REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Transmission Coolers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606071-transmission-coolers.html)

subordinate 02-15-2010 02:50 PM

Transmission Coolers

Anyone know any stores in Vancouver that carry external trans coolers for a decent price. Lordco? Etc.

[Coolers rated for just regular cars, sedans, etc]

I tried the junkyard, and....nothing.

fliptuner 02-15-2010 02:59 PM

Any parts store will carry them. You just need to decide on how much room you have to mount one. Get the biggest one that fits and make sure you connect it in series with your rad.

HondaGuy 02-15-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 6818172)
Anyone know any stores in Vancouver that carry external trans coolers for a decent price. Lordco? Etc.

[Coolers rated for just regular cars, sedans, etc]

I tried the junkyard, and....nothing.

Lordco does sell external transmission cooloer, I was told that B&M trans cooler works well. Wasnt very costly, affordable priced.

Mine came with my SC as a package when bought, works pretty well when installed and suppose to maintain tranny for long run.

Good luck.

!SG 02-15-2010 04:33 PM

lordco and overseas auto both carry tranny coolers.

take measurements on which one u can fit.

http://www.revscene.net/SorrGwa/Sony/DSC01684a.jpg
http://www.revscene.net/SorrGwa/Sony/DSC01691a.jpg

impactX 02-15-2010 06:45 PM

I got my B&M from Mopac. I didn't get the biggest one as those are rated for heavy duty trucks.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Coolers

jlenko 02-15-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 6818461)
I got my B&M from Mopac.

You probably paid too much for it then :haha:

Why do you think you need an auxiliary cooler? What kind of temps are you running right now? Most trans coolers are rated for the amount of temperature drop you need... best to know that kind of stuff instead of just running the biggest one you can fit. Running it too cold will help gum up the transmission...

SpuGen 02-16-2010 01:26 AM

Not if you run a Remote Thermostat.

If you car comes with one stock, just get one slightly bigger and run the remote thermostat.
If not, Just get any average sized one that fits. It's pointless to get the biggest one if theres no use for it.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-16-2010 07:31 AM

how critical and important is it to get tranny oil cooler?

under what condition? if the oil gets too hot, wat happens?

Great68 02-16-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6819175)
how critical and important is it to get tranny oil cooler?

under what condition? if the oil gets too hot, wat happens?

Mostly for Automatic transmissions, if the vehicle is put into heavy duty service, such as towing, racing etc...

If the oil get too hot, it has the potential to burn clutch packs and bands, possibly even burn seals.

subordinate 02-16-2010 09:48 AM

#1 killer of transmissions is heat.

Especially if its' just stop and go traffic, the transmission fluid can get pretty hot.

Or hilly areas, et cetera.

I'm getting one because, for the added 70 dollars in cost, it's a small investment to prolong the life of the transmission.

And as a couple of members have already mentioned, don't go overboard, if you do, make sure its' remote switch, where you can control it.

Edit: As Great68 said, yeah, it's good for automatics because of the tranny's inefficiency at lower speeds.

Great68 02-16-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 6819273)

Edit: As Great68 said, yeah, it's good for automatics because of the tranny's inefficiency at lower speeds.

Transmission coolers are pretty much only for automatics.

!Aznboi128 02-16-2010 10:15 AM

98-05 accords, 99-03TLs should get tranny cooler's

it's highly recommended to extend the life of the tranny from 4years to 4.5
:p

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-16-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 6819273)
#1 killer of transmissions is heat.

Especially if its' just stop and go traffic, the transmission fluid can get pretty hot.

Or hilly areas, et cetera.

I'm getting one because, for the added 70 dollars in cost, it's a small investment to prolong the life of the transmission.

And as a couple of members have already mentioned, don't go overboard, if you do, make sure its' remote switch, where you can control it.

Why is stop and go so bad on the tranny? i would imaging towing or racing on the track where u are constantly shifting at high rpm, thats when the fluid gets really hot. Stop and go you are constantly shifting yes, but around 2000-3000rpm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6819282)
Transmission coolers are pretty much only for automatics.

so not necessarily for manual gear box?

Bonka 02-16-2010 12:41 PM

The shifting of gears generates heat, and in stop and go driving the transmission is constantly upshifting and downshifting.

You mind as well flush out the old fluid and replace it with synthetic ATF while you're at it.

I got my B&M from Jegs for about $70 with duties included.

!SG 02-16-2010 01:46 PM

depends on what u consider a tranny cooler.

my GS came with one, its called the lower 1inch of radiator devoted to the tranny oil only (the radiator will have 2 additional lines near or at the bottom). hence why some cars, when u go looking for a radiator replacement, it will list a "manual only" radiator.

with how big my car is, a lot of guys add an addiational tranny cooler to the system. safe measure, and good if u plan on putting out more hp's than the engine and tranny is suppose to handle.