've been no help at all.

zulutango 02-15-2010 06:54 AM

I suggest that you contact the Detachment itself and ask to speak to the Member in charge of Community Policing. They should have all sorts of opportunities for someobody wanting to volunteer.

PHO? 02-15-2010 10:10 PM

i am currently volunteering with a crime prevention program and hoping to go further onto rcmp auxiliary constable program. how is the process like? long and difficult?

zulutango 02-16-2010 07:49 AM

It depends when they are next doing training classes for the Aux. programme. Usually thery wait until they get a number of vacancies as the training takes several months of evenings and weekends etc. Better to do it once for 6 than six times for one. The Community Policuing Member can tell you these things. The Aux. programme is a really good introduction if you are considering a career in Law Enforcement. I did 8 years as an Aux. Member before I joined as a regular Member. Gives you a chance to test ride the job before signing up for real.

Five-Oh 02-17-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6817507)
I'm not sure whether I should be posting this to the volunteer section or police section... this one seems more rather fitting, pardon me if I'm wrong.

I need to have some volunteer work for school law related and was wondering if any of you guys know of any programs or things I can do with the RCMP? I tried asking the community police stations but they've been no help at all.

Your best bet to volunteer in Richmond is either through the auxiliary program or at the community policing stations. The auxiliary program is quite a large time commitment whereas the community policing stuff is a bit less, so it is up to you.

Call the detachment non-emergency number (604-278-1212) and ask to speak to the auxiliary coordinator or a community policing member depending on what you are interested in and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

hchang 02-19-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6820864)
Your best bet to volunteer in Richmond is either through the auxiliary program or at the community policing stations. The auxiliary program is quite a large time commitment whereas the community policing stuff is a bit less, so it is up to you.

Call the detachment non-emergency number (604-278-1212) and ask to speak to the auxiliary coordinator or a community policing member depending on what you are interested in and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

They've been no help.

The programs they showed me were 19+ and told me that I needed to be screened too, which can take up to a couple months due to the Olympics being in place, and them having to scree a lot of people.

The main RCMP detachment building sent me to community policing stations.
Any other places?

Sp0r3 02-20-2010 11:38 AM

I don't think there are any volunteer positions for policing which does not have the 19+ requirement. So what is the hurry on the volunteering? What does it matter if it takes a little time to process your application? Since you mentioned the 19+ requirement, I'm assuming its for the volunteer hours for high school? In that case, I would suggest that you should look for something else as your volunteer hours. I don't think community policing should be something a person would just do 30 hours of and quit afterward. Some people actually use this to pursue a career in the law enforcement field.

willystyle 02-20-2010 12:30 PM

Come volunteer at a VPD Community Policing Centre. You don't need to be 19 and over to join our staff.

hchang 02-20-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp0r3 (Post 6824923)
I don't think there are any volunteer positions for policing which does not have the 19+ requirement. So what is the hurry on the volunteering? What does it matter if it takes a little time to process your application? Since you mentioned the 19+ requirement, I'm assuming its for the volunteer hours for high school? In that case, I would suggest that you should look for something else as your volunteer hours. I don't think community policing should be something a person would just do 30 hours of and quit afterward. Some people actually use this to pursue a career in the law enforcement field.

My teacher said that in the past a lot of students have volunteered with the RCMP community police stations so he recommended me to do that instead.

I need I think 70 or 80 hours before school ends, or something roughly around there. There's nothing else thats really law related aside from a lawyers office, which the teacher has told me he'd not recommend me doing cause all they really make you do is file papers, where you learn nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6824956)
Come volunteer at a VPD Community Policing Centre. You don't need to be 19 and over to join our staff.

How do I get in?

And yes this course is to help me pursue a career in law enforcement, looking to join the VPD and am taking Criminology next year in post secondary.

eFx[A2C] 02-20-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6824956)

Which one do you volunteer at ?
For South Van cpc you need to be 19 unless you are a capp student/career prep.

hchang 02-20-2010 08:56 PM

^ I'm doing this for career prep.

willystyle 02-21-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] (Post 6825259)
Which one do you volunteer at ?
For South Van cpc you need to be 19 unless you are a capp student/career prep.

Hastings Sunrise..

I got a high school kid that was on patrol with me last week. He told me he's 18 still.

PHO? 02-22-2010 05:13 PM

So I shared a tent with the RCMP during the olympics and got the chance to speak to some of them. I asked them about the Aux Program and they actually suggested NOT to join the program. To my knowledge prior to speaking with the two officers, i thought it would be a great opportunity for me to see how its like as a regular member, and also to build my resume when i apply. The officers basically said its a waste of time becuase its a 2 years commitment program, you have to be dedicated for that whole 2 years, and if you leave early, its going to look bad. After speaking to them, they didn't say a single positive thing about the prgoram. Any thoughts? thanks

sho_bc 02-23-2010 10:50 AM

All the Aux. Csts that I've had ride with me love what they do. For many of them though, its a "second job". They've got their careers and their life sorted out, they're not planning on joining as a regular member, but they want to help out and also see what it is we really do.

We have a guy who was an Aux. Cst. in Richmond for 2 years, and he's more than half-way through Depot right now. He put in more hours as an Aux. Cst. during that 2 years than anyone I've ever met. He learned a TON about real-world policing.

Depending on the person, that can either help you a lot in Depot, or it can sink you. Depot focuses mainly on Criminal Code and barely touches on common law and case law. It doesn't even look at provincial or municipal laws because everyone gets sent everywhere. Our Aux Cst. that is there now has kept an open mind, let others learn and not been a know-it-all.

If you feel you can wait the 2 years, becoming an Aux Cst. can be an excellent experience. Most of us like having a knowledgeable Aux. Cst. riding with us, or at least one that is willing to learn. Most of the people I work with haven't been Auxiliaries, but the ones that were, loved it. If you don't want to wait the 2 years and wouldn't have the time to commit to it, don't do it. (keep in mind though, applications can take up to or longer than 2 years... Mine was 18 months)

zulutango 02-23-2010 12:17 PM

I did 8 years as an Aux. before I joined as a Regular Member, one year over 1600 hrs..small Detachments out East Coast. It is a HUGE help to you at Depot if you decide to join. In a small Detachment I got to do everything a Regular Member did, except get paid. Used to pre-write the paperwork for the Regular Mamber and they would fill in the blanks & sign. Great training and saved lots of time.