REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   HELP! car starts, hesitates then stalls (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607328-help-car-starts-hesitates-then-stalls.html)

!Aznboi128 03-01-2010 02:24 PM

HELP! car starts, hesitates then stalls

car: 99 accord v6

started the car after 30 min of drive. starts then revs drops then stalls.

tried it again same thing

3rd time I gave it some gas and it revs up then stalls

now it can start and run but idle's low and hesitates...

any suggestions?

lexluthor09 03-01-2010 05:53 PM

Any Check engine lights on?
Whens the last time you had a tune up on it? (Fuel filter, plugs, etc, etc).

Sounds like a dirty fuel filter or a clogged EGR (but the EGR would throw a code) from what you've described but it'd have to be pretty dirty to get that bad.

Anymore info?

!Aznboi128 03-01-2010 05:56 PM

engine light was on but went off

tune up was last year ... so I was thinking fuel lines as well.
what's the best way to check the fuel filter?

come to think of it I usually out 91 in the tank and yesterday I cheaped out and out 89....

lexluthor09 03-01-2010 08:02 PM

Best way to check a fuel filter would be to disconnect the line from there, prime the engine and see if any crap comes outta the line. Or take out the filter completely and empty it and see if it flows well or not/crap comes out.

Common misconception is that higher octane is better for a car that doesn't require it. I believe that back then Hondas ran only on 87/89. The reasoning behind that is octane number is an antiknock number, so the higher the number, the higher the resistance to burning. In other words you're not doing anything to help the engine run better by pumping 91. Just waste of money. (If you experience pinging at 89 that's a different story).

Anyways, if you had a tune up last year I think that the fuel filter would be changed. Do you know what was done during that tune up? How long was that engine light on for (during the stall? or when it was hesitating?).

!Aznboi128 03-01-2010 08:12 PM

engine light was on while driving for a while couple weeks ago, restarted the car and it was gone.

I used 91 because it has no ethanol, and everywhere just says its better. In the tune up i knew the fuel filter wasn't looked at, cause it was more or less just spark plugs/wires, filters and what not.

thanks man, I'll check it out 1st and will report back

lexluthor09 03-01-2010 08:15 PM

If you can get a scanner on it and see if it comes up (codes will be stored in history, it won't show a light because it's not cat damaging, or its no longer present), and see what that says as well.

FN-2199 03-01-2010 08:25 PM

I've been having a similar problem lately after changing the fuel filter and switching to synthetic oil.
Check engine light comes on but the car runs fine. However, if I turn the car off and try to restart it, the engine starts, hesitates, then stalls. After that point, it won't start for a good minute or two then starts fine.

Weeeiirrrd.

lexluthor09 03-01-2010 08:55 PM

iRomey, I happen to have the same problem as you but I don't think its related to the fuel filter/synthetic oil (I've tried switching back).

I start the car, it either cranks but no start, or it starts spudders and dies. Go to restart it after a few seconds no problems. This has happened to a lot of civics of our year.

One thing I haven't checked yet is the FITV and IACV. So try checking that.

Both of you if you can check to see what your CEL says that'd be helpful (I don't get CEL when it happens).

!Aznboi128 03-01-2010 09:13 PM

^ will do tmr morning!

thanks man!

!Aznboi128 03-01-2010 10:06 PM

Just went to try it out again, but this time i turn the key to acc and waited couple of seconds. Heard the fuel pump do it's thing but sounded odd. then started with no problems ....

so fuel pump or could still be filter?

jing 03-01-2010 10:28 PM

Another way to check fuel filter is to remove it, attach a tube onto it and blow into it. If there's a lot of resistance it's probably clogged. Fuel filters aren't expensive to begin with and if you say that it hasn't been changed in awhile, might be worth changing anyways.

I had a similar issue before on my car and it turns out it was a bad FPR due to my upgraded fuel pump putting too much pressure into it

Puck Luck 03-02-2010 12:11 AM

99 v-6 Accords don't have any replaceable fuel filters

Puck Luck 03-02-2010 07:49 AM

my mistake, it does have one. its just a screen that fits on to the end of the fuel pump.
You can remove the fuel pump through the access hole in the floor of the trunk, just behind the rear seat back. Its just something that isnt replaced as a regular maintence thing

spoon.ek9 03-02-2010 05:18 PM

do what i did today, check your TB and IACV. cleaned my IACV today and it seems to have corrected my issue with high idle/hesitation.

InsOmnIa 03-02-2010 06:57 PM

fuel relay could be shoot....

smoothie. 03-02-2010 07:48 PM

i had an issue with the car not being able to restart after a drive.

it was the main relay - cracked solder joints

car would start idle for half a second and die

!Aznboi128 03-02-2010 11:33 PM

I'm going to try the relay as well as the IACV as those are the two easiest things 1st.

However, as the car sits right now it's fine.

LenovoTurbo 03-03-2010 12:05 AM

Might also be a vacuum leak somewhere.

lexluthor09 03-03-2010 12:10 PM

I've found for me that when I auto start I never have that problem. Only when I'm using the key and cranking manually.

I'm searching more a long the lines of electrical/ignition switch issues (or main relay)

storms 03-03-2010 06:51 PM

Like what spoon.ek9 said clean the IACV, There prone to gumming up on our accords I have had the same prob as have others I have talked to, you have to buy the gasket from Honda! Surprisingly enough it's cheap!!

HondaGuy 03-04-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznboi128 (Post 6838737)
car: 99 accord v6

started the car after 30 min of drive. starts then revs drops then stalls.

tried it again same thing

3rd time I gave it some gas and it revs up then stalls

now it can start and run but idle's low and hesitates...

any suggestions?

OK...from what I am reading...you're saying the Accord starts, drive for 30 mins...then stalls? So the car dies?

Heres the issue. I have a 99 CG-2 as well. Its the ignition switch. Its a Honda recall. I have a list of the 98-99 Accord VIN numbers that were affected, but I cant find it.

It happened to me... where I would be driving, and the car slowly drops (rev limiter decreases) and then stops. Completely stopped.
I had to restart the car and sometimes it would start and not start.

Go to Honda Dealership and tell them that 99 Accords has a ignition switch recall. The part itself is FREE, you sign a notice saying you are aware and allow Honda to fix the issue. I think they want you to sign cause its a one time fix only. Then they will install it for you. ( I dont know if install is free or not cause I told the parts guy my mechanic will do it for me.) But install should be free if its recalled, I think.

He will give you a notice with all 98-99 Accords VIN stating the issue and why it has happened.

Basically what happened is the ignition switch contains many wires connecting to the solenoid, and after extensive usage (with key starting) some of the solder has worn off or just doesnt connect securely. This is why your Accord dies suddenly and occasionally.

Hopefully this works out for you. I am trying to piece together your words with the issue at hand.